[ICC WC 2003 - Super Sixes] - Australia vs Sri Lanka

Remove this Banner Ad

GoEagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Discuss the opening Super Six Finals game between Australia and Sri Lanka on this thread.

This day game will be coming from Centurion which was the venue Australia defeated India on the 15th February.

Australia looked shakey against England and without a superb bowling effort from Andy Bichel and a steady batting innings from Michael Bevan, the result could have gone the other way.

Sri Lanka have had an excellent World Cup apart from their lack luster performance against Kenya. They would be reasonably confident against Australia after defeating them in the recent VB series.

This should be a fantastic game to start the serious business of the World Cup.

Channel Nine will be televising the game live from 4pm WST.

Originally posted by tiger of old
has a gut feeling we may lose this one.our top order are not in the greatest of form added to the fact our one weakness is against a top line spinner.

cheers!
Definite danger game for us. I'm not convinced we can go through the world cup undefeated. A loss may not be such a bad thing as long as Murali doesn't gain a mental edge over our batsmen. IMO, Martyn should open while the quicks are on, as he can't play spin well.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Definite danger game for us. I'm not convinced we can go through the world cup undefeated. A loss may not be such a bad thing as long as Murali doesn't gain a mental edge over our batsmen. IMO, Martyn should open while the quicks are on, as he can't play spin well.
agrees it may be the loss we had to have so too speak.
i read it somewhere that we can afford to loose 2 games in the super 6,s and still make it thru to the semi.s.and we have to face the kiwi,s who as we all know always set up a gear when playing us.

cheers!

With the way Vaas is bowling at the moment and with De Silva showing signs of form we will probably lose. Brett Lee will once again be belted around the park and the team will say he is scaring them which is absolute bull****. With the Kiwi to play also we are lucky we didn't lose to the poms.

At least we'll beat Kenya to reach the semis

Sri Lanka only beat us once in four matches in the VB from what I remember

Their spinners at night was the main problem.

Should be a close game but Australia would have to be favourites.

Lehmann to make a very nice score and McGrath to rip through the top order.

Jayasuria is the key. Get him out early and they are gone.

I have a feeling that this is the world cup final preview.

Sri Lanka always save the best for Australia - after their 96 tour who could blame them! If Sri Lanka win, that could give them a mental edge over Australia.
Recent tournaments against them - ICC trophy and in Sri Lanka - we lost pretty badly to them. Jayasuria and Murli are the dangers.

If Australia win, I don't see anyone getting near us for the rest of the tournament.

Should be a bloody ripper!:p

Lets not forget Vaas and Muralitharan, two of the best bowlers of the world-cup so far. Don't expect the Aussies to push 300 in this game without some truly exceptional batting.

The key will be whether or not Sri Lanka's middle order can hold up against a slightly weakened bowling line-up. On form you would think not.

This game is an excellent chance for Brett Lee to pick up a few wickets. If he can't, you have to wonder what he's doing in the team. Bracken is capable of doing more than carrying the drinks.

Originally posted by tfcha2

This game is an excellent chance for Brett Lee to pick up a few wickets. If he can't, you have to wonder what he's doing in the team. Bracken is capable of doing more than carrying the drinks.

Yes, this game is a big test for Lee, to see whether a good run of one-day form if he has resorted to his old ways. The assumption would be that Lee's bowling would likely shake up the Sri Lankan batsmen and he would be expected to fire tonight. Ponting has stated previously that he doesn't tolerate Lee's high economy rate, and if he were to be expensive for the third match in a row (after Zim and England), then his spot may be in doubt. On a broader scale, I don't think Ponting is as big a fan of Lee's bowling as Waugh was.

If he doesn't, there's every chance that Bracken would be brought in for the Kenyan game (as a sort of warm-up) and could be stuck with for the rest of the tournament.

As for the result, while it would be true to say this is the game Australia can afford to lose, their mindset during this tournament suggests that they won't be slacking their mental attitude in the slightest.

It's a hard match to predict, but I think Australia will lift and win.

Great start so far, 0-68, with 11 boundaries off the first 10 overs.

Sri Lanka now have spin at both ends, with Murali operating with Aravinda.

Interesting time ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't take long for the first shocking umpiring decision of the Super Sixes.

Hayden was through the shot before the ball even got near the bat.

Poor effort from Billy Bowden.

1-81

Originally posted by tiger of old
oh dear instead of keeping the pressure up and bring in boof in comes mr "slow the run rate down" martyn:rolleyes:
is there a rule not to tamper with the batting lineup during a game?

cheers!

was thinking the same thing. as i post this.... he is looking EXTREMELY shaky. i'm not convinced it is at a stage where consolidation is necessary.

i'm happy enough for Martyn to stay, I mean he scored a 50 at nearly a run a ball. but he just looks so unconvincing. even with his 100 over the summer, i was rapt that he got it off the last ball, but at times it was painful, and he must frustrate his batting partnet sometimes.

hard to say i'm disappointed with 319 but it just seemed like everyone accepted that the game was over, including the commentators, the sri lankans and the aussies, whether we scored 350 or 300 or even less.

just looking at the SS games, Sri Lanka are no certainties to progress to the semis. Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka will be a huge game!

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
Didn't take long for the first shocking umpiring decision of the Super Sixes.

Hayden was through the shot before the ball even got near the bat.

Poor effort from Billy Bowden.

1-81

Dopey bloody Kiwi clown. :rolleyes:
Steve Bucknor could've given 10 decisions in the time it took Billy to give Hayden out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back