Unofficial Preview I think the Crows can still make the 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

lol thank god we have seen the back of those two. :p Riccuito one of my favourite non-North players but he used to tear us a new one every single time.
Bit like Harvey did to us in his prime...

PS. the player not the umpire.

Assuming we win today and beat St Kilda at home next week (if we can't beat the Saints, a bottom 6 team, at home then we should be no where near the finals), we'll be 4-4 with the most testing month to come.

North Melbourne @ Docklands
Fremantle @ Home
Sydney @ Home
Richmond @ MCG

The games against North and Richmond are genuine 8 point matches as those two could very well be fighting it out for the last couple of spots in the 8 along with us if we can get some form whereas he home games against Freo and Sydney are against genuine top 4 contenders. If we can two of those games then we're capable of challenging, win 3 and we are definitely finals quality and if we somehow win all 4 then we're back! However, if we win less than 2 then put a line through us. Seeing as Freo and Sydney will be there in September, the North and Richmond games are genuine 8 point matches as we could be fighting for the last couple of spots in the 8 with them and could be the difference whether we make it or not.

Having said all that, lose to the Saints next week (or today but I can't see us losing to GWS) then put a line through us.

Sainters win tonight (looking pretty likely) and we'll be 7th next week with the pies going down to Geelong :thumbsu:

I don't have your confidence. I think were just about on even form with them. Our best is better but we haven't seen our best yet. Will be a good test.

I'm much happier with where we are at over the last 3 weeks. We only just lost to the hawks. We've weeded out the underperformers and replaced them with kids who have stood up, just gotta move on porps now. One by one some of the boys who have been struggling have been finding a bit of form finally, just waiting on sauce. If we can just come out with intensity to sort out the 1st quarter leads we're giving up then we can stick with anyone below Geelong. Saints at footy park should be a regulation win, not sure why Carlton have been so bad tonight, unlucky with injuries

I'm much happier with where we are at over the last 3 weeks. We only just lost to the hawks. We've weeded out the underperformers and replaced them with kids who have stood up, just gotta move on porps now. One by one some of the boys who have been struggling have been finding a bit of form finally, just waiting on sauce. If we can just come out with intensity to sort out the 1st quarter leads we're giving up then we can stick with anyone below Geelong. Saints at footy park should be a regulation win, not sure why Carlton have been so bad tonight, unlucky with injuries
After watching a bit more we should have the midfield ascendency as long as Sauce performs well.

We will get a far greater understanding of finals in 5 weeks time.

We have to win 3 of those 5 and go into the mid season break at 6 and 6.

We have St kilda, north melb, freo, Sydney and Richmond over the next 5 weeks.

We will get a far greater understanding of finals in 5 weeks time.

We have to win 3 of those 5 and go into the mid season break at 6 and 6.

We have St kilda, north melb, freo, Sydney and Richmond over the next 5 weeks.
Wow, some tricky fixtures there. Agree next 5 weeks will tell the story of the season

Wow, some tricky fixtures there. Agree next 5 weeks will tell the story of the season

It's make or break because we will still have to play Collingwood, Geelong, West Coast & Freo and west coast away. None of those are going to be easy.

If we can find a way of going into the break 7 and 5 and then turn that into 8 and 5 with Gold Coast straight after - our confidence will be sky high as we have a sold run if games after that.

I reckon we have been getting better each week and have no doubt our best is yet to come. Didn't expect the Blues to lose tonight but they would have been unsettled by early injuries and never really recovered.

Need to destroy the Saints, then the next five are crucial - North, Freo, Sydney, Richmond then Gold Coast. If we are fair dinkum then from next 6 games we need to win 4 or 5 to set up our year. The six games against West Coast, Freo and Roos will be crucial - a 4-2 win-loss split will, I repeat will, see us make the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we have been getting better each week and have no doubt our best is yet to come. Didn't expect the Blues to lose tonight but they would have been unsettled by early injuries and never really recovered.

