If 7 straight games at the MCG leading into finals is an advantage....

Remove this Banner Ad

Living out of a hotel room for 110 days isn't traveling?

Damn, I must of swindled my old employer out of a lot of per diems...

No, not its not. If Richmond players went back to Melbourne each week, then its travelling. Staying in the same place for 110 days= not travelling.

How can you confuse travel expenses with travelling? Is this like a blinding inferiority complex about people questioning the 2020 flag? Its just as valid as any other flag, its okay. Easily your most hard fought flag, Kudos.

Then what do you call it when a team has to play 16 games straight on the road to win the premiership?

I’d call it damn impressive. And it’s certainly silenced a lot of the detractors that used that weak argument last year.

Richmond won 13 games outside their home state this year. Has that ever been bettered? I very much doubt it. Possibly the greatest travelling side of all time
all true, oppo will call you a troll, truth hurts eagles fans

No, not its not. If Richmond players went back to Melbourne each week, then its travelling. Staying in the same place for 110 days= not travelling.

How can you confuse travel expenses with travelling? Is this like a blinding inferiority complex about people questioning the 2020 flag? Its just as valid as any other flag, its okay. Easily your most hard fought flag, Kudos.

No, the travel expenses is a comment using my past experiences as an example.

Flight, 53 days, flight, 34 days...So I only took 2 flights, you say that's not travel?

Call it what you will, but it's certainly not the same as living out of your own home, sleeping in your own bed, cooking your own meals, etc. and it absolutely takes a toll on you.

I'll note that where ever possible, travelling football teams fly home immediately just so the players CAN sleep in their own beds (etc). Shows what they generally consider to be important.

Then what do you call it when a team has to play 16 games straight on the road to win the premiership?

I’d call it damn impressive. And it’s certainly silenced a lot of the detractors that used that weak argument last year.

Richmond won 13 games outside their home state this year. Has that ever been bettered? I very much doubt it. Possibly the greatest travelling side of all time
We've been the best team in the comp since 2017. Just enjoy it :D

No one, was referring to the OP, these threads aren't needed, just enjoy the good times while they last.

Your a balanced poster - enjoy reading what you say -

However got a question for you - how many flags do you reckon Rich can win ?

Like you should have 4 flags - but my view is looking at the competition ( pretty ordinary ) that you can get 5 flags in this era

I know things can change - however looking at all the contenders - they are all suspect - they have all got weaknesses - would you want your life riding on any of them - no way - not for me

I think Reiwoldt is important - he has slowed down a bit ( none of the others have in my opinion ) - but if he can hang in their and play another 2 years at a decent standard then all very good - and i think thats important

So my view is you will get 5 .

Your a balanced poster - enjoy reading what you say -

However got a question for you - how many flags do you reckon Rich can win ?

Like you should have 4 flags - but my view is looking at the competition ( pretty ordinary ) that you can get 5 flags in this era

I know things can change - however looking at all the contenders - they are all suspect - they have all got weaknesses - would you want your life riding on any of them - no way - not for me

I think Reiwoldt is important - he has slowed down a bit ( none of the others have in my opinion ) - but if he can hang in their and play another 2 years at a decent standard then all very good - and i think thats important

So my view is you will get 5 .
5? I'd be thrilled but I dont see it.

I've always said that this Richmond list 2021 and maybe 2022 at a stretch we can contend, beyond then I think we need some sort of refresh/rebuild as guys like Astbury, Cotchin, Grimes, Martin, Edwards, Riewoldt, Houli, etc will be well in their twilight. Several will be retiring. There will be some sort of decline that probably takes us out of contention to a finals side but not premiers.

So effectively, I give us 2 more years to contend, but that doesn't mean winning. Could just as easily drop a final. I think if everything went right this group could win 1 more. If we somehow won the next 2 we are in GOAT team territory. Very unlikely.

Wouldnt suprise to see us drop off a little and be a PF side the next 2 years, as other sides improve. Sooner or later the next winning gameplan will come along or we will be worked out.

Its why I am so keen for us to trade out picks and bring in established players. Strike while the iron is hot and try and drip out every bit of success from this group. There are not many Dusty Martin's on the horizon so we need to capitalise while we have some of the clubs great players on the list that will have long legacies in the game.

In fairness, the club has capitalised so they've done their job. Genuinely, I think we could have very easily won 4, were it not for the 2018 balls up in the PF and Collingwood playing a monster game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, the travel expenses is a comment using my past experiences as an example.

Flight, 53 days, flight, 34 days...So I only took 2 flights, you say that's not travel?

Call it what you will, but it's certainly not the same as living out of your own home, sleeping in your own bed, cooking your own meals, etc. and it absolutely takes a toll on you.

I'll note that where ever possible, travelling football teams fly home immediately just so the players CAN sleep in their own beds (etc). Shows what they generally consider to be important.

So what are you saying? That having to to pack and travel every 2nd week is a big deal, or " The point is that the Weagles fan's eternal whinge about having to travel isn't nearly as big a deal as they make it out to be. "

I was impressed by Richmond's win, but not for the reasons you put forward. Had to win a Grand Final on a ground that was not your home deck - oh the hardship!

Richmond won because they're the best team in the competition. It's amazing how that gets over-looked while everyone carries on about travel.

It’s a bit like Hawthorn in 2015. Once you lose a QF and then win three straight, including genuine interstate finals wins, all the excuses opposition fans look for vanish. And they were a man down, as well as being nearly four goals down.

They’re the best. Simple as that. They performed when it mattered.

So what are you saying? That having to to pack and travel every 2nd week is a big deal, or " The point is that the Weagles fan's eternal whinge about having to travel isn't nearly as big a deal as they make it out to be. "

My point was that 110 days on the road is at least equivalent to any travel load out there and neither is enough to stop the best team from winning.

My point was that 110 days on the road is at least equivalent to any travel load out there and neither is enough to stop the best team from winning.

Agree that the best team won, and overcame bona-fide advantage enjoyed by Brisbane and Port Adelaide

Do not agree that extended duration "on the road" was a particular disadvantage - everyone (save Brisbane & PA) had to endure roughly equivalent

Also do not agree that it is equivalent of any travel load during a regular season, where some clubs spend every second week traveling and some spend vastly less.

I was impressed by Richmond's win, but not for the reasons you put forward. Had to win a Grand Final on a ground that was not your home deck - oh the hardship!

Don't forget those 3 games they played 'on the road' at Metricon in a row!

fu** me, someone who gets it. Imagine trying to argue playing games 400m away from your 5 star resort where your family resides in front of 2000 neutral supporters is the same as flying across the country every fortnight.

yeah...imagine not getting that travelling is the act of you know...actually travelling...spending an hour or two at the airport before getting on a plane for 4-6 hours, then spending a couple of hours getting out of an airport and into a hotel. playing a gruelling game of football and then having to spend another day getting home.

Yeah, congrats Richmond, you won the flag, you were the best team this year and while hub-life or whatever other lame-as-* name you want to give it would have sucked, living in a hotel for 4 months straight is not the same as actually TRAVELLING

Remove this Banner Ad

Back