I support "Port Power", not "Port Adelaide Football Club Est. 1870"!

Feb 24, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Giants, Adelaide Strikers
I am writing this on the AFL board because 98% of Port Adelaide supporters on here actually believe that the reason why we are badly supported on and off the field is because of an "identity issue".

I have come to realize that I was a child that grew up supporting Port Adelaide in the AFL, a team that was happy being called "Port Power". A team that was alright on the field and played an exciting brand of football. A team that eventually became successful and won a premiership in 2004.

Then when we stopped winning we needed to find a reason for the fans going away, and the best reason we came with was our image and identity was tarnished. Now we are "Port Adelaide Football Club, Formerly the Magpies, now the Power and Established in 1870". However in this attempt to change the direction on and off the field in the past 2 season, attendances, revenue and membership numbers have never been worse.

I would like to thank our fans for pushing this identity change and alienating other fans who are not obsessed with our SANFL history. We will never be the magpies again, We are PORT POWER so stop trying to change things because you are essentially doing more harm than good.

P.S. I do realize I am Alberton_Magpie, I used to follow the SANFL Magpies until this whole identity issue surfaced.

I believe that Port Adelaide should bite the bullet stop being so SANFL orientated (The past is not the answer for the future) and make the following changes. Recognize that we as an AFL Club were established in 1996, and also recognize as an AFL Club that only AFL premierships are relevant.

PortPowerLogo.jpg

PPFCHome.jpg

PPFCAway.jpg

Oct 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Must admit, I actually didn't read your post, but maybe if more people went to your games you'd have more $$$$.......get on board Port supporters! Altho, AAMI stadium is a craphole in the middle of nowhere so I understand why Port people don't go...isn't it a fair way from Port Adelaide as well?? Must admit, maximun respect to you for allowing beers at your games tho when the blue rinse crows refuse to allow it.

Also aren't you moving to Adelaide oval soon, that will have to help.

Never fear, I'll be over there to boost the gate takings to see us give you a football lesson in round 9.

PAUR

Club Legend
Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 10, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea
Image is nothing, thirst is everything. But seriously what is the point of this thread? I can handle Port Power it doesn't stop me going to games, when I lived in Adelaide I couldn't bf wasting so much time being sober and driving to and from AAMI Stadium, the moniker of the team meant SFA to my attendance.

As an aside I can recognise that we joined the AFL in 1996/7 but the club that I (we?) support goes way beyond this date. And the history of our club is the reason we are in the AFL and this is what differentiates from the expansion clubs.

21knights

Team Captain
Apr 10, 2007
Maroochydore
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree, other people need to conjure up whatever they can for an excuse. They are just in denial. All they have done is created the identity crisis that they were worried about before it existed.

Apr 23, 2007
around about
AFL Club
Sydney
As an aside I can recognise that we joined the AFL in 1996/7 but the club that I (we?) support goes way beyond this date. And the history of our club is the reason we are in the AFL and this is what differentiates from the expansion clubs.

This

If Port Adelaide Magpies did not have the history or the Strength in the SANFL that was recognised across the country they never would have got a license to play in the AFL anyway. An expansion team that covered a handful of Adelaide suburbs only got represented because of the strength of it's history.

To the Port supporters, recognise your history and embrace it, it's how it got you here in the first place.

Gainzo

Team Captain
Aug 7, 2003
Nashua, New Hampshire
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bruins, Celtics, Hibs
I am writing this on the AFL board because 98% of Port Adelaide supporters on here actually believe that the reason why we are badly supported on and off the field is because of an "identity issue".

I have come to realize that I was a child that grew up supporting Port Adelaide in the AFL, a team that was happy being called "Port Power". A team that was alright on the field and played an exciting brand of football. A team that eventually became successful and won a premiership in 2004.

Then when we stopped winning we needed to find a reason for the fans going away, and the best reason we came with was our image and identity was tarnished. Now we are "Port Adelaide Football Club, Formerly the Magpies, now the Power and Established in 1870". However in this attempt to change the direction on and off the field in the past 2 season, attendances, revenue and membership numbers have never been worse.

I would like to thank our fans for pushing this identity change and alienating other fans who are not obsessed with our SANFL history. We will never be the magpies again, We are PORT POWER so stop trying to change things because you are essentially doing more harm than good.

P.S. I do realize I am Alberton_Magpie, I used to follow the SANFL Magpies until this whole identity issue surfaced.

I believe that Port Adelaide should bite the bullet stop being so SANFL orientated (The past is not the answer for the future) and make the following changes. Recognize that we as an AFL Club were established in 1996, and also recognize as an AFL Club that only AFL premierships are relevant.

PortPowerLogo.jpg

PPFCHome.jpg

PPFCAway.jpg

Good for you mate. :thumbsu: Half of your supporters are still talking about the 500 premierships Port won.

This

If Port Adelaide Magpies did not have the history or the Strength in the SANFL that was recognised across the country they never would have got a license to play in the AFL anyway. An expansion team that covered a handful of Adelaide suburbs only got represented because of the strength of it's history.

