Discussion I want to start a a campaign to (M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantasyland stuff. You can’t just add on $20 to every member. And if you can why haven’t they done it. People talk as if they are smarter than people who do this stuff for a living. The club would have thought of all things to make the debt smaller. Staggering is thinking it’s that simple otherwise we wouldn’t be in debt. And you do understand the interest for 5 years would be around 3 million

I don't know why they haven't to be honest.

Question , Does the club have an email address for all our members ? If not all would it be say 80-90 % ?
If so , why cant the club send out and email asking how they would feel about paying and extra $20 or $50 per year to help reduce debt and keep us in melb .
I think some would want something for their extra contribution , maybe a small badge with some catchy slogan to show they are helping the club , Just an idea

He isn’t worth 7 billion. And if it wasn’t big then why do we still have a debt so yes it’s big enough for him not to bale us out. Why didn’t Lindsay bale us out. Even allowing for inflation the debt was no where near as big then. What did he do. The club paid both 7 and 22 cents in the dollar to those owed money. It wasn’t a great look. Trevor barker even donated a car he won
story i heard and this is going through third hand accounts so take it with a grain of salt ... that Fox was willing to bail the club out and was ready to put his money in to save us but there were conditions to that money going to the club ... conditions around the managment of the club and that govenence of the club was to be ran through him and his people ... apparently that option was the last resort for the club if it came down to not existing or hetting fox's help they would use the Fox life line thankfully the club found their own way and didnt need to sign over the club to Fox to stay alive

I don't think now people are going to chip in 20 bucks extra. Everyones wallet is welded shut now.

Not everyone, but some might be able to put in more some nothing.

Are talking about bricks? You have to store them advertise them. It costs money. I won’t insult you about being narrow minded in the cost. We are a footy business. We can’t even do that well enough. You know what’s really weird. You call me narrow minded like it’s my fault we didn’t do as suggested. All I’m doing as giving an opinion of why the club who decide these sorts of things didn’t do or maybe think of it. My guess is it probably wasn’t worth the trouble for the end result. The problem is it’s nearly impossible to chip away at up to 20 million.
ummm no ... narrow minded is the veiw because something isnt as easy as getting a cheque in the hand is all too hard .. thats not a dig at you thats a dig at our club ...
yes in order to make money there will be extra work involved yes it will take set up costs but again because its a little hard doesnt make it not worth persuing .... the pavers idea was perfect for when we were building Moorabbin you talk about storage being a problem the whole friggin site was a storage of building supplies ... you talk about advertising the club have 163,670 followers on facebook a face book advert (something i have purchased for my own organisation) cost stuff all .. i have had this argument with the club for years that just because something is outsside the "normal way we do things" doesnt mean its not going to work ...
i know for one the paver idea would grab me 1000% more to donate even $1000.00 over buying those stupid raffle tickets they try to sell me every year , you cant tell me that doesnt have a high cost involvved heck i get two phone calls at a minimum from a call centre to sell them to me how much does that cost ?

sometime i think this club is stuck in a time warp thinking fundraiser items from the 1970' is the only way to opperated ...

Fantasyland stuff. You can’t just add on $20 to every member. And if you can why haven’t they done it. People talk as if they are smarter than people who do this stuff for a living. The club would have thought of all things to make the debt smaller. Staggering is thinking it’s that simple otherwise we wouldn’t be in debt. And you do understand the interest for 5 years would be around 3 million
not smarter but have a differant outlook on how things can be done ...
we have done things a certain way for generations and while yeah its been successful keeping us going we are still treading water as we have always have... i dont think anyone is saying that a $20 donation button when you renew you membership is going to save the club but hell it isnt going to hurt to try is it ?

if anything its often the club thinking they are smarter than everyone else that has them slam the doors on ideas that could be fantastic...
i can tell you i have in my all be it majorly smaller organisation been able to achieve projects that the club have in the past said were "never going to work" and "not worth the effort " and had them become huge successes ... now im not tooting my horn saying im better than the club but in my leadership of my organisation i am open and receptive to all ideas that can make my organisation better i dont dismiss anything as a bad idea until i have at least given it the respect of looking into its viability . i get the distinct feeling that this club (although they are geting better at it ) are always just waiting for someone to come save the day .. its been 140+ years guys time to realise that the person to "save" the day might actually be the people who bleed tthe red white and black ...

