Ian shuttleworth joins crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Reilly is a better kick than Brown, just for starters, and calling him mediocre is just more Scott Stevens Syndrome, making s**t up about whipping boys so you have a reason to rate your favourite young players above them.

If I'm picking our back 4 of players to play around Talia and Rutten right now, I'm taking Laird as the small stopper because he's currently better at essentially everything than Brown, Smith off one HBF, Reilly or Henderson off the other HBF, and then the final spot goes to best form/best match up depending on opponent, ie someone with a stacked forward line then Hartigan or Shaw are not out of place, a mosquito fleet then Brown is in the mix with Mackay.

I've watched Brown plenty enough. Simple fact, he's not as good as the angelic heralds on this board are proclaiming him to be. Has all the tools to be the next Doughty and a solid 150-200 gamer, but nothing more than that, and he's still yet to make it.

I liked Scott Stevens as a player he could perform a role and help the team win games. Reilly is just mediocre and has never cemented a position despite being given countless opportunities in every part of the field. The only position he looks better than ordinary in is playing as an unaccountable half back. Alas the opposition wised up and when forced to mark someone he faded back to norm. Hendo was a revelation in this role and has physical weapons that make him a far superior option.

Reilly will get a go in defence but no way will it be at the expense of Brown and I don't like Radars chances of playing many games injury dependant.

You're kidding yourself if you think Rory Sloane should actually have placed our club champ this year, he was really poor for the first half of the season and only came good in the last 4 or so games. How he managed to outpoll Douglas, who was far and away our best and most consistent player in 2013, and Dangerfield, who while also patchy had more good games than Sloane did, is something nobody has been able to fathom.
The only point I'm arguing is that the B&F is about who the coaching panel thought was our best player. Not punters sitting in the stands or watching TV .

You're kidding yourself if you think Rory Sloane should actually have placed our club champ this year, he was really poor for the first half of the season and only came good in the last 4 or so games. How he managed to outpoll Douglas, who was far and away our best and most consistent player in 2013, and Dangerfield, who while also patchy had more good games than Sloane did, is something nobody has been able to fathom.
Are you still dining out on Christmas vino? Because you're speaking crap. One example rd 4 v WB, 29 disposals, rd 21 v WB 17 possessions.

You can have seconds if you want, I'll wait for him to actually have poise (seriously? Laird is the one with poise, not Brown), and a season better than "good for a first year player" before I pen him into the team sheet.

As for the B&F finish, the same votes also had Rory Sloane as the winner, and his year could generously be described as a really slow start, patchy through the middle and a few good games at the end. The votes were just all over the place compared with what was actually happening on the ground at times.
Curious, out of Brown or Laird who was chosen to have more kick outs? And I really like Laird, but there is no way he has better disposal or more poise than Brown.

Curious, out of Brown or Laird who was chosen to have more kick outs? And I really like Laird, but there is no way he has better disposal or more poise than Brown.

I don't have that stat. I seem to recall neither of them was favoured for that job. Laird is nothing but poise in defence, you must be watching the wrong end of the ground, and his decision making when disposing is streets ahead of Brown. He's also a better handpasser, however in terms of the actual kicking mechanics they're both much of a muchness, in that band of average kickers league wide.

Backed it up in several typically myopic threads during the year. Off hand he was soundly beaten against St Kilda, Fremantle, Port, and at one stage should and probably would have been dropped after a trio of beltings in a row but was saved by injuries to others.

He's not yet as good as this board believes he is.
It doesn't really matter whether the club over-rated Brown or not.

Reilly isn't going to run around after the Michael Walters of the competition like Brown does. Too big, lumbering and slow.

If Smith stays back, it's Henderson vs Reilly for one spot. Unless they drop Laird.

As I said, it's an interesting test case.

To be fair, if your position is that the club so regularly lies that now you won't believe anything they report, it's probably time to take a step back. You can't be getting much enjoyment out of following a club administered by people that you so thoroughly distrust.

Here we go again.

If you can't separate the club from the clowns who run it I don't know what to say

Would you ever say the same thing about the country & government in place? Of course not.

So why suggest someone who supports their club/country must also support their admin/govt?

I don't have that stat. I seem to recall neither of them was favoured for that job. Laird is nothing but poise in defence, you must be watching the wrong end of the ground, and his decision making when disposing is streets ahead of Brown. He's also a better handpasser, however in terms of the actual kicking mechanics they're both much of a muchness, in that band of average kickers league wide.
Just curious, why have you turned this into Brown v Laird, who I both rate and not Reilly v Brown?

Could it be because Reilly has the worst disposal efficiency of all 3?

Here we go again.

If you can't separate the club from the clowns who run it I don't know what to say

Would you ever say the same thing about the country & government in place? Of course not.

So why suggest someone who supports their club/country must also support their admin/govt?

You should probably try reading my posts before responding to them. I'm not saying that. Hell, I flat out stated that you are unquestionably a supporter of the club in my follow-up post.

What I am saying is that if you've reached such an immense level of distrust for the administration of the club that even positive stories are immediately construed as negative ones simply because of that distrust, it's probably time to take a step back.

You should probably try reading my posts before responding to them. I'm not saying that. Hell, I flat out stated that you are unquestionably a supporter of the club in my follow-up post.

What I am saying is that if you've reached such an immense level of distrust for the administration of the club that even positive stories are immediately construed as negative ones simply because of that distrust, it's probably time to take a step back.

