If 7 straight games at the MCG leading into finals is an advantage....

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
Then what do you call it when a team has to play 16 games straight on the road to win the premiership?

I’d call it damn impressive. And it’s certainly silenced a lot of the detractors that used that weak argument last year.

Richmond won 13 games outside their home state this year. Has that ever been bettered? I very much doubt it. Possibly the greatest travelling side of all time

Not really travelling when first 5 games were in Victoria, then once in the South East Queensland hub 8 games in South East Queensland

13 of 17 home and away games didn’t have to travel to

Then what do you call it when a team has to play 16 games straight on the road to win the premiership?

I’d call it damn impressive. And it’s certainly silenced a lot of the detractors that used that weak argument last year.

Richmond won 13 games outside their home state this year. Has that ever been bettered? I very much doubt it. Possibly the greatest travelling side of all time
Their GF opponent did the same thing though

davos44

Club Legend
May 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Redbacks, Adel United

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "travelling".

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can you mob seriously not go a week without needing to start another thread to validate your belief in how great you are? Bath water must taste pretty good hey?

I particularly noticed how great it was when you beat Freo ‘on the road’ at Metricon... how many other of those games were against fellow travelling teams?

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
If West Coast had jagged the flag in 1990 it would have been the best travelling performance bar none

Round 21 - played Bris in Qld at Carrara

Round 22 played Geel at Kardinia Park

Finished 3rd in a final five

1st week of finals - drew with Coll at Waverley

2nd week of finals - replay of Coll game at Waverly which they lost

3rd week of finals defeated Melb at Waverley

4th week of finals - lost to Ess in PF at Waverley

I know Eagles supporters these days whinge a bit - but back then they had a right to whinge .

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Their GF opponent did the same thing though
And the teams that got their home games as usual but still weren't up to scratch when it really mattered? They should collectively be given some type of wooden spoon or dunce's hats.

The grand final was a week ago, nobody cares now.
And 25 years ago? You know, Carlton's last flag...

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "travelling".

Living out of a hotel room for 110 days isn't traveling?

Damn, I must of swindled my old employer out of a lot of per diems...

No but they had to do the same thing to get there, or does that not matter in this narrative?

The point is that the Weagles fan's eternal whinge about having to travel isn't nearly as big a deal as they make it out to be.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Great thread. Anywhere. Anytime.

To be fair, we haven't seen the usual chorus putting down this premiership as somehow tainted.

Tigers didn't go to Perth but had to go to NT, easier opponents but more sapping conditions up there. Went to Syd once, to Adelaide twice, did get 3 out of 4 games at Metricon coming into finals.

If we had the Hawks draw, we don't finish top 4, I accept that.

Best flag of all time and we were near the bottom of the free kick list.

Can you mob seriously not go a week without needing to start another thread to validate your belief in how great you are? Bath water must taste pretty good hey?

I particularly noticed how great it was when you beat Freo ‘on the road’ at Metricon... how many other of those games were against fellow travelling teams?

Bath water is only drunk when a team falls at the last hurdle after being favourites.

We drinking the finest of wines and eating olives from vines while served cheese and crackers by supermodels fine.

Sorry Dees,we out plattered yous.

Last edited:

Tibbedy

Debutant
May 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

No it hasn't

Blues90

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
And the teams that got their home games as usual but still weren't up to scratch when it really mattered? They should collectively be given some type of wooden spoon or dunce's hats.

And 25 years ago? You know, Carlton's last flag...
Took you 40 years to in how many flags we won just in the 80s 4 great seasons in 40 years

Back