Thats great that your willing to do that but you dont seriously think everybody can do the same
possibly not today or tomorrow ... but looking long term ... eliminating the debt is not a quick fix its a long term slog and we would be needing the donations (how ever big or small people can afford) well past the issues of COVID have gone away...

at this exact moment people are doing it tough .. this time next year they will hopefully be in a much better place and the year after and the year after ... so on and so on

Question , Does the club have an email address for all our members ? If not all would it be say 80-90 % ?
If so , why cant the club send out and email asking how they would feel about paying and extra $20 or $50 per year to help reduce debt and keep us in melb .
I think some would want something for their extra contribution , maybe a small badge with some catchy slogan to show they are helping the club , Just an idea
i dont think the club even want to for i millisecond want to mention any iota of the feeling we might not be in melbourne ... the club itself wont acknowledge anything to say they are struggling we will get the info that we are in a strong position and things are going to be tight but we are fine ...
what the club need to do is market it not as a SAVE US but as a MAKE US STRONGER approach ... i have no idea why the club has never put a final question on their membership sign up for a donation to the club .. chuck an optional additional purchase on the membership for members to donate $5, $10, $20, $50, $100 and lets see what they get ... costs nothing to try

ummm no ... narrow minded is the veiw because something isnt as easy as getting a cheque in the hand is all too hard .. thats not a dig at you thats a dig at our club ...
yes in order to make money there will be extra work involved yes it will take set up costs but again because its a little hard doesnt make it not worth persuing .... the pavers idea was perfect for when we were building Moorabbin you talk about storage being a problem the whole friggin site was a storage of building supplies ... you talk about advertising the club have 163,670 followers on facebook a face book advert (something i have purchased for my own organisation) cost stuff all .. i have had this argument with the club for years that just because something is outsside the "normal way we do things" doesnt mean its not going to work ...
i know for one the paver idea would grab me 1000% more to donate even $1000.00 over buying those stupid raffle tickets they try to sell me every year , you cant tell me that doesnt have a high cost involvved heck i get two phone calls at a minimum from a call centre to sell them to me how much does that cost ?

sometime i think this club is stuck in a time warp thinking fundraiser items from the 1970' is the only way to opperated ...
No problem with the paver idea and that’s why I didn’t comment on that. Would have thought it was a great idea. I just the brick thing would cost far to much for little gain. What I will say though is surely the club have thought of everything thing we can think of and for reasons we don’t know haven’t bothered. Unfortunately they will have even less staff to worry about these things in the immediate future

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i dont think the club even want to for i millisecond want to mention any iota of the feeling we might not be in melbourne ... the club itself wont acknowledge anything to say they are struggling we will get the info that we are in a strong position and things are going to be tight but we are fine ...
what the club need to do is market it not as a SAVE US but as a MAKE US STRONGER approach ... i have no idea why the club has never put a final question on their membership sign up for a donation to the club .. chuck an optional additional purchase on the membership for members to donate $5, $10, $20, $50, $100 and lets see what they get ... costs nothing to try

Even clubs like Essendon do it. They actually pissed off members because they put it on without asking and you had to opt out of it.

No problem with the paver idea and that’s why I didn’t comment on that. Would have thought it was a great idea. I just the brick thing would cost far to much for little gain. What I will say though is surely the club have thought of everything thing we can think of and for reasons we don’t know haven’t bothered. Unfortunately they will have even less staff to worry about these things in the immediate future
you would think that but i know for a fact the paver idea was investigated when we moved to Seaford and for whatever reason never got lift off.... now from my dealings with the club over these years my main concern is that the club looked and said "ahh it wasnt viable for Seaford so not point looking into it again" ... thats my main grip with the club ... they may have looked at something years ago and if it didnt work then thats that idea burnt forever....
the world changes and situations change so something that didnt work in the past may work now , just like something that did work in the past now days not being very successful today ...

we missed a HUGE opportunity to majorly market on the nostalgia of the return to Moorabbin ... unlike anything the pull and love of that place to our supporters is almost cult like ... people treat it like thier Vatican city... i think we as a club underestimated how we could have turned this into something to make even more money off of.. and talking to their members they would have seen this .. but they didnt

you would think that but i know for a fact the paver idea was investigated when we moved to Seaford and for whatever reason never got lift off.... now from my dealings with the club over these years my main concern is that the club looked and said "ahh it wasnt viable for Seaford so not point looking into it again" ... thats my main grip with the club ... they may have looked at something years ago and if it didnt work then thats that idea burnt forever....
the world changes and situations change so something that didnt work in the past may work now , just like something that did work in the past now days not being very successful today ...

we missed a HUGE opportunity to majorly market on the nostalgia of the return to Moorabbin ... unlike anything the pull and love of that place to our supporters is almost cult like ... people treat it like thier Vatican city... i think we as a club underestimated how we could have turned this into something to make even more money off of.. and talking to their members they would have seen this .. but they didnt

To be honest, I think they got it funded by council, government and the AFL and got lazy. They didn't anticipate the chaos of Covid19.

