The Big Warrior

All Australian
Feb 16, 2005
Pecker Park
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville F.C.
Flicked on Channel 2 yesterday ( Sat. 14/7/07) and while having a look at the Sturt vs South clash, heard a familiar voice from way back...None other than former Channel 7 ( In Adelaide) commentator: Ian " Daisy " Day. Must say his commentating skills are still very sharp for a bloke who would be in his middish 60's methinks.

He stated he hasn't commentated for 14 years. I wonder if this is a " one off " or will he back on our screens again. Personally rate him as one of the very best callers of SANFL footy ever...Any other opinions on " Daisy "....

Listening to Daisy call a Sturt FF kicking a bag at Unley, it was like 1982 again!! If they are bringing in guest callers every week Mr Window cant be far behind.

They've GOT to get Max Hall, Ian Aitken and Wally May. The greatest ever SA callers (well, equal to Day and Marker....).

They've GOT to get Max Hall, Ian Aitken and Wally May. The greatest ever SA callers (well, equal to Day and Marker....).

I was watching the 1975 SANFL GF the other day and was loving the call from Hall, Aitken and May. I loved Wally's call of "PLAYED!!!!!!!!!!!" when Phil Gallagher kicked a goal in the final term. Wally was a gem. I was thinking how much he would hate today's football with the lack of body clashes.

Marker and Daisy were arguably the most professional callers of football in any state, in any era. They were great. My memories of Daisy were in the changerooms of the premiership team after a GF getting drenched with champers, beer, anything you could find. The drenching of Daisy was indeed a GF ritual.

I was watching the 1975 SANFL GF the other day and was loving the call from Hall, Aitken and May. I loved Wally's call of "PLAYED!!!!!!!!!!!" when Phil Gallagher kicked a goal in the final term. Wally was a gem. I was thinking how much he would hate today's football with the lack of body clashes.

Marker and Daisy were arguably the most professional callers of football in any state, in any era. They were great. My memories of Daisy were in the changerooms of the premiership team after a GF getting drenched with champers, beer, anything you could find. The drenching of Daisy was indeed a GF ritual.

Cheers A.H., some "spot on " observations from your good self!! The classic line of all time, Max Hall to Wally May: Max " Comment Wally May ", Wally exclaims " No Comment ", Max " Good comment Wally "....One of the classics methinks! Used to like Wally May's match summaries on Ch. 9's Footy Inquest on 5:30 PM Saturdays, would start by saying " It was tough, it was hard, neither team gave an inch.....much lol.

Then there was the " thinking man's " commentator- Ron Kitchen...It was hard to think that he had played League Footy with South Adelaide he seemed almost too mild mannered. If somebody had told me, he had been a footy umpire I would have believed them! And the list goes on-: Bo Morton, Stan Wickham etc.

Footy Inquest= Compulsory viewing if you got home in time......

I remember they used to have a show on 7 and 9 at the same time on Saturday evenings where a player from each club would come into the studio. One night there was no Norwood player at one station because both John Wynne and Phil Carman went to the other station.

That was a classic. Everything the commentator said was denied by Wynne and Carman. In the end the commentator was totally confused. Wynne would just sit there with his impish grin and I always remember Max Hall looking at John Wynne and saying, "sometimes I think you're having a lend of me John".

Here's some other commentators I recall ... Ken Farmer, Tom Warhurst, Pat Hall, Lawrie Sweeney, Dick Jones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's some other commentators I recall ... Ken Farmer, Tom Warhurst, Pat Hall, Lawrie Sweeney, Dick Jones.
I'm too young for Ken Farmer. Tom Warhurst was on Channel 7, I believe, in the Blair Schwartz days. I have a 1969 DVD of Woodville beating Sturt with Pat Hall commentating (teamed with Ian Day, special comments from John Halbert!). Field umpire Lawrie Sweeney used to bob up on World of Sport on a Sunday with Gordon Schwartz. Dick Jones was on ABC Radio, from memory, along with other luminaries such as David "Nipper" Christie, Jim Slaven (no relation to Rampaging Roy) and... West Torrens 1953 Grand Final BOG, last place kick taker ever and Woodville leg spinner Mick Clingly.

But one of my favourites was on 5AD when they went around the grounds. A gruff voice would appear from Richmond Oval or somewhere with a quarter time score and goalkickers... Horrie Nelson.

That amuses me with modern AFL on the radio. They say "and now around the grounds thanks to <insert sponsor here>", but there's only ever one other game!

