Opinion Ideal Finals Opponent

Who will we play against in Finals this year? (Assuming we make finals)

• Adelaide

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Collingwood

• Essendon

• Fremantle

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Geelong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GWS

• Hawthorn

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • North Melbourne

• Port Adelaide

• Richmond

• St Kilda

• West Coast

• Western Bulldogs

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Samiam_98

One Club Playa
Aug 27, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Note: I've only selected clubs which are still possible/likely to make finals this year.

Note: I've only selected clubs which are still likely to make finals this year.

Pretty strange for us to discuss given we probably won't play finals this year.

*Assuming we do make finals.

If we do make finals it means we've beaten Port GWS or Richmond away/ Geelong at home so I'd be pretty confident we could beat anyone on our day.

Realistically if we're in the 8 we've scraped in. Would probably prefer Freo Away as I don't rate Fremantle at all and think we'd pip them if given another chance at Optus.

If we do make finals it means we've beaten Port GWS or Richmond away/ Geelong at home so I'd be pretty confident we could beat anyone on our day.

Realistically if we're in the 8 we've scraped in. Would probably prefer Freo Away as I don't rate Fremantle at all and think we'd pip them if given another chance at Optus.
Would be nice to get redemption for round 10.

Imagine if we had to play Richmond again in the first week.

This isn’t a knee jerk reaction to yesterday but we aren’t ready IMO. Finals footy is another step up completely and god forbid we have to play away. I’m proud of their year so far but it’s glaring how dependent we are on too few as we were last year with Beams. I will gladly accept missing finals to see continued development and a bit of a wake up call to some players over the off-season. As much as I hate it but we are a young team and it’s those types that need to have a stern conversation in their meetings at the end of the year. It shouldn’t be looked at as a failure to miss finals but more to the realisation that the bar has been set higher and it’s time to meet that with even harder work during the off season.

If it’s away I don’t see us being much of a chance.

I can definitely see the Saints after our bye being similarly up and about as the Blues yesterday, they are a side who are very good when playing fast confident take it on footy, lose there and IMO we are next to no chance of finals this year.

We need to establish which players on our list are desperate and have that single minded desire to win flags enough to play at high intensity consistently and which are just happy enough with having an AFL career.

On if we make it, I'd love Collingwood at the G on a Friday night in front of 80,000 in an elimination final and we knock them out via a Lachie Neale goal after the siren.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to expect it after yesterday’s game. Honestly, it’s a pretty silly thread to make after what just transpired.

Is there some sort of new rule the AFL introduced that you can’t play finals if you lose to Carlton. I’m all for it but I must have missed the announcement.

Is there some sort of new rule the AFL introduced that you can’t play finals if you lose to Carlton. I’m all for it but I must have missed the announcement.
Do you honestly think we should be playing finals as we let a team who has now won 4 of their last 44 games and had their coach sacked a few days prior to the game run all over the top of us after kicking the first 6 goals.

This season has been an improvement yes, but yesterday was a deadset reality check. Everyone needs to keep a lid on us now, myself included. We just got way too far ahead of ourselves and will be lucky to make the finals now, games I had marked as a win are now complete 50/50’s at best, we don’t deserve to play the finals after that performance, it should not happen - maybe to a team who’s sitting around us, but not to the bottom placed club that has looked like they can’t get any lower.

Hope the boys are ******* embarrassed.

Do you honestly think we should be playing finals as we let a team who has now won 4 of their last 44 games and had their coach sacked a few days prior to the game run all over the top of us after kicking the first 6 goals.

This season has been an improvement yes, but yesterday was a deadset reality check. Everyone needs to keep a lid on us now, myself included. We just got way too far ahead of ourselves and will be lucky to make the finals now, games I had marked as a win are now complete 50/50’s at best, we don’t deserve to play the finals after that performance, it should not happen - maybe to a team who’s sitting around us, but not to the bottom placed club that has looked like they can’t get any lower.

Thankfully though this is an embarrassing and disappointing loss it is only 1 loss in a 23 round season, it doesn't count for more or less than other losses, as for not deserving to play finals, as Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven "Deserve doesn't come into it", if we win enough games we qualify and we still on track despite yesterday, according to the ladder.

Away wins are so valuable in this league though and it means we'll have to find another one against a tougher opponent later in the year!

Finally the truth about what happened to Essendon that year...

Thankfully though this is an embarrassing and disappointing loss it is only 1 loss in a 23 round season, it doesn't count for more or less than other losses, as for not deserving to play finals, as Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven "Deserve doesn't come into it", if we win enough games we qualify and we still on track despite yesterday, according to the ladder.

Away wins are so valuable in this league though and it means we'll have to find another one against a tougher opponent later in the year!
It’s basically an 8 point game considering 10 teams have beaten Carlton this year, unless they jump out of the blocks and win 5 of their next 11.

I think we should be playing finals if we end up in the top 8 after round 23 which I predict we will because I believe yesterday was not indicative of how we’ll play the rest of the season.

Saying we don’t deserve to play finals because of one extremely poor game is just completely irrational and dumb.

Looking at last years results West Coast lost to 3 teams that didn’t win finals and only beat Carlton by 10 points and they won the premiership.

I think we should be playing finals if we end up in the top 8 after round 23 which I predict we will because I believe yesterday was not indicative of how we’ll play the rest of the season.

Saying we don’t deserve to play finals because of one extremely poor game is just completely irrational and dumb.

Looking at last years results West Coast lost to 3 teams that didn’t win finals and only beat Carlton by 10 points and they won the premiership.
My major concern with us playing finals is seeing a Melbourne repeat. Look at how they have reacted this year.

We aren’t ready for that based on yesterday, any mention of finals or us being favourites and the team shatters.

Back