Need to destroy the Saints, then the next five are crucial - North, Freo, Sydney, Richmond then Gold Coast. If we are fair dinkum then from next 6 games we need to win 4 or 5 to set up our year. The six games against West Coast, Freo and Roos will be crucial - a 4-2 win-loss split will, I repeat will, see us make the finals.
I'm extremely worried about the North game, huge bogey side for us in Melbourne. Can definitely beat the other 4 though, and will beat the Saints next week. Sydney will be the toughest game by far though, genuine 50/50 matchup.

Carlton lost Carrazzo before the match, copped two injuries in the first qtr, not to mention Jameson copped a heavy knock and was forced to play on nursing a shoulder because Carlton were already down on troops

I don't have your confidence. I think were just about on even form with them. Our best is better but we haven't seen our best yet. Will be a good test.
I don't think you've seen much of the Saints this year. They absolutely butcher the ball going forward, Carlton were just equally as bad tonight and paid the price (also copped a shitload of injuries). Basically, don't let Mcevoy keep dropping in the hole down in defense, force Riewoldt on the wing to win possessions for the majority of game, and keep Steven quiet in the middle. I think we'll win comfortably, they are a very average side atm.

We are above Carlton now, that pleases me immensely. Won't be long until we overtake Port as well. May even overtake Collingwood next week as well!

Port are clearly the imposter in the top 8. They will drop out and open up a spot. The other 7 won't budge easily

I don't think you've seen much of the Saints this year. They absolutely butcher the ball going forward, Carlton were just equally as bad tonight and paid the price (also copped a shitload of injuries). Basically, don't let Mcevoy keep dropping in the hole down in defense, force Riewoldt on the wing to win possessions for the majority of game, and keep Steven quiet in the middle. I think we'll win comfortably, they are a very average side atm.
I think you're right. I changed my tune the longer the game went on. Their midfield is thin. McEvoy is good though but their defense looks susceptible to good talls. Jenkins could have a good game.

I'm extremely worried about the North game, huge bogey side for us in Melbourne. Can definitely beat the other 4 though, and will beat the Saints next week. Sydney will be the toughest game by far though, genuine 50/50 matchup.

Yes, I can agree that the North game poses a huge challenge but am utterly convinced the boys are up to it.

I reckon the Hawks game have given boys confidence they can match it with anyone and our defence has improved from earlier in the year. Perhaps I am over confident of our abilities but with our midfield we will get enough forward entries to post a big enough score to win the majority of games.

Considering what the Hawks did to Sydney and the improved effort against the traffic cones...imo we are getting back to some more even contributions. There is still plenty of upside left and Danger looks to have shaken off his early season slump. JJ starts actually taking those marks on the lead look out. His last mark and goal showed great balance and poise for a big man.

Port are clearly the imposter in the top 8. They will drop out and open up a spot. The other 7 won't budge easily

Correct.

You would think that Collingwood will take up Ports spot towards the top of the ladder.

Leaving the top 6 pretty much locked in:

Cats
Hawks
Essendon
Sydney
Collingwood
Freo

Then it gets really interesting.

Its pretty much a competition between Port/Richmond/Adelaide/West Coast/North/Carlton for the final two spots.

If I was a betting man I would put money on North and West Coast to fill those 2 spots.

Carlton lost Carrazzo before the match, copped two injuries in the first qtr, not to mention Jameson copped a heavy knock and was forced to play on nursing a shoulder because Carlton were already down on troops
No Gibbs, no Waite, Murphy playing sore.

Things went for the Saints no doubt but they have been pretty solid lately and will get Hayes back for us (I think).

After watching a bit more we should have the midfield ascendency as long as Sauce performs well.
McEvoy in good form. I actually reckon the Saints have the perfect ruck set up / succession plan. McEvoy who is in his prime and one of the better ruckmen in the competition, with Hickey as his understudy who is a young, talented and tall ruckman who will be an A Grader. Perfect. Cost them a bit but they won't have to worry about a ruckman for 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back