Remove this Banner Ad

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Most have been identified but anyway:

1. The ruck in the first half of the season. Yes, a fit and firing Naitanui makes a huge difference but before then we're facing probably half a season without him. Vardy and Lycett excelled as a duo and we need the same from Vardy and whichever of the replacements gets up.

2. Replacing Le Cras - may not have had his greatest season but reliable and worked as part of a cohesive forward line. We need that danger player that others can't afford to ignore. May be Ah Chee or Venables stepping up.

3. In that same vein, Waterman coming on and playing more consistently like he did in the first 6-7 games of the season. Hard running, tall, extra option going forward.

4. A fired up Gaff, ready to atone.

5. Someone to attract the tag away from Shuey a la the Grand Final, though given that experience can't see many teams making that mistake again. Alternatively, someone to do the Rowan Jones blocking role.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
3 factors apart from a fully fit list and returning NicNat

1. Friends Family and Flags
All plural so if the culture and the leadership prevail then it’s the cornerstone to putting the s at the end of flags

2. WAFL Eagles demonstrating the same spirit and implementing the same game plan meaning there is legitimate pressure for places with confidence in the next 22 and the Match Committee taking action when a player is not delivering

3. Performance above reputation to be the mantra. Examples: Sheed gets a gig because he is deserving it not because he kicked the winning goal in the GF. Ryan does not get a game until his fitness level are back to desired level. Hickey knows he may be new but the number 1 ruck role is given to the best performing ruckman. Patchy performances means a stint in the WAFL.

So all of these are mental issues. We have the list. We have the culture. The above 3 will ensure we stay hungry and do not wallow is s premiership hangover

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Is Dom Sheed becoming your premiere onballer now?

He should've won the Norm Smith.

I've been backing him with these silly odds for the Brownlow win, top3, top5, top 10 finishes.

What do people think - does he have a shot for the Brownlow this season?

2018 GF + JLT1 + JLT2 form is red hot.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont

I've been backing him with these silly odds for the Brownlow win, top3, top5, top 10 finishes.

Shuey was so far the Norm Smith winner it wasn’t a close call.

Yes Sheed is winning a load of the pill but his d/e has been low, around the 50% mark. I am hoping he takes the next step and improves his composure and therefore improve his accuracy. If he can do that, then it is back to his Larke Medalist form. A proven vote winner but there again umpires don’t vote in the U18 carnival

Eaglespur

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I think the most obvious would be getting Darling and Kennedy on the park together would it not? We are so much more delicious and dangerous when they are both playing

Aug 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
1. Naitanui’s return
Whether he can come back and still be a premier ruck-man and be fit and firing for finals will be huge.

2. The game plan
As far as I’m concerned simmo won us that premiership, the question is with a few rule changes etc will our intercept marking and kicking game still be relevant in 2019? If so we can go back to back.

3. The big forwards
Kennedy and JD need to stay fit

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Internally, where does the improvement come from?

My money is on Rioli, Sheed and Barrass.

Oscar Allen, Yeo (as a pure midfielder), Ryan (can take game to next level), as can Duggan and Cole.

Watson to add a point of difference too whenever he gets into the team.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
Setting aside the s**t sandwiches of injury, what will be the single biggest factor in us improving or at least holding our ground and contending again in 2019?

Having a reasonably fit list is a given - I'm thinking more from a personnel/tactical point of view here. For example, if I had to look at 2018, I'd say the single biggest factor was finally getting the balance right in the midfield, as evidenced by a greater spread of contested possession. I think we had four guys going at more than 10 per game, along with someone like Gaff going from totally outside to adding a contested facet to his game. That was huge. It meant we were no longer so dependent on a turnover game. And if you really boil it down, that was overwhelmingly about Redden and Yeo stepping up and becoming big-bodied engine room mids. First and second in the B&F accordingly. That was the big improvement, complemented by some guys who hadn't played a lot of senior football or were fringe players 12 months ago. And of course the very solid standard from the senior, established guys. But Yeo and Redden were the big changes, IMO. They played those roles in a way that changed the way the team could play.

For 2019, here are some options:
  • Getting Naitanui back in June/July and getting some half-decent level of matchplay into him
  • Some of the guys who haven't yet played 80 games taking the next step and becoming top-liners (Sheed, Duggan, Barrass, Cole, Rioli etc)
  • Is it finding another goalkicker?
  • Does it rely on getting a certain standard of contribution from Hickey/Vardy?
  • Or is there a kid who comes from nowhere to be influential? One of the Allens or Brayshaw? Or Venables breaking out?
  • Or is there a single player already there who goes to the next level? I reckon Rioli to the midfield could be one
Thoughts?

