[ICC Cricket World Cup 2003] - Australia vs India

Remove this Banner Ad

GoEagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Discuss the upcoming Australia vs India match on this thread.

This day game will be coming from Centurion, South Africa and could be more of a challenge to the Australians than their last match against Pakistan.

India struggled with their batting against the Netherlands, but one suspects that a big score could be around the corner again.

Another interesting fact is that Ricky Ponting may face Harbhajan Singh who has dismissed him 5 times in a row when these 2 sides have played.

India is a team that can rise to occassions despite poor form and with Tendulkar, Sehwag, Ganguly and Dravid leading the batting and Srinath, Singh and Kumble (if they all play) they could take it right up to Australia.

They certainly have the players to beat Australia it is just a question of if they can gel as a unit or not.

big game for australia. with india likely to go through, a win would count as 4 points and allow us to possibly lose a super six game (maybe two) yet still make the semi finals.

if australia wins this game, i'd say that we are certainties for the semis.

if india wins, they i'd say they are certainties for the super sixes.

Originally posted by GoEagles
Another interesting fact is that Ricky Ponting may face Harbhajan Singh who has dismissed him 5 times in a row when these 2 sides have played.

The Turbanator says, 'Hasta la vista baby!"

I think that this world cup has shown enough that you shouldn't write a team off! Anything can happen in ODI's and they certainly have the talent.

Their biggest problem is that Ganguly insists on opening the batting when I reckon that Sehwag/Tendulkar would be an awesome combination. I don't think that his decision is popular within the ranks! - and without as I hear from some Indian supporters on another list.

The big key is early wickets. Sehwag, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid and Yuvraj Singh are all quality batters, and we need to get rid of a couple of them early.

Should be a good game.

I think all of the sub-continental teams will be hard pressed to win a world cup in South Africa. All have struggled when touring there.

Sehwag and Sachin are the keys, if they perform, then India can win - if not the Aussies will cruise.

Originally posted by tiger of old
i hope sachin makes a century.but we still win.

cheers!
I love watching The Little Master bat. I hope to see him do well, but I still want the Aussies to come out firing.

Just heard the news that India have won the toss and will bat first.

Will be interesting to see how Sachin Tendulkar and Sehwag perform and if Australia can win the run chase

From BaggyGreen.com.au

The Indians managed just 204 against a weak Netherlands attack. Many of the batsman have struck form, not least Andrew Symonds who thumped a commanding 143 not out against Pakistan

The wicket looks very dry, looks hard and almost white in colour.
It doesn't really look like there's much in it for the spinners
There has been overnight rain however though and this could play a part

India still need to back their spinners to do the job for them
Of course there's plenty of talk about Sachin Tendulkar as usual.
He is set to open the innings.
India have gone into the game with an inchanged team from the
previous game

India have won the toss and elected to bat first
Ian Harvey after picking up four wickets in the last game has been
left out of the side as Darren Lehmann and Michael Bevan return to the side

India team: *SC Ganguly, +R Dravid, SR Tendulkar, V Sehwag, D Mongia, M Kaif, Harbhajan Singh, Yuvraj Singh, A Kumble, J Srinath, Z Khan.

Australia team: ML Hayden, +AC Gilchrist, *RT Ponting, DR Martyn, MG Bevan, DS Lehmann, A Symonds, GB Hogg, B Lee, JN Gillespie, GD McGrath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dizzy Gillespie is putting together a brilliant spell of bowling.

Shame we don't have Freak Harvey to come on when Dizzy is finished, but hopefully Boof and Hogg can get through some overs.

India 77-5, 26.5 overs.

The Aussie bowlers are doing their job, and then some.

Looks like the Baggy Greens are going to have a nice, low target to shoot for when they come to bat.

(Also, as a parallel thought... If India are supposed to be the Aussies' closest challengers in this competition, then Australia should have no problem holding onto the World Cup, right?)

Cheers,
William

Aussies way too fit, too powerful, and contain far too much depth ...

I fear that this whole World Cup is very quickly turning into a one-sided rout.

I suspect also that the next month of cricket may be simply to see who comes second ...

I still think India are a small chance in this game.

If Srinath and Khan can keep things tight early, whilst getting a couple of wickers, i would expect the 'Turbinator' and Anil Kumble to put enormous pressure on our middle order.

Australia win in a canter by 9 wickets. They have beaten India four times in a row in World Cup meetings.

This match was similar in style to their meeting in the 1999 World Cup - there the deciding factor in the match was that India's highly regarded top order being no match for Australia's pace attack.

And I agree with GhostofJim Jess, Australia will win this Cup in a canter.

Originally posted by you_idiot
If India are supposed to be the Aussies' closest challengers in this competition, then Australia should have no problem holding onto the World Cup, right?

Whatever gave you the impression that India were the Aussies main rivals in the World Cup? I think that it might be South Africa surely....

Jason Gillespie just reinforced my opinion that he is the best of the 3 fast bowlers. A mixture of McGraths accuracy and Lee's pace makes him a fearsome proposition, especially now that he is more of a thinking bowler than before. What about the delivery that got Tendulkar the ball after the 145kmh yorker that almost got through Mongia. Brett Lee could have used similar nous against Harbajhan

an awsome display by the aussie,s last night.
things were looking a tad shakey at the start with the indians getting up to 6 runs per over.altho 3 wickets you could put down to crap shots from the batsman it was obvious that we did our planning and executed it to a tee.
dizzy is the unsung hero in the side.i believe sides take him less serious than mcgrath or lee.
great call in giving lee the new ball in those conditions but still not convinced totally that he should open in normal conditions.
the only worry to come out last night was the 4th bowler.symonds is clearly not up to it.
we may have to sacrafice a batsman for either harvey or bichel.

cheers!

Originally posted by Briedis
Whatever gave you the impression that India were the Aussies main rivals in the World Cup? I think that it might be South Africa surely....

It's something that I had read... and I meant to write one of their main rivals... I got just a bit carried away, I'll admit that.

South Africa would be higher-regarded, of course, and that match will also be interesting.

Having clarified that, though, I still can't see Australia losing their grip on the trophy. Just too good a side, even with having to cope with all of the obstacles thrown in their path (eg., the Shane Warne row).

Still, Australia to beat South Africa, and it wouldn't surprise me if it happened somewhat as handily as the win over India last night.

Cheers,
William

Originally posted by JUBJUB
Tony Greig had an orgasm everytime the Indians got a run.
The way Tony Greig was carrying on about how good Tendulkar is was embarrising When he hit a single according to tony it was magnificent,a defensive shot "perfect',a four well l think he was having a orgasm.
We all know Tendulkar is a great batsman so to Tony l say shut the **** up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back