Recommitted Ian 'Bobby' Hill + R3 (40) to Collingwood for R3 (43) + F2

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously wasn’t reasonable if the Giants said no.
Started off so well and was on track for a good post until “fairly reasonable offer” ruined it all.

They were then well within their rights to and agreed the Giants didn't see it as reasonable that's all that matters. I was trying to use it as evidence that the Giants rate Hill highly not trying to comment on whether or not the deal should have been done.

Obviously wasn’t reasonable if the Giants said no.

A reasonable offer can be made and not accepted. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Every trade period plenty of reasonable offers get knocked back and likewise many offers that seem like massive unders get accepted, it all depends on circumstances.
Clubs aren't going to jump at every half decent offer, they have their overall list build to consider.

A reasonable offer can be made and not accepted. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Every trade period plenty of reasonable offers get knocked back and likewise many offers that seem like massive unders get accepted, it all depends on circumstances.
Clubs aren't going to jump at every half decent offer, they have their overall list build to consider.
Very true. Wasn’t a reasonable offer though.

Think it was totally fair for the Giants to ask for more as he was contracted and they clearly rate him highly but I don’t really see how there’s much evidence to suggest Hill was worth more then a future 2nd rounder

Ed Langdon went for a future 2nd and a small pick upgrade after finishing top 5 in Freos Best and Fairest

Think it was totally fair for the Giants to ask for more as he was contracted and they clearly rate him highly but I don’t really see how there’s much evidence to suggest Hill was worth more then a future 2nd rounder

Ed Langdon went for a future 2nd and a small pick upgrade after finishing top 5 in Freos Best and Fairest
Starting best 22.
Contracted.
We aren’t Freo.
Bombers demand the most and offer the least and then say it’s “reasonable” laughable really.
You think it’s reasonable, fine.
Plenty of others think otherwise.

Starting best 22.
Contracted.
We aren’t Freo.
Bombers demand the most and offer the least and then say it’s “reasonable” laughable really.
You think it’s reasonable, fine.
Plenty of others think otherwise.

Hmm I think it was more that GWS were only willing to let Hill go for an excellent deal in their favour as is their right with contracted players (same thing happened with Shiel) then Essendon offering unders.

But anyway to reiterate it’s clear that GWS really rate Hill highly so I imagine they won’t be easily outbid contract wise so if Hill chooses to move it’ll be a location thing not money unless he breaks out something huge this year.

It was a reasonable offer. You can receive a reasonable offer and still prefer to retain the player. What you needed to let him go was an unreasonable offer that favored you.

It was a reasonable offer. You can receive a reasonable offer and still prefer to retain the player. What you needed to let him go was an unreasonable offer that favored you.
That would be the Essendon perspective.

The GWS perspective being it was an unreasonable offer and needed a reasonable offer to let him go.

Otherwise known as "no common ground". :D

That would be the Essendon perspective.

The GWS perspective being it was an unreasonable offer and needed a reasonable offer to let him go.

Otherwise known as "no common ground". :D

But reasonable isn't defined by the completion of a trade. Shiel trade was completed but we got ripped off. Not a reasonable trade.

Sensibility defines reason, not the perspective of the parties involved.

But reasonable isn't defined by the completion of a trade. Shiel trade was completed but we got ripped off. Not a reasonable trade.
Nah, that was entirely reasonable. We didn't want to lose him, but you wanted him and were prepared to pay an appropriate price to drag him out of us. The "poster boy" of reasonable trades.

Nah, that was entirely reasonable. We didn't want to lose him, but you wanted him and were prepared to pay an appropriate price to drag him out of us. The "poster boy" of reasonable trades.

Completely remove us from the scenario. Lachie Weller for pick 2 was not a reasonable trade.

Reason is defined by the value of the assets outgoing and incoming from a impartial perspective. Desire to keep or acquire doesn't define the value of the asset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting if he’s still keen on Victoria due to cousins etc or WA where he is from and parents live
Not sure that's right - Dodo called Hills management - Pies offered 4, Ess 3 - Hill picks Pies and then they pulled out and he was left with ess. His management got ess bump to 4 but Dodo didn't know he had no competition.

Not sure that's right - Dodo called Hills management - Pies offered 4, Ess 3 - Hill picks Pies and then they pulled out and he was left with ess. His management got ess bump to 4 but Dodo didn't know he had no competition.
lol what

Every time I hear this story it gets further from the first time I heard it

lol what

Every time I hear this story it gets further from the first time I heard it
How do you possibly know any of this to be fact?

It's covered in the Stan 'Show Me The Money' documentary covering trade period and the draft.

Hill had settled on Collingwood, as they were offering the extra year however after Collingwood spoke with GWS, they realised there was no realistic prospect of a trade and pulled out.

Hill's agent then called Essendon and said it would have to be four to convince him to pick Essendon, Dodoro was (rightfully) pissed as Hill seemed to change his mind on decisions and only agreed to four years on the proviso that Hill himself actually got on the phone and committed to nominating Essendon.

Another tidbit, Hill's management try to suggest that Hill was the last piece of the puzzle to put Essendon over for a premiership and they should up their offer to a future second and third. Dodoro said "If I did that deal I would be sacked".

It's covered in the Stan 'Show Me The Money' documentary covering trade period and the draft.

Hill had settled on Collingwood, as they were offering the extra year however after Collingwood spoke with GWS, they realised there was no realistic prospect of a trade and pulled out.

Hill's agent then called Essendon and said it would have to be four to convince him to pick Essendon, Dodoro was (rightfully) pissed as Hill seemed to change his mind on decisions and only agreed to four years on the proviso that Hill himself actually got on the phone and committed to nominating Essendon.
I haven't seen it as I don't have Stan...

The Collingwood link was 3-4 days after he requested a trade to us though. Did he switch his preference on the basis of a 4 year deal and then switch back when it was no longer offered?

I haven't seen it as I don't have Stan...

The Collingwood link was 3-4 days after he requested a trade to us though. Did he switch his preference on the basis of a 4 year deal and then switch back when it was no longer offered?

Its a bit murky as they don't time stamp when the conversations took place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back