I'd like to complain about the umpires...

Remove this Banner Ad

If you want to whine about umpires, maybe go back to the Blues game to see IQ’s blatant push on Silvagni which gave us an appalling free, which ultimately won us the game and the double chance.

But you wont, will you?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep. We were gone. Cripps marked in front. Bullshit free to Cameron to save our bacon and then it goes up the other end and Johnson gets a soft blocking free and goals. Mother of all momentum swings due to us getting lucky with the Umps.

the Selwood one in the last qtr with the umpire no more than 10m away with a direct unimpeded view gobsmacked me, shouldn’t be surprised though considering who it was and who he was playing against. One arm throw with right hand with the pretend back to front handball technique
Defied the laws of physics

Watching highlights seemed every poor decision resulted in momentum changing goals

Ginnivan non free possible 12 point turn around
Howe sling, another goal

And how the hell did Cameron get that free from Maynard kicking out on full? Rohan a mile in front of him heading to boundary, the commentary actually called Rohan’s free, somehow Jeremy Cameron has claimed it. Blatant cheating

Yep. We were gone. Cripps marked in front. Bullshit free to Cameron to save our bacon and then it goes up the other end and Johnson gets a soft blocking free and goals. Mother of all momentum swings due to us getting lucky with the Umps.

Considering the umps miss about 3-5 free kicks on Ginnivan a game, I wouldn't get too hung up on it...

How far does complaining about umpiring decisions or any other bad luck get you?

It's the amount of poor decisions, especially when 1 umpire in particular has form there. Does make one start to wonder if bias is effecting his decision making.

We already know they have bias and instruction as the treatment and ruling on Ginnivan over the course of 2 months has shown. They won't pay him free kicks even when he doesn't contribute to it.

We just had one of those days with the umps.

Cats def got the rub of the green. But not in the way of 'atrocious' decisions.
Umps made mistakes for both teams.

Cats just got most of the 50/50 calls/non calls in key moments.

The pendles one is a great example.
If that one isn't paid, then we have a shot from 15 out.....but cats get lucky because it was paid by out of zone ump (therefore no advantage can be paid).

....just one of those days when, at key moments in time, the call (or non call) favoured the other team.
It usually favours a team in every game....just wasn't us on Sat.

I kept saying to my mate as the game rolled on that we need to get lucky on a 50/50 in a key moment. We just didn't.
Not the fault of the umps at all....just the way the game rolls!

I was so impressed that the boys did not drop their heads after not being rewarded for all that effort by the umpires. They took it all in their stride and fought hard for four quarters. Credit has to go to the entire organisation for instilling such a strong playing culture and mindset this season. This is why I fully expect us to beat Freo this week and to give the Swans an almighty shake in the prelim.

The pendles one is a great example.
If that one isn't paid, then we have a shot from 15 out.....but cats get lucky because it was paid by out of zone ump (therefore no advantage can be paid).
That's crazy, especially considering if 'the umpires had put the whistle away' then he still would have completed the handball, then kick, then mark anyway!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How far does complaining about umpiring decisions or any other bad luck get you?
Like swearing, it relieves the frustration. :) If enough people, especially coaches and media commentators point out the terrible decisions/non decisions it definitely influences the AFL as far as taking action is concerned. That's why Fly made his comments on the lack of reward for our brilliant tackles.

i'm lying around the house today with a deeply felt need to complain about the umpiring. I know we have too many investigations of everyday problems these days, but surely reasonable people will see that we need an independent investigation of the relationship between joel selwood and the umpires. I cant see how a reasonable person would deny that is needed. A truly independent investigation. It's never too late. If, somewhere along the way, Joel has saved the life of an umpire's child and they have responded with a lifelong pledge of loyalty, then so be it. At least we'll understand the circumstances. As it is, I end up with this deep-seated knot in my stomach and a need to complain....

