Ian Callinan

Remove this Banner Ad

classy little player, just a shame we didn't get him a decade ago.

would be the ideal reserves skipper, lets hope he stays with us in some capacity.

Whether you've played lots of SANFL footy or not, you still need time to adapt to AFL standard. Had he come in 5 years earlier, he would be one of the best smalls in the comp right now. Stoked he got a crack at least, but real shame he didn't get the career he was good enough to have.

Considering his age, I guess we couldn't really keep him on but I really would have loved to have seen him in the same forward line with Pods and Betts (Tex obviously although he doesn't really provide as much for Callinan as the other two would have). Unfortunately it wasn't to be, hopefully if he doesn't get a deal with another club we get him to be the captain of our SANFL side.

Good player. Shame we didn't pick him up earlier. This has to be considered a bit of a blunder considering our lack of decent small forwards in recent years.

Age, the signing of Betts and the fact that he didn't cement himself in our best 22 this year made the decision logical and expected

Unfortunately the writing as been on the wall since the 2012 finals series where he seemed to lack that extra gear that is needed against top sides on the big occasions

Some will argue that his 2012 season was quite strong however again I think we were seduced by his strong performances against lower sides opposed to critically judging his performances against top sides

Nutter has never been blessed with leg speed and most smalls that play AFL past Callinan age usually have good leg speed such as Bomber Harvey and the club would have been mindful of how quickly the game passed Tyson Edwards and similar signs were there with Nutter

Champion bloke, smart player and won respect quickly however unfortunately should have been picked up 5-6 years earlier which highlights a real flaw in how clubs go about their talent identification

Rumours are getting stronger that he will be our mature age, ex Crow over 28 in the SANFL side next year. Especially after this tweet from Sando:

Fantastic, really happy to see this tweet.

Except I'm hoping, rather than being our mature age Crow in the league, that we have hired him in some kind of coaching/mentoring capacity. Or perhaps both as a coach and as a player in the league?

We could really use him working with our young players on goalkicking and training techniques.

I posted just after the season concluded that Nutter knew that he was unlikely to remain on the list and the club had discussed that in the event that he was delisted that he stayed on boarded in a sanfl playing leadership role that would evolve to a development coaching role once he finished playing

With this in mind and now the decision has come I hope Nutter gives the opportunity strong consideration as it is a good transition pay from playing to coaching and paths out a career option for him in the industry

Not to mention he is enormously respected and liked by the playing group and is the perfect candidate as Capt

Whether you've played lots of SANFL footy or not, you still need time to adapt to AFL standard. Had he come in 5 years earlier, he would be one of the best smalls in the comp right now. Stoked he got a crack at least, but real shame he didn't get the career he was good enough to have.

Well summarised.

Geez his kicking was sublime. Some of the best I've ever seen.

Fantastic, really happy to see this tweet.

Except I'm hoping, rather than being our mature age Crow in the league, that we have hired him in some kind of coaching/mentoring capacity. Or perhaps both as a coach and as a player in the league?

We could really use him working with our young players on goalkicking and training techniques.

He's also a winner. He believes in himself, and he wins. He does the business. The journey he and his family have been on, and the man he is, I'll be thrilled if he is involved with our players in a coaching or mentoring capacity.

Nutter will try his luck in the PSD, or is he eligible for delisted free agents?. He and his manager reckon he has a few more years left and that as he was a late AFL starter, his legs aren't shot like so many top-level players (Adelaide Now online today).
I guess if he doesn't get picked up, then he will be our SANFL skipper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nutter will try his luck in the PSD, or is he eligible for delisted free agents?. He and his manager reckon he has a few more years left and that as he was a late AFL starter, his legs aren't shot like so many top-level players (Adelaide Now online today).
I guess if he doesn't get picked up, then he will be our SANFL skipper.
Callinan is a delisted Free Agent .......but IMO he'll take up a playing role with the AFC to start a career in development .....a much wiser decision that possibly 1 year in the AFL & having to move interstate

I hope Nutta does captain our reserves side. The young developing players will be better for the experience and leadership that Callinan can provide

I hope Nutta does captain our reserves side. The young developing players will be better for the experience and leadership that Callinan can provide

Basically said as much tonight on AA that he would be getting those roles. ONly caught the back end of the interview, but that seemed the gist of it

Callinan is a delisted Free Agent .......but IMO he'll take up a playing role with the AFC to start a career in development .....a much wiser decision that possibly 1 year in the AFL & having to move interstate

his family is settled there, he has more opportunities in SA than any other state... too bad he wont move back to Tassie and take over AFL Tasmania

Ian suffered a stroke a few days ago - terrible news and all the best to the bloke

:(

My favourite ever Centrals player.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back