I think for me is how well the East Coast teams have or will have improved by playing a second season at our new Perth stadium. I think West Coast and Freo had big advantages last year playing there (as so it should be ).

If you get a 55,000+ crowd there for an Eagles game, its their 19th man on the field.

The question will be have the East Coast teams figured a way out to play on our backyard? And if so, can they deal with 55,000 + fans baying for their blood for 3 hours? I live on the East Coast but I dont think any of their sports team are as passionate as the Eagles fans.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Internally, where does the improvement come from?
My money is on Rioli, Sheed and Barrass.
Yes, Sheed, Rioli and Barrass have arrived! Rioli, of course, could still go gangbusters.

But I think Redden can improve more, just nudge up to a sub-par Yeo, Gaff and Shuey?
Certainly Ryan, Duggan, Cole and Venables look to improve this season.
Darling might be the consistent beast he's threatened to be..
Waterman is tipped to come on strong this season.
Then you have the usual suspects of O.Allen, Brander, Watson and Petrol.(the next gen.)
The mystery box goes to Smith, Cameron, Nelson...and 'where is AhChee?'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
I think for me is how well the East Coast teams have or will have improved by playing a second season at our new Perth stadium. I think West Coast and Freo had big advantages last year playing there (as so it should be ).

If you get a 55,000+ crowd there for an Eagles game, its their 19th man on the field.

The question will be have the East Coast teams figured a way out to play on our backyard? And if so, can they deal with 55,000 + fans baying for their blood for 3 hours? I live on the East Coast but I dont think any of their sports team are as passionate as the Eagles fans.
Melbourne are the only team to have been to Optus a second time and look at the level of improvement they discovered in the Prelim?

1552553081498.png

I think the opposite will occur with West Coast using the oval and "friendly" atmosphere to advantage.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
Make no mistake a GWS, Gold Coast, Brisbane Lions , poorly supported Victorian team, will always be at a slight disadvantage playing with less fans barracking for them or when they need that energy push from the crowd.

I watched the Juventus v Atletico Madrid champions league match this week, and the way players especially Ronaldo, encouraged and tried to garner the supporters to lift when that team needed, was what got them over the line. A big crowd lifts players as fans and players feed off each other. (PS I don't classify Grand Finals, big Vicrotian Derbies, ANZAC day games as games where there is 'significant crowd advantage') Still, it will take a good side on a good day to beat West Coast on their home deck. Essendon, Sydney and Melbourne were able to do it last season, which goes to show that if your off your game against any average to top side on your day , you will lose. I just feel for those 'big games' , all the games where there is more at stake, its a massive advantage the Coasters have. Dare I say I reckon any final West Coast get on their home deck, its a 5 goal advantage straight up.

Teams like Eagles, Crows, Power and lesser extent the Swans have big advantages where they play interstate opposition on their home deck.

Last edited:

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Make no mistake a GWS, Gold Coast, Brisbane Lions , poorly supported Victorian team, will always be at a slight disadvantage playing with less fans barracking for them or when they need that energy push from the crowd.

I watched the Juventus v Atletico Madrid champions league match this week, and the way players especially Ronaldo, encouraged and tried to garner the supporters to lift when that team needed, was what got them over the line. A big crowd lifts players as fans and players feed off each other. (PS I don't classify Grand Finals, big Vicrotian Derbies, ANZAC day games as games where there is 'significant crowd advantage') Still, it will take a good side on a good day to beat West Coast on their home deck. Essendon, Sydney and Melbourne were able to do it last season, which goes to show that if your off your game against any average to top side on your day , you will lose. I just feel for those 'big games' , all the games where there is more at stake, its a massive advantage the Coasters have. Dare I say I reckon any final West Coast get on their home deck, its a 5 goal advantage straight up.