To be honest, I think they got it funded by council, government and the AFL and got lazy. They didn't anticipate the chaos of Covid19.
i hate to bag the club out but i honestly do think the "they got lazy" tag line gets pushed onto the club far too often for there not to be a hell of a lot of truth to it ...

i hate to bag the club out but i honestly do think the "they got lazy" tag line gets pushed onto the club far too often for there not to be a hell of a lot of truth to it ...

Very confident in Board myself .

Think the arrival of Bassat , Lethlean , Chizik combined with continually getting support from Ryan we are
in good hands...

Very confident in Board myself .

Think the arrival of Bassat , Lethlean , Chizik combined with continually getting support from Ryan we are
in good hands...
yeah again i dont like to bag the club but i think the top end we are well placed the senior managment are doing great ... the gurnt workers for the club they do a fantastic job the work and effot these guys put in is awesome .. middle managment - ummm yeah i think there is some improvment to be made ... dont get me wrong they are doing ok but maybe they do take the "easy" way a little too often

Your opinion mate , prior to Virus was down at club couple of days a week , joint was humming local
business meetings , Sandringham Dragons connection really strong , lots of bayside opportunities were
being developed.

Your opinion mate , prior to Virus was down at club couple of days a week , joint was humming local
business meetings , Sandringham Dragons connection really strong , lots of bayside opportunities were
being developed.

That’s he most frustrating thing for me. We really seemed to have some momentum going leading into the season and this has killed it. Hopefully when things are up and running they’ll be able to pick up quickly.

go look at Richmond for how to save the club, probably the best debt recovery scheme run in the AFL the tigers raised they're targetted $6m in just over 2 years. They didn't do with extraordinary donations but by lots and lots of small bits, It's still running to date

I've raised it with the club in the past, along with opting out of merchandise incl. with memberships as a means of donation, even the ability to add a small amount towards debt demolition during membership signup.
Not sure what the club's response was but they may feel that asking for donations is just a step too far.

I'd happily kick in a few bucks each year to clear the debt but the club still has to get its act together, still has to operate in a capacity that will not see the debt return, and more importantly use the improved financial position to run a more competent organization from top to bottom.

To me, the Richmond example is the model for successful debt reduction.

It needs to be seperate from onfield performance. A voluntary fund established for the specific purpose of reducing our debt. As the debt shrinks it will create its own momentum. Supporters love the club and will contribute how and when they can. We have not played finals for a million years yet we were on track for 50,000 members this year. The support is there we just need the structure in place so that people know that this $10 is going to reduce our debt. Nothing else.

It needs to come from the club and I think we have good people in charge who have all the figures in front of them and will be already thinking about what needs to be done to make St Kilda sustainable. I hope they are thinking about what Richmond did six or seven years before they won that premiership.

I bought a woman’s membership on a whim, because the option was presented to me when I signed up. Usually it automatically rolls over, so I never see that page and I presume that might be the case for the majority.
I do like that idea, of having the option to make a donation to the club that is 100% going to pay off the debt we owe to the bank.
Maybe the club or whoever could organize for a game where you could nominate an amount of money you’d be willing to donate, say $2 per goal kicked or $50 for knocking out a pies player. Kinda like the children’s fundraiser where you pay for every book they read.

It needs to be seperate from onfield performance. A voluntary fund established for the specific purpose of reducing our debt. As the debt shrinks it will create its own momentum. Supporters love the club and will contribute how and when they can. We have not played finals for a million years yet we were on track for 50,000 members this year. The support is there we just need the structure in place so that people know that this $10 is going to reduce our debt. Nothing else.

It needs to come from the club and I think we have good people in charge who have all the figures in front of them and will be already thinking about what needs to be done to make St Kilda sustainable. I hope they are thinking about what Richmond did six or seven years before they won that premiership.
Agree 100%

There are a few differences between the Tigers and us , they never lost their home and once it was re developed and they had their own stand alone club well they would even pack it out for a VFL game , of course they had a good plan to get out of debit but their proximity to the G ect makes them a very attractive proposition for supporters and corporates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back