Ideas thread - keeping AFL afloat

Remove this Banner Ad

theRainbowGame

Team Captain
Jul 16, 2012
Seattle
AFL Club
Geelong
Right now at AFL headquarters every employee is looking at ways to save $$$. The idea of this thread is to highlight areas for the AFL to both save money in, and potentially open up new revenue streams. Football is at the heart of many local communities, and at a national level provides a weekend distraction from the ups and downs of life.

Here are some of my initial thoughts.

Saving Money:
- Cancel all website ads for 'Watch AFL'. I see these consistently. (Alternatively remarket them as a way to watch replays)

Making money:
- Televised games between players/teams in each state. I.e. (Victorian Metro vs. Country).
- 9's football televised (less players, cheaper grounds).
- Televised training drills explaining some key skills.
- Televised e-sports (AFL Live released soon I believe).

Other ideas (volunteering services):
- Leveraging club doctors in the public health care system
- Players to donate blood as needed (there is a critical need atm)

Last edited:
E sports, televising comps on Foxtel or WatchAFL. May not engage the older supporters like myself but may keep the kids, the future, attached.

Get The Bont, or whoever playing against the public.. May not make money but could possibly keep the Yoof connected.

Spending money is going to get tight for many, keeping fans engaged could be just as important.

The AFL is going to have to do what every other commercial enterprise will be considering. People are by far and away their biggest expense. They are going to have to lay off most staff (in clubland too), probably most players where they can do so contractually) and shut down all disctreionary spending.

The AFL is not coming back to what it was pre- COVID, at least not for the next 10 years. After this is over, comes the big payback and there is going to be no money anywhere.

The only good thing to come out of this is this hopefully is the end of the gambling houses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back