Teams like Eagles, Crows, Power and lesser extent the Swans have big advantages where they play interstate opposition on their home deck.
Well, I'm good with all of that.
West Coast, as the 2nd interstate team to arrive (the 1st from the other side of the continent) had to overcome a whole range of disadvantages playing interstate back in the late 80's onwards. We had an advantage in that we were really a state team to begin with and never lost that impetus even with Freo's arrival. Same could be said for Crows and Sydney to a lesser degree (Rugby city) It's taken 35 yrs approx to evolve into a new stadium, with matching crowd, an MCG size training field and to iron out a lot of the travel problems, and it's still not a level playing field, probably never will be!
So we take what advantages we can and for those teams still disadvantaged, they need to play catch up footy and evolve as a club, as we had to.(GWS or GCS in 30 years anyone?). Still need to drop the poorer Vic clubs and evolve into a truly national code, less Vic-centric..good luck with that?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le

No

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Josh Kennedy

We dont appreciate enough how good this guy is

He draws the best defender is often double teamed

We must preserve his body thru a long season

Josh Kennedy

We dont appreciate enough how good this guy is

He draws the best defender is often double teamed

We must preserve his body thru a long season
I think you are right. Josh is an amazing footballer that we take for granted in a lot of ways. Even when he isn't kicking a bag his run, pressure work and the way he pulls around opposition defences has a big bearing on our forward play.

I love Suma but I think if Josh can bag another premiership he will have to be recognised as the best Full Forward in West Coasts history

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The main thing in going back to back, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it's about outscoring other teams. We must outscore teams in September if we're to have any chance of premiership success :think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think:

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
I think you are right. Josh is an amazing footballer that we take for granted in a lot of ways. Even when he isn't kicking a bag his run, pressure work and the way he pulls around opposition defences has a big bearing on our forward play.

I love Suma but I think if Josh can bag another premiership he will have to be recognised as the best Full Forward in West Coasts history

I agree and disagree

Suma had very high goal average per game ...however he played in an era where 100 gaps was common and the game didn’t have players flooding back

Kennedy would have kicked 100 in that era easily .....with his eyes closed

Kennedy is our best full forward and if we named an all eagles side now ...he would be my first pick

This guy is a bloody freak ...we need to manage him well...yes Allen is the rage but he’s a long way of being a full time replacement ....I think darling steps up well when Kennedy isn’t in

Kennedy is signed for 2020 ?...did I read that somewhere a while back? ...

Kennedy is a beast of a player and most irreplaceable player ....14-0 when Kennedy and jd play in last 14 games

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I agree and disagree

Suma had very high goal average per game ...however he played in an era where 100 gaps was common and the game didn’t have players flooding back

Kennedy would have kicked 100 in that era easily .....with his eyes closed

Kennedy is our best full forward and if we named an all eagles side now ...he would be my first pick

This guy is a bloody freak ...we need to manage him well...yes Allen is the rage but he’s a long way of being a full time replacement ....I think darling steps up well when Kennedy isn’t in

Kennedy is signed for 2020 ?...did I read that somewhere a while back? ...

Kennedy is a beast of a player and most irreplaceable player ....14-0 when Kennedy and jd play in last 14 games
Yep Hurn and Kennedy both on for 2020

Brolga

Grumpy Old Git
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Well, I'm good with all of that.
West Coast, as the 2nd interstate team to arrive (the 1st from the other side of the continent) had to overcome a whole range of disadvantages playing interstate back in the late 80's onwards. We had an advantage in that we were really a state team to begin with and never lost that impetus even with Freo's arrival. Same could be said for Crows and Sydney to a lesser degree (Rugby city) It's taken 35 yrs approx to evolve into a new stadium, with matching crowd, an MCG size training field and to iron out a lot of the travel problems, and it's still not a level playing field, probably never will be!
So we take what advantages we can and for those teams still disadvantaged, they need to play catch up footy and evolve as a club, as we had to.(GWS or GCS in 30 years anyone?). Still need to drop the poorer Vic clubs and evolve into a truly national code, less Vic-centric..good luck with that?

Please do not repeat popular misconceptions such as “ we were really a state team to begin with “.
There have been several excellent threads on the obstacles put in the way of the Eagles when they joined the VFL, please read them or Geoff Christian’s well written book on the Eagles first 10 years.
You may be surprised at how much the early Eagles teams had to overcome just to compete.

donpyke92

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Kennedy is our barometer
Maybe not our barometer Dave, but don't think we would've won the GF without him, for sure.:thumbsu:
One good thing about the side, at the moment, is that it's hard to put a name to a barometer.
Players just seem to step up. Still, agree, Kennedy integral, hope he keeps going because he is irreplaceable.
He said that Oscar & Brander will force him into retirement at some stage, (rates them both very highly),..great place for the club to be in.
Gee, it'll be a sad day when the big fella calls it quits, though:'(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back