I remember when I was king for an hour or two

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Back in the day, I can remember some elite 4 square games at recess at lol high skool.

Nothing better than standing at queen just before the bell went for period 3, (probably a lol English or SOSE class) then go into an elite head to head rally with king just as the bell goes and king makes a decent low shot to the otherside of the court. I have to make a swooping dive shot just to get to the ball. I end up getting grazes on my forearms and elbows, but to my relief, it has bounced in the kings bottom left corner well out of the kings reach and I'm the starting king for lunch.

Wowee :cool:

I was my primary school's unquestioned downball champ. Admittedly I struggled in my first year of high school due to stiffer competition & other kids enjoying growth spurts, but by grade 7 I'd resumed my rightful place as the all-conquering force... which was right about the same time all my mates suddenly lost interest in the game, ******* pussies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four square & down ball stopped after Grade 6.
As did marbles, coke (the drink) yo-yo's and flicks.
Once lost Peter Hudson from the Scanlens 1969 set but already had 4 of him.
Gave the winner the card that smelled the least of the chewy.

Flicks was still huge in Form1 at my high school. Played it every day until it got banned.

Yep lucky bastards. We had to make our own rocks out of goat turds after we'd been milking them since 4am then walking 28 miles to school with no shoes and a bag made from a pig's scrotum.

True story, my high school was built on a former garbage tip site. Our footy oval had no grass, just dirt with rocks and other landfill that would continually come up to the surface. Keeping your feet was an essential skill. We would often play footy on the concreted areas of the yard because it was safer.

I was my primary school's unquestioned downball champ. Admittedly I struggled in my first year of high school due to stiffer competition & other kids enjoying growth spurts, but by grade 7 I'd resumed my rightful place as the all-conquering force... which was right about the same time all my mates suddenly lost interest in the game, ******* pussies.

When do you graduate?

We had only one school footy - and it was a rock
Our Primary school had a gravel playing field, so playing kick to kick involved much blood flowing, the advantage of this was after severe gravel rash on the knees you could easily win the bet on who could catch the most flies in a break.

There is now grass on this play area and we wonder why kids of today are so soft.

Our Primary school had a gravel playing field, so playing kick to kick involved much blood flowing, the advantage of this was after severe gravel rash on the knees you could easily win the bet on who could catch the most flies in a break.

There is now grass on this play area and we wonder why kids of today are so soft.

Think I mentioned it before on here but one of the boundaries on our “oval” was a 2m tall stone wall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back