ICC Chairman - "Test cricket is dying"

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not the franchises who would be funding it.

Who do you think gets rights money from the Big Bash? Just the franchises? Cricket Australia get it and they can distribute it how they see fit.
As long as the franchises get their slice and can keep operating there’ll be no problems.

I didn't say international cricket will die, just this format.

Not forever. The franchises will grow resentful. Twenty20 can't be a shield in the long term.
Nope, not forever. Until popularity cycles back.
People watch T20, these people will want to play cricket, they'll play it, learn more about the game, and learn to love test cricket as it is the purest form of the game. At absolute worst, you'd hope that would be enough to keep 8 teams of 11 players playing against each other occasionally like in the real early days.

It won't cycle back. In 30 years all the baby boomers will be dead and Twenty20 franchises will be older than the West Coast Eagles are today.

Stronger than sticking fingers in your ears.
Coming from you that is richer than Bill Gates.

But yeah sick burn m8 - it's only them stupid right wing traditional baby boomers keeping test cricket alive rite.

One of those days you will release progress doesn't always mean trashing good things from the past and present. Actually no, you probably won't, so have fun blocking your ears yourself and telling yourself test cricket is boring while the rest can actually appreciate the subtleties of the format.

Nothing to do with politics or hating baby boomers. Simply stating the reality of what's going on.

Bomber, you strike me as someone who doesn't actually like Test Cricket and feel they're getting in the way of the best players being available in the shortest format.

Your talk about MJ and played who retire in their mid-30s retiring from Tests is some sort of proof that the format is dying. Did you think for a second that maybe it's far easier to stay on the park without constant pain and issues in a t20 compared to 5 days in a Test (Simon Jones' book highlights that side of things really well).

Not to mention for a supposed t20 mercenary Johnson barely played t20 going into retirement so it's pretty clear where his actual priorities were.

The vast majority of sports players are highly competitive and love the game. Tests are obviously the peak of this, do you think a highly competitive player like Kohli would be content being the best in t20s but was mediocre at Tests, the format with the most respect and the format which is most reflected on? Kohli has scored a ridiculous amount of ODI tons, big t20 innings but I doubt many people could actually tell you about any of them. Whereas plenty of his Test knocks are very easy totell anyone about given there's so many game states/scenarios that factor in. ODIs/T20s don't really have that same level of depth. There's not a chance that players will drift away from the format. The only countries with said issues are South Africa and West Indies right now and those issues are on the boards themselves, the players want to play Tests.

Tests are incredibly special and there is NOTHING in sport quite like it and likely never will be. Maybe that's not for everyone, but for those who love it, it can't be replicated and it's the reason we follow Tests between all nations, not just Australia given the contest and what it means is so much more then "I want Australia to win". Most of the things you talk about just further suggest you hate the format. Draws add a hell of a lot, our draw against Pakistan in the UAE not too long ago was an incredibly exciting finish and by not having you change elements of the format to making them useless. Also I'm pretty sure there's been far less draws in recent time so it's a pointless complaint anyway.

T20 might be more popular but it's not something to bank on. If AFL was a year long endeavor and it was competing with the Cricket season I firmly believe that very few Australians would bother to turn on a t20, they'd just stick to footy. Most of the people who are into it and not Tests usually aren't loyal cricket fans, the next big thing can come along and they'll also disappear, the same does not happen with Tests because it's so unique.

If for some reason Tests went away or were watered down to a point where the experience is lost, a lot of fans will lose interest in Cricket full stop, I've talked about it in other posts but the solution for growing the game is to find other ways to monetise it, not to focus on filling stadiums and worry that it's dying if people aren't glued to their couches for 5 days straight.

Stronger than sticking fingers in your ears.

Mate a bunch of people, myself included, have given a whole bunch of historically based reasons why test cricket has a long future ahead of it. precedents.

All you’ve provided is the name of a fast bowler who stopped playing tests at the traditional time most fast bowlers stop playing tests.
There’s only one person with fingers in their ears and it ain’t me.

Test cricket has said to be dying for as long as I have been following cricket which was 1990.

I’m pretty sure in Australia at least crowds are better than they were in the 80s for tests.

The only attendances which have fallen off a cliff in Australia are ODIs, in comparison to even 15 years ago.

13,000 fans across 100 countries does not seem like a very helpful way to conduct a poll. I'd be surprised if there were even 100 countries with a significant cricket following. I wouldn't consider the MCC impartial either, so won't rule out them fishing for a pro-Test result.

Don't get me wrong I'd like to believe it, I'm just not convinced by this poll. It seems even more useless considering the previous ICC poll mentioned in the article had a much more impressive methodology, focusing on the relevant countries.:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23920270/icc-survey-reveals-billion-fans-90-subcontinent
The survey was carried out in the 12 Full Member countries, and China and the USA - the latter two because they've been identified as non-traditional markets with huge potential for growth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

13,000 fans across 100 countries does not seem like a very helpful way to conduct a poll. I'd be surprised if there were even 100 countries with a significant cricket following. I wouldn't consider the MCC impartial either, so won't rule out them fishing for a pro-Test result.

Don't get me wrong I'd like to believe it, I'm just not convinced by this poll. It seems even more useless considering the previous ICC poll mentioned in the article had a much more impressive methodology, focusing on the relevant countries.:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23920270/icc-survey-reveals-billion-fans-90-subcontinent

Yeah fair enough, may as well include it in this discussion though.

The MCC's membership makes the Melbourne MCC's membership look forward thinking. They also own probably the only cricket ground in the world, Lord's, that regularly sells out Test matches. So it's in their interest to keep it a big deal.

The MCC's membership makes the Melbourne MCC's membership look forward thinking. They also own probably the only cricket ground in the world, Lord's, that regularly sells out Test matches. So it's in their interest to keep it a big deal.
Sydney and Melbourne have the strongest crowds for Test matches at any venue almost every single year.

Pretty common for the Poms other grounds - Edgbaston, The Oval, Manchester to be full on at least the first day or two most years.

Am sure the next argument will be yeah they're only 20k... :rolleyes:

The two tests played when everyone is on holidays? Well, I never....
Several Boxing Day/New Year tests are played these days in NZ/South Africa. Crowds are nowhere near what ours are. Tests are typically scheduled around public holidays in India and Sri Lanka as well and rarely get crowds like ours.

But that's too 'American'!

I could definitely live with it. It's a hard one to apportion blame as was mentioned batsmen are extremely influential replacing gloves every two overs, but I think establishing something visible like that would go some way in the right direction.

MCC recommends countdown timer between overs and fall of wickets to tackle slow over rates in test cricket.

It also recommends a free hit for no balls in test cricket.

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/...-countdown-clock-in-test-cricket-2064887.html
Not a fan of it, but if the timer is the only fix then I can live with it. 30 overs a session, rather than 90 a day, would be a starting point. Whatever is brought in, trial it first in tour games, "A" team games, and other non-competition games.

As for no-balls, just get the umpires to bloody call them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back