Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Who's watching?

Love games from the subcontinent. Perfect timing. Home from work and they're on straight away. A few boring game at the start but hopefully the Canadians and co will get bundled out soon enough. I guess these dud flavour teams are a necessary evil but the 1992 World Cup in Australia was SO good.

Eight teams. Good teams. Seven minor round games each. You played everyone. Semis and grand final to follow. Simple. Perfect.

Ponting's broke a tv with his box, did he? :rolleyes:

Yeah right. Go Ricky! Nice to see some fire in the belly. :D

Haven't watched a second of it (and I went to the Sheffield Shield on Tuesday) to demonstrate my passion for cricket.

Something about ODI cricket I just can't get up for anymore, particularly as all the matches so far seem to be established nation v minnow.

last nights match was a great match, unfortunately england were good enough to get themselves out of the 292 run hole they dug themselves against the dutch :(

Been watching bits and pieces so far. So far the England v Netherlands game has been the best match of the tournament. Unfortunately, the rest of the minnows so far have proven why the ICC only want 10 teams in the 2015 World Cup (which will be co-hosted by us and New Zealand).

The quality of cricket so far has been quiet poor, but that's to be expected in the poor conditions the sub continent offers.

Agree, boorish behaviour that has become Ponting's trade mark. Pity it used to be the pull shot:(

On topic how good was the throw that got Ponting!?
twas one of the great throws :thumbsu:

the celebration was equally as good

This is probably the second most realist WC in sport (Football would be the realist)
3 of the ten have been held on the subcontinent.Australia has made the final of all 3
4 have been held in England.

We have Qualified for 6 of ten wc finals

75 England lost to the West Indies. (blighty)
79 Australia lost to the West Indies (blighty)
83 West indies lost to India (blighty)
87 Australia defeated England (india)
91 Pakistan defeated England. (Australia)
96 Sri lanka defeated Australia. (pakistan)
99 Australia defeated Pakistan (blighty)
03 India lost to Australia (south Africa)
07 Australia Defeated Sri Lanka (carribean)

We made the last 4 wc finals, 5 of the last 6 (that one we missed out was on home soil)

Bit of a trivia question:

Since the last World Cup final, umpire Steve Bucknor has retired, so obviously won't be umpiring the final in this World Cup. When was the last time Steve Bucknor did not umpire the World Cup final?

The 2007 World Cup killed One Day International Cricket. What a snooze-fest and this will be pretty much the same.

Once again the tournament goes for far too long. From mid-February to early April. With one match a day and the majority of them being pool matches, people will have lost interest by the time the "important games" come around. The pool stage is pretty much just a warm for the established nations and in the end, just weeds out the minnows - in embarrassing fashion!

The top 4 from each group go through. So after 6 pool matches each and several weeks later, we only eliminate 6 of the 14 teams? Why not just reward the top 2 teams from each group and go straight to the semi-finals instead of having a quarter final? Having a top 4, the minnows are usually out of contention early, so the top 4 nations of each group will be pretty much set early. Talk about some boring pool matches to finish up. Positioning for the quarter finals is only at stake, and with the unpredictability cricket throws up (weather, pitch, Duckworth/Lewis, neutral ground) there is no real advantage being a #1 seed, as opposed to a #4.

One game a night? An event solely made for TV then. Crowds? Around 10,000 for the first Australia game. For an international event, labelled a World Cup, in a cricket mad country - poor result.

The sub continent cricket fan annoys me. Cheering singles? Screaming and jumping up and down when your team hits a four but is 8/134 and chasing 331 with 15 overs remaining? Some would say passionate, I say silly and not in touch with reality.

The Indian commentators annoy me. Is it Sunil Gavaskar that always says: "AND TAKEN" for a catch? So muteable!!!

World Cup of Cricket - no thanks. :thumbsdown:

For the life of me I don't understand this 1 game a day thing. Presumably Indian TV $$$?

Makes the whole thing drag on 3 times as long as necessary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what gets me apart from the complete lack of effort from the commentary box to inject excitement into the game, is the constant use of the "yahoo-oo-oo". The crowd go for it every time. What a bunch of drones. Yahoo execs must be pi$$ing themselves that a large portion of a heavily populated continent join in on their little jingle 40 times daily and can be led sheep.

The 2007 World Cup killed One Day International Cricket. What a snooze-fest and this will be pretty much the same.

Once again the tournament goes for far too long. From mid-February to early April. With one match a day and the majority of them being pool matches, people will have lost interest by the time the "important games" come around. The pool stage is pretty much just a warm for the established nations and in the end, just weeds out the minnows - in embarrassing fashion!

The top 4 from each group go through. So after 6 pool matches each and several weeks later, we only eliminate 6 of the 14 teams? Why not just reward the top 2 teams from each group and go straight to the semi-finals instead of having a quarter final? Having a top 4, the minnows are usually out of contention early, so the top 4 nations of each group will be pretty much set early. Talk about some boring pool matches to finish up. Positioning for the quarter finals is only at stake, and with the unpredictability cricket throws up (weather, pitch, Duckworth/Lewis, neutral ground) there is no real advantage being a #1 seed, as opposed to a #4.

One game a night? An event solely made for TV then. Crowds? Around 10,000 for the first Australia game. For an international event, labelled a World Cup, in a cricket mad country - poor result.

The sub continent cricket fan annoys me. Cheering singles? Screaming and jumping up and down when your team hits a four but is 8/134 and chasing 331 with 15 overs remaining? Some would say passionate, I say silly and not in touch with reality.

The Indian commentators annoy me. Is it Sunil Gavaskar that always says: "AND TAKEN" for a catch? So muteable!!!

World Cup of Cricket - no thanks. :thumbsdown:

Pretty much sums up the flaws of the World Cup. Tournament should go for 1 month maximum. Can easily be done simply by playing 2 matches a day.

At least they dropped the super 8's stage

Wow!

That's more like it. Indian 338, England 338.

Get rid of the minnows and we'll see some decent games.

England threw it away in the end. Had them on toast, called the powerplay and folded meekly. Couple of great strikes at the end and they snuck a draw.

More of the same please!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back