[ICC Cricket World Cup 2003] - Australia vs Zimbabwe

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by RogerC
That was a ripper caught and bowled. Going like a rocket.

Are you talking bout brett lee's catch.If you are i agree with you.That was a pretty good catch and i loved his reaction.He was a bit shocked, probably because he was still wondering if he had a head left.lol.

Lehmann saves the day after Martyn is bogged down.

Another fine innnigs by the boof.

No batting for Bevan who needs to bat at three against Namibiia to get some time in the middle and possibly even England as it will be a dead game for us.

Blignaut was outstanding. Very lucky catch by Lee, all survival insticnt.

Originally posted by Jars458
Lehmann saves the day after Martyn is bogged down.

Another fine innnigs by the boof.

No batting for Bevan who needs to bat at three against Namibiia to get some time in the middle and possibly even England as it will be a dead game for us.

Blignaut was outstanding. Very lucky catch by Lee, all survival insticnt.

well done boof. an unsurprising innings from martyn really.

Originally posted by Jars458
Martyn is bogged down.

martyn is the one player in the side who could loose the wc for us.he is too slow.either open him with hayden or gilly or drop him.
the middle order you are suppose to keep the runs flowing in an upward spiral not the other way round.

cheers!

Geez if some of you had your way we would have sent in a pinch hitter instead of Martyn.A 50 with a strike rate of over 70 is very acceptable.Thought it was a very responsible innings by Martyn.If we had of lost him cheaply it would have exposed the middle order a bit I reckon.

Originally posted by tiger of old
martyn is the one player in the side who could loose the wc for us.

a very very harsh call, BUT, i seemed to be saying the same thing to myself yesterday. hard to say that one player could lose a game on their own, but i guess the situation could arise where we are 7 down with only martyn in, and u just wouldn't think he'd be capable of a border/s waugh type innings.

anyway, his stats are very good, but he doesn't fill me with confidence. if i had to choose between marto and stevo for the 1st test for v the windies, its bye bye to marto and welcome back captain.

You people are so stupid, the only reason you don't like Martyn is because he is a conservative batsmen who knows when he needs to score quickly and knows when to not give away his wicket.

No one has had a go at Ponting for his much slower run rate than Martyn in yesterdays game despite Martyn having a higher career strike rate than Ponting aswell as an almost identical career average. Martyn may not be as entertaining as the likes of Ponting and Gilchrist but he doesn't need to be, he has his job to do and he does it extremely well. Cricket is a sport not a television show, if you want entertaining change the channel.

exactly Zombie. Martyn is playing the same role as Dravid does for India, as a steadying ship. No one will be dropped from the test side, it will remain the same with Martin Love still waiting.

Martyn is playing under instruction from JB, so there is really no chance he will be dropped when he is doing exactly the thing the coach/captain want.

Originally posted by Zombie
You people are so stupid, the only reason you don't like Martyn is because he is a conservative batsmen who knows when he needs to score quickly and knows when to not give away his wicket.

No one has had a go at Ponting for his much slower run rate than Martyn in yesterdays game despite Martyn having a higher career strike rate than Ponting aswell as an almost identical career average. Martyn may not be as entertaining as the likes of Ponting and Gilchrist but he doesn't need to be, he has his job to do and he does it extremely well. Cricket is a sport not a television show, if you want entertaining change the channel.
let me exapnd a bit more. i have said it a few times. we cant afford to have both martyn and bevan in the same side let alone both in the middle order.
all is fine when we have the match in control like last night.however we have been exposed in the past when the runs per over rise,s.and believe me we will face this situation in the super 6,s.
david boon was the perfect anchor batsman because that what he was thourghout his career and played the role perfectly whereas martyn has gone from an attacking player to that role but will never be as effective as boon was.

as for ponting last night the difference is we know what he is capable of.

cheers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by tiger of old
let me exapnd a bit more. i have said it a few times. we cant afford to have both martyn and bevan in the same side let alone both in the middle order.
all is fine when we have the match in control like last night.however we have been exposed in the past when the runs per over rise,s.and believe me we will face this situation in the super 6,s.
david boon was the perfect anchor batsman because that what he was thourghout his career and played the role perfectly whereas martyn has gone from an attacking player to that role but will never be as effective as boon was.

as for ponting last night the difference is we know what he is capable of.

cheers!
Why cant we have both Bevan and Martyn in the middle order they both have fantastic strike rates.Both can hit boundaries when needed and work the ball around when needed.We cant just have a team of boundary hitters because the run rate would come to a stand still in the middle overs when the field goes out.Thats where wristy players who can work the ones and twos like Martyn and Bevo come in.I reckon they slot perfectly between Boof and Symonds.You have two right handers and two left handers in the middle order who are capable of playing a variety of roles.

Originally posted by dogboy23
Why cant we have both Bevan and Martyn in the middle order they both have fantastic strike rates.Both can hit boundaries when needed and work the ball around when needed.

In the last two years they both have terrible strike rates. And I query the fact that they can hit boundaries when needed, it rarely happens. Martyn hit about 2 boundaries last night and one was an edge between the keeprs legs.

If Bevan had come in instead of Boof the run rate required would have gone above 6 easily. They may have made it, but then again they may have gotten out, both have happened before. Lehmann made it a comfortable win, because he is a far better player of spin than Martyn.

Originally posted by Port01
In the last two years they both have terrible strike rates.

Evidence?

And I query the fact that they can hit boundaries when needed, it rarely happens. Martyn hit about 2 boundaries last night and one was an edge between the keeprs legs.

They didn't need to hit boundaries last night, the simple fact is that you wanted him to hit boundaries to entertain you, I'll take doing his job over your entertainment any day.

Martyn has a better strike-rate than all batsmen in the team except Gilchrist and Lehman, better average than all except Ponting, Bevan, Hayden, Jones...(in ODI history)

He's made 4 100's....Steve Waugh made 3 in his whole one day career.

The 6 batsmen in the team now, are currently the best 6 in Australia...clearly.

Martyn was fine.

He didn't need to do anything drastic or spectacular.
Just found the gaps, hit 1's and 2's.

Did the job fine.
I'd prefer his innings to say a quickfire 20 or 30 then a cheap dismissal.

Originally posted by nicko18
:eek: here we go, a side full af hack allrounders. never mind when we have to front to a half decent side.

Hack allrounders? Harvey was leading the wickets for Oz before yesterdays game. Not bad for a bloke who has only played 2 out of 4 games.

We had "hack" allrounders against the Paks and it wasn't a problem. In fact those hacks were our best players, Harvey, Symonds and Hogg.

We have not missed Mr. Insomnia (Bevan) at all.

They didn't need to hit boundaries last night, the simple fact is that you wanted him to hit boundaries to entertain you, I'll take doing his job over your entertainment any day.

Lehmann hit 6 or 7 boundaries, and we won with less than 3 overs left.

Obviously some boundaries were necessary.

Well said Zombie.

The only possible change that could occur to our squad is that Harvey may replace Symonds if Symonds bowling can't be relied upon. Otherwise, our side is functioning perfectly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back