I wonder why some games are called from the studio rather than at the ground?

Remove this Banner Ad

daniel anderson

Senior List
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Why is it that MMM and AFL Nation call some matches from the studio instead of the ground, but ABC always does it from the ground?

Why is it that MMM and AFL Nation call some matches from the studio instead of the ground, but ABC always does it from the ground?
ABC use mostly local crews to do the calls. Don't forget, there's always a few off air team members as well putting everything to air.

Aussie rules would surely be quite difficult to call from a TV for radio broadcast. So much goes on behind and ahead of the play.

ABC has a bit of an advantage- they can use local commentators for
Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane matches; Alister Nicholson, Matt Clinch, Kelli Underwood and Joel Peterson call Melbourne and (I think)
Sydney games. Occasionally someone like David Lithgow or Dury Forbes does a match at Hobart or Canberra. Charlie King has called a few matches in Darwin.

For example, Clint Wheeldon and Brett Sprigg cover WA matches, Quentin Hull covers Lions/Suns matches, Anthony Tucker covers Crows/Power matches,etc.

Reminds me of hearing about Alan McGilvray calling ashes tests played in England from the abc studios in Sydney. Back in early 30's i think. He would receive cables describing play ball by ball and would commentate from those cables. He used a pencil hitting the desk as sound effect of ball hitting bat and the abc had recordings of polite applause from the crowd.

My we have come a long way in 80 years......or maybe not.

Bump.

One of the ABC radio team - it sounded like Quentin Hull - mentioned during the Q-Clash they had to hurry after the game to call another game that night. I'm not sure if it was a NEAFL game or if perhaps he was calling a AFL game from studio that night?

Bump.

One of the ABC radio team - it sounded like Quentin Hull - mentioned during the Q-Clash they had to hurry after the game to call another game that night. I'm not sure if it was a NEAFL game or if perhaps he was calling a AFL game from studio that night?
Does he commentate NRL? Brisbane had a game on Saturday night, may have been that

Edit: based on this tweet seems as if he did go off to commentate an NRL game

Is this for real? Find it staggering they don’t actually go to games! Surely part of the broadcasting rights is you cover the game properly, which can only be done by being at the bloody ground! What a joke

All commercial stations (radio and TV) do this to some extent with all their covered sport.

It’s a consequence of the broadcast rights for many events (Olympic Games and AFL in particular) costing too much - they’ve all started to skimp on production. And the staff members from the game production team who least need to be at a venue are the callers (can’t leave camera crews or directors at home).

This will happen more and more with AFL footy, maybe even with TV games. You can also expect to see fewer camera angles in future - Seven have had to cut back by about 25% the number of cameras they use to film games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many announcers all over the world call plays off a screen rather than just watch live game and/or they are in a nearly soundproof box. Not much different from being in a studio. It really all comes down to the actual caller in the end. A good professional can make you feel like you are there and understanding the play without insulting your intelligence.

Many announcers all over the world call plays off a screen rather than just watch live game and/or they are in a nearly soundproof box. Not much different from being in a studio. It really all comes down to the actual caller in the end. A good professional can make you feel like you are there and understanding the play without insulting your intelligence.

Think you can always tell the audience more by being there. Certainly you see a lot more than you do on telly, movement behind and ahead of the ball. That’s the point of the analyst to tell you some these things. Pathetic that they’re not there. You get the rights, you do it properly.

Never seen this happen in US major sports.

Actually IIRC from some years ago, more than a few NFL callers are at the game but do the play by play off of monitors. But definitely if they can feel a good crowd, they should be able to do a better call.

I dont like it, I get that it has to be done for some events but I don't think it is necessary for AFL.

AFL nation do a fair bit and Triple M appear to be doing it more and more. I did hear Triple M do it at the request of the callers as much as saving on money. I guess some of their callers do TV as well so they can save on travel time. Fox have done it at times.

I dont think the ABC, 3AW or Channel 7 do.

Most of the BBL games done by Croc media over summer were done from the studio.

I dont like it, I get that it has to be done for some events but I don't think it is necessary for AFL.

AFL nation do a fair bit and Triple M appear to be doing it more and more. I did hear Triple M do it at the request of the callers as much as saving on money. I guess some of their callers do TV as well so they can save on travel time. Fox have done it at times.

I dont think the ABC, 3AW or Channel 7 do.

Most of the BBL games done by Croc media over summer were done from the studio.
Get new callers then.

It is not like many of them are much good anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back