ICC Women's World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Games 1 and 2 have started.

SL 188/9 v NZ
Ind 281/3 v England

England need a record score to win tonight. Our girls start their title defence tomorrow night 7:30pm AEST v the West Indies in Leicester

Only the one group with the top 4 (of 8) progressing to the Semi Final stage.
Also there's Alison Mitchell on commentary. ABC grandstand listeners would know her, very good commentator.

mugiwara

Team Captain
Dec 20, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
India
India made it through. Mithali Raj is absolute legend. And Smriti batted brilliantly. Unfortunate to miss out on 100.

Comfortable victory in a match that was not without a few eyebrow-raising moments. Felt a bit sorry for Stafanie Taylor at the toss when she accidentally said they'd bat before quickly correcting herself. By the letter of the law there's nowhere to go for the match referee except to rule Australia would bowl first, but very harsh nonetheless.

Also a strange non-runout decision with the batsman well short (Alyssa Healy didn't really appeal so I'm not sure what happened). Even with limited camera angles I would have thought they'd be using a 3rd umpire as much as possible in those scenarios.

West Indies batted themselves into a nice position but Perry and particularly Jonassen took big wickets at key stages to pull the rug out from under their innings. Conversely, Nicole Bolton converting her start into a big score ultimately decided the game.

Not sure if I'll be able to catch the next one against Sri Lanka but looking forward to seeing how the remainder of the tournament plays out. Useful tweet:

DT_fanatic

Premiership Player
Mar 14, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Crazy that the Windies didn't get to bowl first. The written reports make it sound like she changed her mind much later but having just watched footage it was clear she'd made a mistake and corrected it right there and then. Common sense should have applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
There is no third umpire referrals in the women's World Cup. Although I think each team might get a review much like the mens.

Tremendous performance by the Aussie openers. Quite liked the performance of Bolton.

Has there been any updates on the Windies fielder who copped the blow to the back of the head.

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
The English have set Pakistan 378 to win. Knight & Sciver both scoring centuries

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perry's steady 70 schleps them to a target which really only exceeded 200 because of her own short around-the-wicket s**t at the death.

I tend to think all these teams have a high two-out all-out vulnerability about them, but the West Indies are surely the worst offenders. Rolled for 49 by a South African outfit that is in no way a certainty of making the semi finals (although the net runrate boost helps), a performance like that makes you question whether depth of talent is the only issue.

Getting my first look at the Pakistan women. Initial impressions aren't quite compatible with their previous results, particularly the 377 they conceded against England. Very tidy stuff from both of their opening bowlers so far.

Australia end up on a hefty 8/290 but GEE, what could have been. Haynes and Villani dropped on about 10, Healy should have been stumped on 15. There's 120 runs right there without even getting into the numerous and I'm sorry to say comical ground fielding errors.

True that our long batting lineup, even with Lanning sitting out, took their chances well enough to post that extremely defensible score, but Pakistan's bowlers had the better of them for most of that innings.

Oaktree

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the best three sides are clearly Australia, England and India.

The Aussies might seem the most dangerous, but they too can be susceptible to wayward bowling and sloppy fielding.

Fourth is a toss up between South Africa and New Zealand. I was surprised the Saffers copped a pasting last night but England's top order have been terrific since their game with India.

The fact the Saffers didn't drop their bundle and still made 305 is a credit to them.

Scragadder

Team Captain
Sep 19, 2016
Sydney/Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think the best three sides are clearly Australia, England and India.

The Aussies might seem the most dangerous, but they too can be susceptible to wayward bowling and sloppy fielding.

Fourth is a toss up between South Africa and New Zealand. I was surprised the Saffers copped a pasting last night but England's top order have been terrific since their game with India.

The fact the Saffers didn't drop their bundle and still made 305 is a credit to them.
The only SAF women's player I've seen live is Marizanne Kapp (Sixers). She is QUICK. Van Niekerk real handy spinner on tv (but missed the Sixers games I've been to). NZ classy outfit too esp batting, Bates got tons of composure, McGlashan (watched her win a game for Sixers in 2015 off the last ball) got class. Agreed, coin toss between those two.

Oaktree

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
5 teams into 4 semi final spots won't go. Which team will miss out?
I think the NZ v SA game washout makes it a bit harder to predict.

Whoever is able to get a win (England, India, South Africa) over the Aussies in their final three games should guarantee themselves a place.

I'm going with NZ to miss. They will need to beat India to get in I reckon.

That being said India's batting has been pretty underwhelming with Mandhana struggling the past three games. Their batting needs to pick up to ensure they progress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back