To the Port supporters, recognise your history and embrace it, it's how it got you here in the first place.

and this /\ - well said! :thumbsu:

... and for Alberton Magpie - if the Port, as an AFL club was established in 1996 from where did it originate?

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah tbh I miss the original guernseys, they were very distinct I think the problem was they changed the colour of the teal slightly at some point, maybe that was just what it looked like on tv but a teal closer to blue than green suits.

WAG

The People's Captain
Mar 3, 2010
In the trenches.
AFL Club
Adelaide
You could call yourselves Port Adelaide Magpies Power EST 10AD and it still wouldn't make a lick of difference. The history the club is so proud of alienates 70% of the football population through years of SANFL arrogance and dominance.

Now you have 30% market share! It's been that way for 15 years, and will be that way for the next 15.

crowralph

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2010
alice springs
AFL Club
Adelaide
i agree with the intent of the op. but i see it that the pafc est 1870 was granted an afl licence and began playing in that league. the port adelaide magpies footy club was established because the sanfl didn't want to lose the maggies out of the local league. the fact that it's even an issue or a topic of conversation is the sad fact.

i mean, who really gives a s**t. and this is where the op is spot on. the only people who care are insecure power supporters, who can't handle their recent on-field performance/poor crowds and need to use 100 year old irrelevant sanfl success to inflate their fragile ego's.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
This reverse troll is catching people like flies to manure. At least it had better be a reverse troll...

i agree with the intent of the op. but i see it that the pafc est 1870 was granted an afl licence and began playing in that league. the port adelaide magpies footy club was established because the sanfl didn't want to lose the maggies out of the local league. the fact that it's even an issue or a topic of conversation is the sad fact.

i mean, who really gives a s**t. and this is where the op is spot on. the only people who care are insecure power supporters, who can't handle their recent on-field performance/poor crowds and need to use 100 year old irrelevant sanfl success to inflate their fragile ego's.

good post - at least you had a relevant comment unlike the troll of 'wishinaintgettin' who thought he was on BAY13

Must admit, I actually didn't read your post, but maybe if more people went to your games you'd have more $$$$.......get on board Port supporters! Altho, AAMI stadium is a craphole in the middle of nowhere so I understand why Port people don't go...isn't it a fair way from Port Adelaide as well?? Must admit, maximun respect to you for allowing beers at your games tho when the blue rinse crows refuse to allow it.

Also aren't you moving to Adelaide oval soon, that will have to help.

Never fear, I'll be over there to boost the gate takings to see us give you a football lesson in round 9.

the crows virtually sell out every game and made a loss last year...... our gate takings isnt the issue as much as the ass raping the SANFL give us every year in fees for the worst stadium deal in the afl

the crows virtually sell out every game and made a loss last year...... our gate takings isnt the issue as much as the ass raping the SANFL give us every year in fees for the worst stadium deal in the afl

yep, Haysman said "we make a prOfit each year-just not for the PAFC' :thumbsdown:

wapower

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2008
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Alberton_Magpie doesn't represent the general Port Adelaide football community's feeling. Feel free to disregard this thread as just an opinion piece and refer to the Port Adelaide board if you're after a well rounded and better representation.

Feb 24, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Giants, Adelaide Strikers
Alberton_Magpie doesn't represent the general Port Adelaide football community's feeling. Feel free to disregard this thread as just an opinion piece and refer to the Port Adelaide board if you're after a well rounded and better representation.

Useless post, I clearly stated in my opening line that I was in the minority.

wapower

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2008
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I agree that your entire post was useless ramblings of a poster with zero credibility on the Port Adelaide board.

And for the record, I think you should re-read your initial post about making commentary towards being in the minority (because you didn't).

It's people like you who contribute to the identity issue. It's the Port Adelaide Football Club and that's that.

You a little bit confused champ?

i'm Alberton/Magpie that used to barrack for Port in the SANFL but now barracks for Woodville/West Torrens who actually barracks for Port Adelaide in the AFL but doesn't believe they came from the SANFL???

It looks more like a Camry troll from Bay 13 has hacked your account....

Brilliant

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
The SANFL trying to have their cake and eat it ****ed Port over a little bit.

They take alot of Port and the Crows money as it is, why do they need a Magpies presence in their local league when Port are providing revenue through their AFL participation? Should have let Port go and not replaced them with Port.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
To the OP,

If you want to pick a fight, I suggest you go to Bay 13.

If you want a spirited debate on the issue, I suggest you go to the Port Adelaide board.

Neutral supporters don't care.

The SANFL trying to have their cake and eat it ****ed Port over a little bit.

They take alot of Port and the Crows money as it is, why do they need a Magpies presence in their local league when Port are providing revenue through their AFL participation? Should have let Port go and not replaced them with Port.

Thank you.

To the OP,

If you want to pick a fight, I suggest you go to Bay 13.

If you want a spirited debate on the issue, I suggest you go to the Port Adelaide board.

Neutral supporters don't care.

And, thank you.

Back