Iconic broadcasters of VFL/AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Mazlum

Boss
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
A bit of a different one here.
Shane Healy used to partner Rex on AW in the early nineties.
Obviously not remembered by many but I loved his commentary style, painted the picture well and was a great partner for Rex. Those two are my favourite combo.
I remember Shane Healey, he and Rex had a great combination. Rex used to call him The Kid, from memory.
It was great right up until the point Healy sacked Rex

desie

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2004
Gumnut Cottage
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Arsenal, GWS Giants
When I think about my lifespan of footy from the 70's to present day the names that spring to mind are :
  • Peter Landy
  • Sandy Roberts
  • Ian Robertson
  • Bruce Macavaney
  • Drew Morphett
  • Lou Richards
  • Anthony Hudson
  • Rex Hunt
And sadly..
  • Clinton Grybas
Peter Ewin came across from the ABC to call with Lou on Channel 7 in ‘77 and will forever live on given the drawn GF.

Got the punt for Peter Landy after one season.

I recall a piece in the GF Record on former commentators a couple of years back where it said he declined to be interviewed so clearly it didn’t end well.

qman

All Australian
Jun 7, 2011
Swan Hill
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Traditional vic teams
Peter Ewin came across from the ABC to call with Lou on Channel 7 in ‘77 and will forever live on given the drawn GF.

I recall a piece in the GF Record on former commentators a couple of years back where it said he declined to be interviewed so clearly it didn’t end well.
Dude had a good voice for calling.

qman

All Australian
Jun 7, 2011
Swan Hill
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Traditional vic teams

Reckon he sounded quite a lot like Landy. The 77 GF is the only match I have ever heard him on. I enjoyed his call of that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad