Tasmania If 2 of Tassie's oldest clubs, North Hobart and Clarence Roos, combine you get.... North Kangaroos, Blue and White with Red Kangaroo Logo

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clarence Football Club Kangaroos, originally called Bellerive Football Club formed 1884, renamed 1947. 15 Premierships . Multiple William Leitch Medallists.
Record attendance for Tassie Footy 25,000 TFL Grand Final 1979 when the beat Glenorchy 1979 at North Hobart Oval. Most Famous Player, Royce Hart.

North Hobart Football Club , founded 1881, Originally Red and Blue stripes and called the Robins. Became the Demons sometime in the 1970's. Changed the jumper to Melbourne design. Tasmania's most successful Australian Rules Club. 28 Premierships, second only to Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club. Also Multiple William Leitch Medallists. Most Famous player's Roy Cazaly . 1969 TFL Grand Final 20,000 attendance beating Clarence at North Hobart Oval.

Love Footy history...... Real Clubs ... with Real History...are better Clubs.

Why not just have Hobart United FC, let them start in Div2, and keep North in Melbourne, and let them compete at the level which they deserve and are sustainable, which may also be in Div2.. Win/Win for everyone, and we dont have to have another Fitzroy situation.

Why not just have Hobart United FC, let them start in Div2, and keep North in Melbourne, and let them compete at the level which they deserve and are sustainable, which may also be in Div2.. Win/Win for everyone, and we dont have to have another Fitzroy situation.
I wouldn't mind something like this. 12 teams in division 1, 22 rounds; everyone plays each other twice, second McIntyre final six system. Promote two teams, relegate two teams, and have third last from the top division play off against third from the next division in a best of three playoff series that could coincide with the top league's finals series.

Yeh , But jut trying to look at the possibilities of the "Joint Venture" in the Carter Report......clearly the one that the AFL favours and the one that a number of clubs prefer. So my point is to get genuine, bonafide Tassie clubs a piece of the action. I realise they obviously have minimal resources etc...but with AFL backing and better branding North Kangaroos ( Joint Venture) could validate it has core Hobart and North Melbourne connection.

So Tassie footy people aren't capable of running an AFL Club ?

Most initial management would be from the AFL one would expect.

Just like player development, it'll take time to recruit locals who could do the footy related stuff.

People currently in other businesses may like to apply for jobs in any new organisation.

Its all uncertain now the AFL have suddenly moved the goal posts again.

To be expected from the back stabbers.

Volunteers are important but dont run AFL clubs.

I think you know that.

I hope you do..
To my knowledge most , if not all, AFL Club Presidents and Board Members are in honorary positions. They volunteer to put themselves up for election. Obviously they have an income but it is independent of the club. They call the shots as to who the club employs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally think the Tassie franchise should be a defacto state team ala Crows to get that united support from 500k+ people.

Hello! As many of us have said, for years, thats the whole point.

One team, two home grounds, social unity, opportunity for supporters to see games close to home, opportunity for players, regrow the game that's been left to rot for decades.

Hello! As many of us have said, for years, thats the whole point.

One team, two home grounds, social unity, opportunity for supporters to see games close to home, opportunity for players, regrow the game that's been left to rot for decades.

I’d go as far as saying 90% of Tassie footy supporters realise that’s the case. It can’t be called Hobart, needs to be called Tasmania and wearing state colours. The earlier suggestion about a Clarence-North Hobart merger is exactly what wouldn’t work in this state. There are plenty of other clubs in Southern Tas who despise those two and it provides no representation for the North of the state, thus excluding about 80+% of the state before you even start. Everyone already follows current AFL clubs so getting the identity of this new club right is really important.

I’d go as far as saying 90% of Tassie footy supporters realise that’s the case. It can’t be called Hobart, needs to be called Tasmania and wearing state colours. The earlier suggestion about a Clarence-North Hobart merger is exactly what wouldn’t work in this state. There are plenty of other clubs in Southern Tas who despise those two and it provides no representation for the North of the state, thus excluding about 80+% of the state before you even start. Everyone already follows current AFL clubs so getting the identity of this new club right is really important.

Making a team out of local clubs would be silly. It would have no appeal.

Tassie Devils in Green will do me. It doesn't need to be a State jumper Knock off. Green & Black, Green & white will do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back