I met Horrie Nelson a couple of years ago. I recognised him as the broadcaster but he said he played league football for Norwood. I didn't believe him because I had no record of a Horrie Nelson at Norwood. I found out later that Horrie's real name was John, and he did indeed play for Norwood.

I have a 12" record of the 1969 finals series and last quarter of the 1969 GF done by 5KA, and their sponsor at the time was Woodies Lemonade :)

Ian Day and Tom Warhurst also used to commentate the district basketball from Forestville Stadium on Thursday nights back in 1972, I used to love that. What I wouldn't give to see some footge, but it's probably all deleted.

Ian Day and Tom Warhurst also used to commentate the district basketball from Forestville Stadium on Thursday nights back in 1972, I used to love that. What I wouldn't give to see some footge, but it's probably all deleted.
THAT is awesome. The old Bearcats/Werner Linde days.

I have a 12" record of the 1969 finals series and last quarter of the 1969 GF done by 5KA, and their sponsor at the time was Woodies Lemonade :)

Some valuable memorabilia there Adel. Hawk! Methinks a Sturt diehard would enjoy that, Sturt flogged Glenelg in the '69 G.F. Yes 5KA, recall their main commentators were Rod McLeod and Ross Lecornu...Don't know if Rod McLeod had played footy at the highest level (Didn't think so) and I believe Ross Lecornu had umpired at League level. Thought they were a good commentary team from distant memory!

Can anyone recall sneaking the " transistor " into their room on a Thursday night in the late '60s to listen to the SANFL teams for the coming round of games! As a youngster would try to stay up and hear the teams, it might have been on 5AD ( I think) and was sponsored by Rossiter's- Airman boots LOL...Seemed to be on late it was probably around 9PM...ha,ha.

Does anybody recall that?....Ahh, nostalgic footy memories...Woodies Lemonade, the real taste with the real lemon tang!!

Cheers A.H., some "spot on " observations from your good self!! The classic line of all time, Max Hall to Wally May: Max " Comment Wally May ", Wally exclaims " No Comment ", Max " Good comment Wally "....One of the classics methinks! Used to like Wally May's match summaries on Ch. 9's Footy Inquest on 5:30 PM Saturdays, would start by saying " It was tough, it was hard, neither team gave an inch.....much lol.

Then there was the " thinking man's " commentator- Ron Kitchen...It was hard to think that he had played League Footy with South Adelaide he seemed almost too mild mannered. If somebody had told me, he had been a footy umpire I would have believed them! And the list goes on-: Bo Morton, Stan Wickham etc.

Footy Inquest= Compulsory viewing if you got home in time......

Great thread. I was a kid in the 1960s and remember all those commentators. Whenever my family and I are having an important discussion or have read something that warrants comment, I habitually turn to my wife and say, "Comment, Wally May?"

Bring back Wally May - if he's still alive.

Some valuable memorabilia there Adel. Hawk! Methinks a Sturt diehard would enjoy that, Sturt flogged Glenelg in the '69 G.F. Yes 5KA, recall their main commentators were Rod McLeod and Ross Lecornu...Don't know if Rod McLeod had played footy at the highest level (Didn't think so) and I believe Ross Lecornu had umpired at League level. Thought they were a good commentary team from distant memory!

Can anyone recall sneaking the " transistor " into their room on a Thursday night in the late '60s to listen to the SANFL teams for the coming round of games! As a youngster would try to stay up and hear the teams, it might have been on 5AD ( I think) and was sponsored by Rossiter's- Airman boots LOL...Seemed to be on late it was probably around 9PM...ha,ha.

Does anybody recall that?....Ahh, nostalgic footy memories...Woodies Lemonade, the real taste with the real lemon tang!!

Yes, I remember that era well. I phoned Ken Aplin's (ex league umpire) show (I think it was 5DN) one Thursday night when they gave out the teams and made a suggestion that players in the league team as well as the seconds should wear the same number on their guernsey the whole year. I won the best caller for the night prize and was posted out a carton of Craven A cigaretts. I was 15 at the time - lol!

I was just looking at the footy commentator word misuse/invention thread, and thinking about some of the classic SANFL commentators and their sayings. I knew there'd be a thread here somewhere.

Ian "Leap like a startled gazelle" Aitken.

Such great names from the past,sort of miss those days sometimes
the build up to 220pm every Saturday and the after match shows made football a part of life growing up in Adelaide.
Wonder what Wally May would have thought of a rolling zone?....maybe some long haired loud pop group!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back