I support "Port Power", not "Port Adelaide Football Club Est. 1870"!

Remove this Banner Ad

A mod really should move this to the deleted thread bin.

The argument has been done to death. Nuetrals don't care and 99% of Port supporters are sick of it too.

It's over man.

PortPowerLogo.jpg

There is no such team or logo, how can you support it ?? :confused:

Bad OP is bad. Why a Crows supporter would go to such lengths is beyond me.

Honestly, if Port decided to become a quasi "Southern Adelaide Sharks" or equivalent it would fold in 5 years, or would be on more AFL life support than the current Port club.

The heritage, culture, tradition and history of success is the beating heart of this club. Without it, the vast, vast, vast, vast majority of Port fans would simply walk away.

The thing that you don't understand Alberton_Magpie is that there simply isn't some magical abundance of footy fans in SA waiting patiently for Port to renege on its history so they can jump on board. THEY DON'T EXIST.

People are attracted to successful traditional sporting clubs - Green Bay, Manchester United, Juventus, Boston Celtics, Yankees etc etc

We should be (and are) re-establishing links and ties to the traditional supporter base, that consolidation, along with a pro-longed period of success will hopefully put this club back where it belongs.

the NFL and NBA change and move franchises around all the time not a good exampe. Just outside of LA they are building stadia without tenants just to lure other teams there.

Secondly, the only people who think that a second composite team (bearing in mind thats exactly what Port are, it's not like the 1996 SANFL side went in) wouldn't work, fold within 5 years or be on AFL life support more than Port are those with a vested interest in the response ....... Port fans.

No one else thinks that. And GC and GWS will prove it. GC are a classic example of it with the Southport v New club argument.

So many Port threads on the main board within the last 2-3 days. Pleasant change from the usual St. Kilda vs Collingwood, Essendon sucks/who thinks they suck now, Random Carlton thread started by Collingwood supporter, Random GWS speculation.

Hopefully it has run it's course though, I am looking forward to the "Richmond will be the best team in x years" thread. I figure a couple of days before Round 1 as an attempt to pre-maturely distract everyone by claiming that their list has the most talent

the NFL and NBA change and move franchises around all the time not a good exampe. Just outside of LA they are building stadia without tenants just to lure other teams there.

Secondly, the only people who think that a second composite team (bearing in mind thats exactly what Port are, it's not like the 1996 SANFL side went in) wouldn't work, fold within 5 years or be on AFL life support more than Port are those with a vested interest in the response ....... Port fans.

No one else thinks that. And GC and GWS will prove it. GC are a classic example of it with the Southport v New club argument.

Actually a fair chunk of it did. From memory there were 12/13 players from the 1996 SANFL side (the likes of Tredders, Francis, Mead, Brown, Wilson etc) that made the move to the AFL, not to mention the coach aswell. And this doesn't include the likes of Wangas, Lyle etc who returned to the club after their time interstate. Obviously the entire SANFL team was never gonna make it because the AFL was (and of course still is) way above the SANFL in terms of quality, but to say that Port is a "composite" side is total BS and ignorant of the facts.

As for a second composite side in SA it would fail miserably, especially now if it was to kill off Port and replace them in the AFL. The vast majority of Port's 30/35% market share would tell the "Southern Whatevers" to stick it up their plastic arse, so the only sizable support they would receive is from Camry turncoats. So even if a massive one in four Crows supporters turned their back on the AFC (highly unlikely, but bare with me for the sake of argument) the "SW's" would still only have roughly half of Port's current supporter base if its lucky. Total dreamland stuff. And if you think that heaps of Port fans would get on board then ask yourself, would you support a team that replaced the Crows in the AFL? If your answer is yes you are not a real supporter, and most probably just a s**t bloke.

Since 2004 Port have made the finals twice in the six seasons since.

Those two seasons they played finals ended in 84 and 119 point losses.

Any club with that record in recent times is going to suffer a massive drop off in crowds. And they have.

Get back to playing a brand of footy people respect (not Chocos 2006-10 experiment) win games and play finals and the people will come back. And remember we are all moving to Adelaide Oval soon, a venue that we are told more people will come to.

Primus is talking the talk, from next Saturday onwards he and his players have to walk it.

Bad OP is bad. Why a Crows supporter would go to such lengths is beyond me.

Honestly, if Port decided to become a quasi "Southern Adelaide Sharks" or equivalent it would fold in 5 years, or would be on more AFL life support than the current Port club.

The heritage, culture, tradition and history of success is the beating heart of this club. Without it, the vast, vast, vast, vast majority of Port fans would simply walk away.

The thing that you don't understand Alberton_Magpie is that there simply isn't some magical abundance of footy fans in SA waiting patiently for Port to renege on its history so they can jump on board. THEY DON'T EXIST.

People are attracted to successful traditional sporting clubs - Green Bay, Manchester United, Juventus, Boston Celtics, Yankees etc etc

We should be (and are) re-establishing links and ties to the traditional supporter base, that consolidation, along with a pro-longed period of success will hopefully put this club back where it belongs.

