ICC Test Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Being so hard to win a test match, let alone a whole series away, I wonder why ICC ratings do NOT weight home/away/neutral series. An away win should worth way more than an home win.

To simplify, under the current system, a win can be worth 90, 50, or 10 points (and a loss, -10, -50, or -90) depending on the opposition. I wonder if they could add weight for ground (e.g., 75/25 – away/home, 50/50 – neutral):

away win: +75
home loss: -75

home win: +25
away loss: -25

neutral win: +50
neutral loss: -50

Those would be added to the opponent weight, so a win could range from 165 points to 35, plus the opponent's rating. For instance, considering this Ashes, the values of the matches (the series being considered an extra match) currently are:

AUS win: ENG rating + 50
AUS loss: ENG rating - 50

ENG win: AUS rating + 50
ENG loss: AUS rating - 50

I wonder whether it could have been:

AUS win: ENG rating + (50+25)
AUS loss: ENG rating - (50+75)

ENG win: AUS rating + (50+75)
ENG loss: AUS rating - (50+25)

In other words, AUS win at home would be worth 75 points, while ENG win away would be worth 125 points. On the other hand, AUS loss at home would cost 125 points, while ENG loss away would cost 75 points.

Does it make sense?
Would it improve the current system?

If they had that system, SA would still be number one on the back of things they did 3-4 years ago.

Those points would still be divided by 2, as they are today. If SAF would still be first, it would be fair.

I'm sure they've already looked at that and dismissed it. There's one or two countries who struggle away from home who'll never hold the mace under that system. Can't have that.

Ratings would swing more, I suppose. I can't do the math to check the effects those changes could cause.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back