T20I 2022 Mens T20 World Cup (in Australia, postponed from 2020)

What T20 World Cup games will you attend?

• Perth ENG vs AFG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hobart GA1 vs GB2

• Hobart Double Header - BAN vs GA2, RSA vs GB2

• Perth PAK vs GB1

• GABBA BAN vs GB1

• AO Double Header (1) GB1 vs GA2, IND vs BAN

• AO Double Header (3) RSA vs GA2, PAK vs BAN

• MCG IND vs GB1

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Scotland are on their way to the World T20. Would love to see George Munsey get a BBL contract

It would never happen, but would love to see an associate slot outside the international slots for the lineups.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
It would never happen, but would love to see an associate slot outside the international slots for the lineups.
Interesting suggestion I heard recently was that perhaps IPL or BBL teams take over or otherwise link up with T20 teams in lower-ranked competitions and use them a bit like minor league/feeder teams. Say the Rajasthan Royals sign a young player and send them off to their Everest League affiiliate for a season to get some experience, then they "graduate" up to their Euro T20 Slam affiliate and so on. But at the same time it gives a direct link to those associate nations players to the big money leagues.

Oman rounds out the teams heading to Australia. I’ve got my holidays already booked to follow the Black Caps around, and hopefully I can slip down the highway to Bellerive to watch the Associates in the Qualifying group

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Bought ticket for the final. Probably the same bay as 2015 (cheap seat :p).

Held off on Australia vs New Zealand as it could be a dead rubber.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Bought ticket for the final. Probably the same bay as 2015 (cheap seat :p).

Held off on Australia vs New Zealand as it could be a dead rubber.
Don't want to watch a dead rubber but you're happy to start threads and give updates on a 7-match T20 tri-series between Afghanistan, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh?

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
All three State of Origin matches will reportedly be played in the space of 14 days this year after the season, on 4, 11 and 18 November, presenting a possible clash between Game 2 and Australia’s possible T20 World Cup semi-final at the SCG.

It is expected the men’s T20 World Cup will be cancelled or postponed, amid concerns over travel for the 16 teams and whether crowds can attend. But after Channel Nine aired concerns over clashes with the World Cup last month, a clash appears certain if the tournament does go ahead.

The top-ranked Australians are guaranteed to play in the 11 November semi-final if they progress out of their group, due to a deal that sees their final-four game slated for the SCG.

Nine has the exclusive free-to-air rights to the World Cup semi-finals, and would therefore be set to show the match. They also have the rights to State of Origin, meaning they would be forced to split their viewers between two of their channels.

Technically, anti-siphoning laws means both events should be on Nine’s main channel, as sports on the list cannot premiere on a digital multichannel. Both State of Origin and Australia’s Twenty20 World Cup matches on home soil are on that list. That has however not been followed in the past, with Nine showing last year’s Ashes on Gem.

Cricket Australia and tournament organisers are still hopeful the World Cup can be played as planned, with the event set to be a massive financial windfall for the cash-strapped sport. However there are concerns over whether Indian officials will want the tournament to proceed, given the Indian Premier League could be pushed into that slot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WT20 scrapped for IPL lol.

Makes sense actually. In the IPL you have maybe 30-40 international players in total coming to India...

The WC has 16 teams of players each with 20 players plus staff...that is a LOT more traffic. It will be 12 months before the world is back to fully operational in terms of large world cups, the Olympics in mid year is pushing that timeframe.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Reports coming through that WT20 will be postponed and IPL will go on in its place.

Seems like CA scratching India's back so they'll tour later this year.
ICC run the World Cups.

It makes sense, though. At some point you have to call it off, and right now there is little chance the Australian Government will re-open borders in time for the vent to go ahead. So just call it early.

That then gives India the window to play the IPL. Perhaps the BCCI were putting pressure on the ICC to make a decision sooner rather than later, but I think the key thing here is the border closure.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
ICC run the World Cups.

It makes sense, though. At some point you have to call it off, and right now there is little chance the Australian Government will re-open borders in time for the vent to go ahead. So just call it early.

That then gives India the window to play the IPL. Perhaps the BCCI were putting pressure on the ICC to make a decision sooner rather than later, but I think the key thing here is the border closure.

Pulling the pin on the World T20 this year makes sense. It would be next to impossible to host.

The problem is the next world cup is due to be played next year...in India. I cannot see India giving that up without a fight, so there's every chance this World T20 has been lost to Australia completely.

Pulling the pin on the World T20 this year makes sense. It would be next to impossible to host.

The problem is the next world cup is due to be played next year...in India. I cannot see India giving that up without a fight, so there's every chance this World T20 has been lost to Australia completely.

Oh well, happens. It's only a t20 WC in the scheme of things. I just hope the test series is on.

But who runs the ICC?

BCCI:
tenor.gif

Back