I'd like to complain about the umpires...

Remove this Banner Ad

I do think that there's some truth to that. The squeaky wheel does often get the cheese. To me the search for every call that we didn't like is just sooking, but the key thing is what Fly focussed on - the interpretation of the holding the ball rule. There's little doubt in my mind that they gave the ball carrier extra leniency in that match and that we were negatively impacted. I think Longmire would have been pretty happy with Fly's comments, Us and Sydney are the two teams that will be negatively effected if that interpretation remains for the rest of the final series. So hopefully the complaining has an impact and they tighten up.

Lol the squeaky wheel gets the oil, never heard the cheese/Mousewheel version before.

For the bolded, according to barrackers, advantage can't be paid if the free is given by a non-officiating umpire, which apparently this one was. I don't really understand the reason for this rule.

With the Howe one, they're not really trying to judge deliberate anymore - if a clearing kick goes out of bounds without anyone getting close, they ping it even if it's a miskick and have been doing so all year.

I thought the Ginnivan in the back looked a straight out error, but haven't seen the replay.

The main umpire can call play on if he deems it disadvantageous to the team to award the free kick.

So instead of advantage it's just play on and no change to general play.

Last edited:

I’d be handling it a lot better if it wasn’t *n Geelong. The dead shits in the media all saying they’re invincible and we wouldn’t get near them and we were better than them for most of the night and should of won. It was never going to be our night when Gary *n Rohan kicked 3 in a final. 🤦🏼‍♂️

i feel your pain....at least we know rohan will go back to being a dud for the rest of the finals

Someone needs to heed my earlier call for transparency and accountability. Politicians (at least some) are subject to the will of the people, so why shouldn't umpires also be held to account?

A system of election seems fairest but might be hard to set up. I'd certainly like the blowtorch of media scrutiny turned upon the private and inner lives of these 'independent' arbiters of our game.

At the very least, their decisions and non-decisions should be referable to our new federal corruption commission.

Answers will be found, even if the questions are strange.

yes it reminds me of the crown situation. so many people at the top invested in the corruption... we have no idea if umpires are being paid off by crime gangs in china for not paying decisions. Bets on how many free kicks in games....how many holding the balls.... millions of dollars change hands....

yes it reminds me of the crown situation. so many people at the top invested in the corruption... we have no idea if umpires are being paid off by crime gangs in china for not paying decisions. Bets on how many free kicks in games....how many holding the balls.... millions of dollars change hands....

This thing definitely has layers to it, from the banality of systemic bias against Collingwood at the bottom to the stench of entrenched corruption at the top.

The swamp must be drained.

I mean what qualifications have umpires got in psychology or physics or anything related, that would give him skills to judge whether a ball was kicked out of bounds without sufficient intention of keeping it in. Do they know if players are practising kicking balls at training and hiding their intentions? What key factors are used in determining the intentions of players kicking the ball? We talk about the gains by teams using systems-based football, but is there any system to the umpires making these decisions. Is there an angle to the ball going out? Does it need to bounce less than 10 times or some other figure? How many metres away does the nearest player need to be? There needs to be a system-based approach.

You've now confused my - wouldn't that be my version - "the squeaky wheel gets the oil", or does your squeaky wheel get cheese?

I was going off your version you posted

"The squeaky wheel does often get the cheese."
Thought you were talking about a mouse wheel and putting cheese in it with a mouse squeaking.

You then replied.

"Never heard of it with a mouse thrown in."

So I assumed you thought my mouse wheel was squeaking lmao.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought you were talking about a mouse wheel and putting cheese in it with a mouse squeaking.

You then replied.

So do we put cheese or oil on the mouse. Or the wheel

You then replied.

Just read back and saw my complete idiocy. Like a butcher in a China Shop. Mamma mia.

"The squeaky wheel gets the oil", is the saying. No mice involved or harmed in the making of this post.
Or "the Squeaky mouse gets the cheese."

Unless of course there is some cheese left over after feeding the mouse, in which case, a high fat cheese may make a good lubricant for squeaky wheels.

Has Rosebury been the fall guy from the debacle on Saturday yet?
Never again Rosebury, never, ever again.

i'm lying around the house today with a deeply felt need to complain about the umpiring. I know we have too many investigations of everyday problems these days, but surely reasonable people will see that we need an independent investigation of the relationship between joel selwood and the umpires. I cant see how a reasonable person would deny that is needed. A truly independent investigation. It's never too late. If, somewhere along the way, Joel has saved the life of an umpire's child and they have responded with a lifelong pledge of loyalty, then so be it. At least we'll understand the circumstances. As it is, I end up with this deep-seated knot in my stomach and a need to complain....
There is your problem. Lying around the house does anyone's head in. Get a lawnmower, preferably with a drink holder. If you don't have a lawn getbone of those plastic versions & set the mower up high. It helps with that frustration. Personally I am lying around a pool but respect you may not have that option.
It happened in cricket. Just saying.

There is your problem. Lying around the house does anyone's head in. Get a lawnmower, preferably with a drink holder. If you don't have a lawn getbone of those plastic versions & set the mower up high. It helps with that frustration. Personally I am lying around a pool but respect you may not have that option.

It happened in cricket. Just saying.

Lol Lawn mowed, hedges done and then Gym tonight before back on shift tomorrow night.

s**t thing is I'm a 6 shifts on and 3 days off roster pattern. So probably won't be fortunate enough to be able to see the game live. We only get a 48 hour shift notification so won't know till 2 days bfr the game.

Lol Lawn mowed, hedges done and then Gym tonight before back on shift tomorrow night.

s**t thing is I'm a 6 shifts on and 3 days off roster pattern. So probably won't be fortunate enough to be able to see the game live. We only get a 48 hour shift notification so won't know till 2 days bfr the game.
This is why you have a clear picture on the situation. I do question why you feel the need to punish your body but impressed. I assume given hedges you are not mining?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back