Iconic broadcasters of VFL/AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of a different one here.
Shane Healy used to partner Rex on AW in the early nineties.
Obviously not remembered by many but I loved his commentary style, painted the picture well and was a great partner for Rex. Those two are my favourite combo.
I remember Shane Healey, he and Rex had a great combination. Rex used to call him The Kid, from memory.
It was great right up until the point Healy sacked Rex

When I think about my lifespan of footy from the 70's to present day the names that spring to mind are :
  • Peter Landy
  • Sandy Roberts
  • Ian Robertson
  • Bruce Macavaney
  • Drew Morphett
  • Lou Richards
  • Anthony Hudson
  • Rex Hunt
And sadly..
  • Clinton Grybas
Peter Ewin came across from the ABC to call with Lou on Channel 7 in ‘77 and will forever live on given the drawn GF.

Got the punt for Peter Landy after one season.

I recall a piece in the GF Record on former commentators a couple of years back where it said he declined to be interviewed so clearly it didn’t end well.

Peter Ewin came across from the ABC to call with Lou on Channel 7 in ‘77 and will forever live on given the drawn GF.

I recall a piece in the GF Record on former commentators a couple of years back where it said he declined to be interviewed so clearly it didn’t end well.
Dude had a good voice for calling.

Reckon he sounded quite a lot like Landy. The 77 GF is the only match I have ever heard him on. I enjoyed his call of that game.

Tim Lane was the classic caller for mine.
Mike Williamson, Butch Gale and EJ had tremendous chemistry and feel for the game/moment.
Phil Gibbs and the halcyon days of the VFA were compulsory viewing also.
You could almost feel him willing a “dustup” to break out and he/we never had to wait very long …

Tim Lane was the classic caller for mine.
Mike Williamson, Butch Gale and EJ had tremendous chemistry and feel for the game/moment.
Phil Gibbs and the halcyon days of the VFA were compulsory viewing also.
You could almost feel him willing a “dustup” to break out and he/we never had to wait very long …

It's pretty much an open secret that at the height of those 'halcyon days' for the VFA in the late 70s, early 80s, that if a game was a bit dry, the direction would come down from Channel 0 for a bit of biffo to commence! The game of the week for broadcast was often chosen based on the likelihood of a stink!

The best memories are those of your childhood when you were wowed. Star Wars as a 7yo. Heavy rock in 1980. My intro to footy, at least taking proper notice of it as a little kid, was the Hawk v Bombers GF's of the 1980's, the single greatest match up of grudge, talent and aggression ever seen on the big day, all in spades, three times in a row. The commentary was Lou Richards. Right there, that's why he to me is the greatest...!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Captain Blood Jack Dyer.
"If you don't mind umpire"

Lou Richards

Peter Landy

Mike Williamson

Harry Beitzel on radio
"Are you there Tommy?"
his very old sidekick Tommy Lahiff

Drew Morphett

Tim Lane

Doug Heywood

Don Hyde on 3UZ between the races

Sandy Roberts

Next era
Bruce McAveney
Dennis Commetti

There was one in WA that used to hear on State of Origin games in Perth but as did not hear him much did not remember the name.

There no iconic callers in current era.
Well none are to me.
There are some ok callers now but nobody just feels iconic to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back