[ICC Cricket World Cup 2003] - South Africa vs West Indies

Remove this Banner Ad

The West Indies will start underdogs in this match but one-day cricket is a funny game and they aren't without a chance. Their batting looks to be their strength with Gayle, Lara, Hooper, Chanderpaul, Samuels, Powell and the keeper Jacobs in their squad. South Africa look strong though, Gibbs, Kirsten, Kallis and Kluesner will be ones to look out for with the bat while Pollock, Ntini and Donald will lead their bowling attack.

The pressure will be on the Proteas in this game. They're playing in front of their home crowd on their own conditions, but no host nation has won the World Cup in the history of the competition so history suggests they might struggle.

Originally posted by ScouseCat
The West Indies will start underdogs in this match but one-day cricket is a funny game and they aren't without a chance. Their batting looks to be their strength with Gayle, Lara, Hooper, Chanderpaul, Samuels, Powell and the keeper Jacobs in their squad. South Africa look strong though, Gibbs, Kirsten, Kallis and Kluesner will be ones to look out for with the bat while Pollock, Ntini and Donald will lead their bowling attack.

The pressure will be on the Proteas in this game. They're playing in front of their home crowd on their own conditions, but no host nation has won the World Cup in the history of the competition so history suggests they might struggle.

I think the West Indies are a good chance. They have some terrific young batsmen who have really started to come on, especially in he one-day game. Ronnie Sarwan and Chris Gayle head this list. Wavell Hinds is also playing well ATM. Samuels is another but I think he is out injured for the WC. Add these youngsters to Lara, Cahnderpaul and Hopper and there batting stacks up to any in the world.

Their biggest problem will come from their bowling. They need to get more out of young players Collymore, Pedro Collins and Lawson. Dillon, McClean and Drakes will have to step up as well.

But, in one day cricket a good bowling attack is less important than in test cricket, so I think the Windies can do well - especially if they can perform in this match and get some confidence early.

Im tipping the windies to pull off a upset...they nearly did it at the ICC Championship trophy tourny and they would have won if it wasnt for that no ball that Merv Dillion bowled with the last ball (which of course ended up becoming the 2nd last ball).

Samuels will play - I stand corrected!

I found this article on the West Indies Cricket Board website
www.windiescricket.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 February 2003 13:38

Marlon Samuels
SAMUELS LEAVE TODAY FOR THE CRICKET WORLD CUP
by WICB Media Release

ST. JOHN'S, Antigua - West Indies batsman Marlon Samuels will leave Kingston this evening for the Cricket World Cup 2003 in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Kenya.

The CWC 2003 Technical Committee gave its approval on Friday for the reinstatement of Samuels after it heard the West Indies Cricket Board's case presented by Acting Chief Executive Officer, Roger Brathwaite, to allow the gifted, young batsman to rejoin the 15-member squad in South Africa.

"We are pleased with the decision of the CWC 2003 Technical Committee and we are now looking forward to Marlon joining the squad and giving of his best for West Indies in the CWC 2003," remarked Michael Hall, the Chief Cricket Operations Officer of the WICB.

Samuels arrives in Cape Town on Sunday morning ahead of the CWC 2003 opener, a day/night contest between West Indies and South Africa later in the day.

Ryan Hinds, Samuels' replacement when he was withdrawn from the squad a fortnight ago, will return to the Caribbean to represent Barbados in the Carib Beer 2003 Cricket Series and is likely to depart South Africa no later than Monday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is anyone going to watch it tonight? It goes from 11pm-7am so I'll try and watch some of it. SA should win easily but I will be barracking for the Windies (I can't stand the South Africans).

Originally posted by St-KriS
Im tipping the windies to pull off a upset...they nearly did it at the ICC Championship trophy tourny and they would have won if it wasnt for that no ball that Merv Dillion bowled with the last ball (which of course ended up becoming the 2nd last ball).

So am I BUT they must bowl well, that is their weakness. I hope they belt the arse of the big headed wannabies. BTW I also think the poms will beat them in England later in the year.

Go you Windies. I love to watch the Windies play. Their aggresiveness, yet easy going nature makes the games they are involved in a joy to watch.

Sarwan will make a big impact on this tournament.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by mattyc2422
Go you Windies. I love to watch the Windies play. Their aggresiveness, yet easy going nature makes the games they are involved in a joy to watch.

Sarwan will make a big impact on this tournament.

Plus Lara, Hooper, Chanderpaul and (apparently) Gayle. They should make some big scores in the tournament. One of the reasons I think they will make the S/F

Originally posted by EagleBlue
Plus Lara, Hooper, Chanderpaul and (apparently) Gayle. They should make some big scores in the tournament. One of the reasons I think they will make the S/F

Gayle is going to be a gun player. He has really hit his straps in the last 12 months. 400+ runs in the 7-match one-day series in India is a fair effort!

Reminds me a lot of Clive Lloyd .... hits the ball just as hard too.

Well, it didn't take long for a pathetic umpiring decision.

Wavell Hinds has every right to be mightily ****ed.

West Indies struggling at 2-7 in the 7th over. Hinds was out for a duck and Lara was almost out first ball (getting too squared up as he can early in his innings).

South Africa's opening bowlers are both very good but I think the WI have made it harder for themselves by leaving too many balls early in the innings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back