I'd like to complain about the umpires...

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Isaac Smith's kick across the face of goal appeared to roll out of bounce.

It resulted in a goal and kick started Geelong's belief.

How inconclusive was the Johnson mark on the behind line? On the scoreboard it looked like not all the footy had crossed the line.

After the Lynch decision they were always going to lack courage on a close score review and I knew when it occurred it would be to our detriment.

You guys were robbed. Good on McRae for calling it out. AFL clearly want Dangerfield and Cats to win a flag - watch the Cats continue to get a dream run with the umps right thru the finals. Corrupt.

Never attribute to corruption what can be more easily explained by incompetence.

The gambling money in the game means that the AFL can’t afford to put any romantic narratives above governance. Because if it got out and became public (and it would if the umpires were complicit) then it would kill the game.

Chief Ten Beers

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
The "umpires have put the whistle away" is the part that gives me the sh1ts. If it's a free kick, then pay it. Do your job.

Yes, not only does the AFL have different rules for different players, the rules can also change based on the game's quarter and if its a final or not.

Is there any professional sport in the world that does this? 😂

Yes, not only does the AFL have different rules for different players, the rules can also change based on the game's quarter and if its a final or not.

Is there any professional sport in the world that does this? 😂

It’s the one thing that frustrates the most, this “put the whistle away and let them play” notion because it’s finals or a close game in the last quarter is complete rubbish. Rules are rules and if there’s an infringement then pay it, regardless.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
At the game I assumed the free was paid by the out of zone umpire (not the closest ump). When that occurs there can’t be advantage.

If so, it’s a case of s**t rule rather than a bad decision. Really it shouldn’t have different advantage rules depending on which ump sees it.

Not familiar with that rule but stilll… that’s an umpiring error if the closest umpire didn’t pay Pendles the free in the first place and had to get overruled by the out of zone umpire. Still a s**t decision.

Last edited:

farrer2607

Draftee
Aug 26, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
The coach said it all when he remarked on excellent tackles resulting in dropped balls being ignored all night and yet the sly positioning of a ball under a tackled player was awarded a penalty almost every time. This destroys the fundamentals of our great game and umpires need realise the importance of honouring great tackles.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Maddo11

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Ginnivan high tackle well a headlock really, just inside center square which they took the ball clear.
Was atrocious but we all know he has his own umpire rule book so its open season on him.View attachment 1499015View attachment 1499016View attachment 1499017
Your Screenshots miss the fact that Ginni grabs 2es arm and flops like a fish

Screen_Recording_20220904-090806_Boost_2.gif

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood

View attachment 1499085
And your gif shows clearly that the initial contact is high.
Does it matter if he grabs his arm or flops after the contact.
Do that to Selwood and it's a free every day of the week.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
One facetious OP + two more to keep it all well stoked... and there are 34 serious responses. You guys realise it's Markfs kicking this off for laughs right?

facetious - definition "treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humour" football or umpiring? gee that's unfair...

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
facetious - definition "treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humour" football or umpiring? gee that's unfair...

Is it...

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

View attachment 1499085

He is being tackled before he has possesion and the first tackle is high. Then he grabs and let's go keep the footage rolling and old mate from Geelong also cranks him over then back and holds the headlock.

So no my screen shots don't miss s**t thanks for playing.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
And your gif shows clearly that the initial contact is high.
Does it matter if he grabs his arm or flops after the contact.
Do that to Selwood and it's a free every day of the week.

Not only that my stills show after that point that he conveniently stops the gif, once on ground he rolls on his back then reefs him back into position in a headlock. Not letting go at any point.

Ridiculous to say ginnivan played for it laughable.

Elliott was two steps away from getting to the ball in one occasion yet it was called deliberate.

They've moved away from deliberate and are now calling it "insufficient intent". So if a clearing kick is near the boundary (which they nearly always are) and it bounces out, you're in trouble. I think it's a ridiculous interpretation whilst they allow blokes to just step over the line if they are boxed in by a tackler, but that's how it's now umpired.

Kelstra

Draftee
Sep 3, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
The umpiring is atrocious and has been for some time. I used to support umpires but that went out the window when they introduced three of the clowns. All the three scumpire system has done is to make a very ordinary situation three times as bad. Week in, week out we see games decided by appalling umpiring. These idiots have brought new meaning to the word incompetent.
Every week we see poor umpiring but yesterday was probably the worst we have seen this year.
To have rules where the umpire has to decide if a breach has been committed - such as whether an out of bounds was deliberate or not is ridiculous. The reality is, these clowns are not capable of making these decisions.

Back