I am not a crows supporter, I am a power supporter. And I think the argument of trying to be traditional like the past is useless when you have a different guernsey, logo and nickname. People do not look deeper into it than that, its all face value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and this /\ - well said! :thumbsu:

... and for Alberton Magpie - if the Port, as an AFL club was established in 1996 from where did it originate?

yeh totally ...

what sort of d... would fail to recognise our history...

what an amazing coincidence..in 1996 a club started out of nowhere and incredibly it decided to use a name that another club was using (did no one tell them the name was aready in use?...hey lucky they weren't sued)

more amazing was how this brand new club managed to get an AFL licence before Norwood ..Norwood must be shaking their heads that a brand new organisation would get the licence before them with their established history of running a club

Gee the AFL must have looked at Norwood's supporter base in Adelaide and projected future crowds and their potential and existing sponsors and thought

..nah we'll take a punt on a brand new club out of nowhere with no figures or projections or existing supporters..?!?

how stupid is this way of thinking..

are you a Crow supporter?

Must admit, I actually didn't read your post, but maybe if more people went to your games you'd have more $$$$.......get on board Port supporters! Altho, AAMI stadium is a craphole in the middle of nowhere so I understand why Port people don't go...isn't it a fair way from Port Adelaide as well?? Must admit, maximun respect to you for allowing beers at your games tho when the blue rinse crows refuse to allow it.

Also aren't you moving to Adelaide oval soon, that will have to help.

Never fear, I'll be over there to boost the gate takings to see us give you a football lesson in round 9.

AAMI Stadium is at West Lakes, where the main car park is a shopping centre and there is no train station, the only public transport are buses. So, yes, it is not in the ideal spot, hence the AFL move to the Adelaide Oval. West Lakes is closer to Port Adelaide than Adelaide.

I am not a crows supporter, I am a power supporter. And I think the argument of trying to be traditional like the past is useless when you have a different guernsey, logo and nickname. People do not look deeper into it than that, its all face value.

So instead of educating the ignorant, loudly declare your intention to stand shoulder to shoulder spreading their misinformation with them? Makes sense.

The Port Adelaide Football Club was founded in 1870, they played in the SANFL, won a s**t ton of premierships then got an AFL licence.

The Adelaide Football Club and Port Adelaide Football Club get raped by the SANFL every year to fill their coffers.

Port Adelaide and Adelaide have had lower crowds for a number of reasons:

Playing poorly.
s**t stadium.
s**t fixture.
Live broadcasts of home games.
Global Financial Crisis.
Old members who are too old and frail to go to game.

I thought I would just let you try and work out the subtle difference between my point and your strawman without any help, but decided to bold the key word for ya as I am a good bloke.

Well, no-one else other than the AFL, and the SANFL and practically everyone that matters.

anal, as much as I would like my teenage wet dreams to come true, more often than not they don't, and I can tell you yours wont either. Port have been around for 130+ years and will be around for 130 more, despite some of the inferiority complexes that permeate throughout the plastic, corporate business that is the Adelaide Cows.

"...Hey gaiz! Lets invent a "traditional" looking shield and put est 1990 on it! That way we can pretend to be a traditional football club instead of a bastard mutated spawn franchise..."

The AFL is a modern, sophisticated, well run and pretty ruthless corporate entity. If they thought for one second that the Southern Sharks would be a more profitable or sustainable model, guess what? We would have the Southern Sharks playing today...

buuuuttt we don't, do we? ;)

Maybe you do.

It is unbelievably arrogant to assume everyone else does as well.

The Port Adelaide Football Club was founded in 1870, they played in the SANFL, won a s**t ton of premierships then got an AFL licence.

The Adelaide Football Club and Port Adelaide Football Club get raped by the SANFL every year to fill their coffers.

Playing poorly.
s**t stadium.
s**t fixture.
Global Financial Crisis.
No need to bring logic, reason and thought into this.

Please cease and desist.

Must admit, I actually didn't read your post, but maybe if more people went to your games you'd have more $$$$.......get on board Port supporters! Altho, AAMI stadium is a craphole in the middle of nowhere so I understand why Port people don't go...isn't it a fair way from Port Adelaide as well?? Must admit, maximun respect to you for allowing beers at your games tho when the blue rinse crows refuse to allow it.

Also aren't you moving to Adelaide oval soon, that will have to help.

Never fear, I'll be over there to boost the gate takings to see us give you a football lesson in round 9.

No its not. AAMI is a 10 minute drive down the road from Port Adelaide. About the same distance that Alberton is from Port Adelaide.

Playing poorly.
s**t stadium.
s**t fixture.
Global Financial Crisis.

^ :thumbsu:

So your argument is that because non South Australians don't care about our pre AFL history, we should forget about it? The club wouldn't exist without all that came before the AFL bid. Without Fos Williams, Bob Quinn and the like, you'd be supporting the southern sharks or an equally generic composite side in the AFL.

If you like the sound of a brand new composite club that has no connection to the past, (and I know it's ubercliche to say it) perhaps you need to have a look over the road. The history and the club are one and the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back