Autopsy I swear there was a patch of footy where we hit like 8 short kicks in a row in the third quarter - Autopsy vs Port Adelaide

dimo

Senior List
Jun 28, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The fact that absolutely nobody on this board can take away one good thing from each game is baffling to me. Like what are you guys doing, expecting wins? Expecting four quarter efforts? The side is cooked, injured, inexperienced and unbalanced. We’re s**t for a good reason. We haven’t fielded our best 22 once this year.
Are you serious?

The team and coach are nowhere!
If you think a thumping every week is positive signs, you clearly need to invest in a melways!

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's hard.

It's always going to be a huge ask to have more consistency from a group that seems just devoid of leadership, standards and mature-age talent that can steady the ship or put things back on our terms to wrestle the match.

Remember when at the end of the 2013 season after we beat Collingwood, we were pushing towards recruiting quality outside mids/class players with good ball use? We had the balance in terms of contested ball mids, backline KPDs and forwards, just needed those outside types to release the pressure on our inside mids to take on more of the spread from the contest.

Well, we've got those types ready to go in Stepho, TT and co. We have that sorted. That was the difference for us to make the big dance and win it.

For the rest of the group, the list management has a lot of work to do in terms of finding mature-age talent fast to fill in the holes in our backline and forward line. I think questions should probably be asked of Luff (I'm not convinced on him just yet) but if they can get those types in to help us, we will notice a drastic jump in performances. Now, where we get them from? NFI.

Need a FF that stays ahead of the ball to make it easier for us to get the ball into our F50 without having to wait for the numbers. Someone that sits just ahead of the centre square, runs back inside 50 to provide an option but then switches direction towards the ball carrier for a uncontested-easy mark.

Need a KPD to chop out McKay as there's just no way Corr (as much as it might be too early to tell) can do it with him.

Need some HBFers that use the ball really well and have pace. Might be tough to get one from other clubs but I would be perfectly happy to draft them instead.

We've seriously gutted a lot of the list that has meant we've been forced into playing some guys that aren't AFL standard and are out of form. Why we did this to ourselves idk...

With players still yet to return, it will be another one of those 2nd half resurrection finish to the season and am fully expecting our drafting (we may need to trade picks) to be aggressive on fixing the F50 and D50. If we don't do that, we're not serious. Sack the lot.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No idea where the right thread for it is so I'll just post here.

We have Silver playing fairly ineffectual football on a wing when his best position is in the defensive 50.
We have Atu being very ineffectual in the back half when his best position is ???
We had Kyron back in and playing in the D50 when our midfield was utterly decimated, including the loss of our patent big bodied mid in greenwood.
We had Stephenson attending large numbers of centre bounces when he plays better on a wing.
We had Powell getting * all centre bounces and spending 1/3rd of the game warming the interchange bench.

Versatility is very valuable but these blokes are gaining * all real experience in these roles when there are a half dozen (very) weak links in the team and we're being smashed both structurally and on the scoreboard. Noble started moving JZ around a few weeks ago and he finally moved Young back to defence where he looks a real player. Good on Noble, especially for the latter, but I don't understand the rest of what he's doing. At least LDU finally got a very large proportion of CBAs this week but I fear that was simply because Noble's hands were tied and that it will be back to spending half the game rotting on a flank next week.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No idea where the right thread for it is so I'll just post here.

We have Silver playing fairly ineffectual football on a wing when his best position is in the defensive 50.
We have Atu being very ineffectual in the back half when his best position is ???
We had Kyron back in and playing in the D50 when our midfield was utterly decimated, including the loss of our patent big bodied mid in greenwood.
We had Stephenson attending large numbers of centre bounces when he plays better on a wing.
We had Powell getting fu** all centre bounces and spending 1/3rd of the game warming the interchange bench.

Versatility is very valuable but these blokes are gaining fu** all real experience in these roles when there are a half dozen (very) weak links in the team and we're being smashed both structurally and on the scoreboard. Noble started moving JZ around a few weeks ago and he finally moved Young back to defence where he looks a real player. Good on Noble, especially for the latter, but I don't understand the rest of what he's doing. At least LDU finally got a very large proportion of CBAs this week but I fear that was simply because Noble's hands were tied and that it will be back to spending half the game rotting on a flank next week.
Versatility is nice, but getting experience in just one role is what we should be doing. I feel like versatility is something you add to the game of experienced players not ones trying to learn their initial craft at AFL level.

I don't know about confusing game plans, but adding versatility to players just trying to establish their first role seems confusing enough.

Screenshot_20220516-145934_Samsung Internet.jpg

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Versatility is nice, but getting experience in just one role is what we should be doing. I feel like versatility is something you add to the game of experienced players not ones trying to learn their initial craft at AFL level.

I don't know about confusing game plans, but adding versatility to players just trying to establish their first role seems confusing enough.
agree, versatility is the luxury you seek after you have have competentcy in your core role, its like we are sending apprentices off to do a 2nd trade when they havnt even completed the first.

Back