The moment you conflate the two then you are doing exactly what I said

The very instant you do that.

They are mutually exclusive things that must never be treated or referred to as being the same. Never, ever not even casually or accidentally. If our admin has made 1 error above all else, 1 single thing more than anything, it is to consider themselves as being the club itself. Its Trigg's greatest sin. Maybe his only sin, that everything else flows from

ps. My comment was obviously tongue in cheek, when the other bloke said we had zero net positions when the club has clearly claimed 2 new management spots.

Now I don't think its quite as simple of this but I do think its probably telling that we have created a spin manager position but are going to be 1 down in the coaches box

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with sanders here, his analogy with the Australian government is spot on.

I love Australia and am proud to be Australian but I detested the last government, the media commentators acknowledged that it didn't matter what Julia said the public wasn't listening - due to her past deeds/comments.

This is how I feel about the current AFC admin, I love the AFC and I am proud to say I am a Crows member but the people running the club at the moment have let us down.

Unfortunately every thing that comes out of Chapman/Triggs mouth (for me) is like Julia's last days, don't believe it and it just grates on me. In no way does it affect my love of the crows and the enjoyment I will have going next year to the games.

Same way as I was a happy little vegemite living in Australia under Julia - she just gave me the shits.

I agree with sanders here, his analogy with the Australian government is spot on.

I love Australia and am proud to be Australian but I detested the last government, the media commentators acknowledged that it didn't matter what Julia said the public wasn't listening - due to her past deeds/comments.

This is how I feel about the current AFC admin, I love the AFC and I am proud to say I am a Crows member but the people running the club at the moment have let us down.

Unfortunately every thing that comes out of Chapman/Triggs mouth (for me) is like Julia's last days, don't believe it and it just grates on me. In no way does it affect my love of the crows and the enjoyment I will have going next year to the games.

Same way as I was a happy little vegemite living in Australia under Julia - she just gave me the shits.

Pity that she lives in Adelaide. I'd prefer her to move somewhere like Djibouti.

When I get like that, I just take a step back from the news for a little while. You can still enjoy being an Australian without having to religiously follow the people in charge that infuriate you at every step.

Likewise, you can continue to support the Crows without hanging out for every little snippet of a comment from Trigg or Chapman just so you can pounce on it and declare "it's probably a lie" without any reason to assume so other than past history. If the administrators annoyed you so much, wouldn't you just stop listening to them so often? You can do that and still be just as big a supporter of the club.

However, if it was simply a tongue-in-cheek choke on Sanders' part, I guess I can see the enjoyment in that.

just so you can pounce on it and declare "it's probably a lie" without any reason to assume so other than past history.

That seems a pretty compelling reason no?

If you can't judge someone on past history & behaviour what can you go on?

However, if it was simply a tongue-in-cheek choke on Sanders' part, I guess I can see the enjoyment in that.

IF??!

And you say I jump on anything :D

Ps no harm no foul

That seems a pretty compelling reason no?

If you can't judge someone on past history & behaviour what can you go on?

This is exactly my point, though! You've now reached the stage where you have such distrust for them that you disbelieve anything they say... yet you still feel compelled to keep seeking out their comments!

Still, I'll buy the tongue-in-cheek line :p

Joc O'Connell moved to a new position outside of the comms team, and Ian Shuttleworth was appointed in place of him I believe. Anyone trying to paint this as some sort of negative story are kidding themselves.

As I said earlier, Shutts was moved into a new SENIOR media/pr role - as other roles/titles have been redefined. Agree with you, nothing negative out of this story.

This is exactly my point, though! You've now reached the stage where you have such distrust for them that you disbelieve anything they say... yet you still feel compelled to keep seeking out their comments!

what you actually just said is different though - you asserted that there would be no reason to believe something except for past history & behaviour.

Leaving out the personalities, and taken on its own there can't be many better reasons for coming to a conclusion. Any conclusion.

On the Off-Topic - our defenders ... I was critical of Brown earlier in 2013 season - he had games where he struggled to hold his opponent (eg. when Ballantyne ran amok but fortunately had an off kicking for goal day) ... but you need to accept some inconsistency for younger players. He definitely got better/more consistent as the year went on.

As for our back-7 (assuming a rotation from the bench).
Lock in talls - Talia & Rutten (Hartigan the reserve).
Otten - 3rd tall/mid.
Hendo & Reilly - need 2 distributor options IMO.
Laird & Brown.

Given limited rotations, I would consider rotating Smith, VB & other midfielders through HBF & giving some our non-tall defenders some time through the midfield. The Cats used to do this in their prime.

On topic ... I believe Shutts is a good person to have at AFC. My main concern is that we now have numerous ex-media types - do we really need this many? Would have thought that our #1 employment concern would be boosting the football department with Bailey's illness & getting more operational types into the club. If the club is run well, no need for the spin ;)

Here we go again.

Correct. They are merely custodians. Bricks in the wall.

Early contender for post of the year.

The rank and file members of footy clubs, as well and players and coaches have been at odds with admin many times at plenty of clubs over the course of history.

Five months away and people still crying about Trigg and his cheating.

BTW did I hear that virtually all our infrastructure at AO has been sold. That is the admin's job. Surely deserves a tick.

Shuts is a good appointment, helps to have a current media person in the role he is moving into.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back