Like swearing, it relieves the frustration. :) If enough people, especially coaches and media commentators point out the terrible decisions/non decisions it definitely influences the AFL as far as taking action is concerned. That's why Fly made his comments on the lack of reward for our brilliant tackles.
I do think that there's some truth to that. The squeaky wheel does often get the cheese. To me the search for every call that we didn't like is just sooking, but the key thing is what Fly focussed on - the interpretation of the holding the ball rule. There's little doubt in my mind that they gave the ball carrier extra leniency in that match and that we were negatively impacted. I think Longmire would have been pretty happy with Fly's comments, Us and Sydney are the two teams that will be negatively effected if that interpretation remains for the rest of the final series. So hopefully the complaining has an impact and they tighten up.

i'm lying around the house today with a deeply felt need to complain about the umpiring. I know we have too many investigations of everyday problems these days, but surely reasonable people will see that we need an independent investigation of the relationship between joel selwood and the umpires. I cant see how a reasonable person would deny that is needed. A truly independent investigation. It's never too late. If, somewhere along the way, Joel has saved the life of an umpire's child and they have responded with a lifelong pledge of loyalty, then so be it. At least we'll understand the circumstances. As it is, I end up with this deep-seated knot in my stomach and a need to complain....
I’d be handling it a lot better if it wasn’t *n Geelong. The dead shits in the media all saying they’re invincible and we wouldn’t get near them and we were better than them for most of the night and should of won. It was never going to be our night when Gary *n Rohan kicked 3 in a final. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I do think that there's some truth to that. The squeaky wheel does often get the cheese. To me the search for every call that we didn't like is just sooking, but the key thing is what Fly focussed on - the interpretation of the holding the ball rule. There's little doubt in my mind that they gave the ball carrier extra leniency in that match and that we were negatively impacted. I think Longmire would have been pretty happy with Fly's comments, Us and Sydney are the two teams that will be negatively effected if that interpretation remains for the rest of the final series. So hopefully the complaining has an impact and they tighten up.
I still want an explanation for the non free to Ginnivan with the ump in question being shown the replay. I'd like to be told why the advantage call was disallowed when AJ marked 20 m out. I'd like to know how an experienced ump could watch Howe get slung as he kicked yet still rule deliberate out of bounds. These are not minor moments. They were game changers. How can you look at them from close range and make such appalling calls?

I still want an explanation for the non free to Ginnivan with the ump in question being shown the replay. I'd like to be told why the advantage call was disallowed when AJ marked 20 m out. I'd like to know how an experienced ump could watch Howe get slung as he kicked yet still rule deliberate out of bounds. These are not minor moments. They were game changers. How can you look at them from close range and make such appalling calls?
I've heard that the advantage call was disallowed because the free kick was awarded to Pendlebury by the non controlling umpire in which case advantage can not be taken. Given the number of non-calls made during the game, the free kick to Pendlebury appeared to be odd. I kind of think that non-controlling umpires should keep out of things but for the most blatant of free kicks, they should also have a feel for the game. Pendlebury was always giving that ball to Jack who was in space. At best it was a dumb call.

Someone needs to heed my earlier call for transparency and accountability. Politicians (at least some) are subject to the will of the people, so why shouldn't umpires also be held to account?

A system of election seems fairest but might be hard to set up. I'd certainly like the blowtorch of media scrutiny turned upon the private and inner lives of these 'independent' arbiters of our game.

At the very least, their decisions and non-decisions should be referable to our new federal corruption commission.

Answers will be found, even if the questions are strange.

For the bolded, according to barrackers, advantage can't be paid if the free is given by a non-officiating umpire, which apparently this one was. I don't really understand the reason for this rule.

With the Howe one, they're not really trying to judge deliberate anymore - if a clearing kick goes out of bounds without anyone getting close, they ping it even if it's a miskick and have been doing so all year.

I thought the Ginnivan in the back looked a straight out error, but haven't seen the replay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back