If an umpire accidentally blows his whistle...

Remove this Banner Ad

inbetween

All Australian
Aug 14, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Vikings
What's the protocol? What course of action do they normally take? Ive never seen an ump say 'my mistake play on' or 'my mistake, ball up.'
And im sure they've prematurely blown the whistle before (ie for marks).

I ask this because I saw one a terrible decision last night when Jordan De Goey was pinged HTB in a marking contest against Mcgovern. I couldny grasp why it was called and there seemed to be no real justifiable reason. The whistle came instantly perhaps half a second after De Goey touched the ball.

So i thought did the ump just get whistle happy and then proceed to just invent a call? I've certainly seen it happen before; where an ump blows a whistle anticipating something to happen only for it to not happen and then be forced to call something else.

Is that what they're instructed to do? If so; should it be changed?

I have often fantasized about certain umpires swallowing their whistles. The protocol would then be to let them suffer for a few moments before dragging them to the sidelines.

What's the protocol? What course of action do they normally take? Ive never seen an ump say 'my mistake play on' or 'my mistake, ball up.'
And im sure they've prematurely blown the whistle before (ie for marks).

I ask this because I saw one a terrible decision last night when Jordan De Goey was pinged HTB in a marking contest against Mcgovern. I couldny grasp why it was called and there seemed to be no real justifiable reason. The whistle came instantly perhaps half a second after De Goey touched the ball.

So i thought did the ump just get whistle happy and then proceed to just invent a call? I've certainly seen it happen before; where an ump blows a whistle anticipating something to happen only for it to not happen and then be forced to call something else.

Is that what they're instructed to do? If so; should it be changed?

There's been many times the umpire blows the whistle assuming the mark would be taken only for the player to drop it or touch the ground. The result after isn't consistent either, but usually yells play on. Only for the crowd to be annoyed.

Afl umpires get every decision right every time without question. Have you never heard the carry on from them after the whistle is blown? Only one instance of premature blowing and that was razor ray at he Adelaide oval

I personally scream at the top of my lungs play on immediately if i've prematurely called a dropped Chest Mark that slipped through their elbows into their lap and onto the floor. Idgaf if 'you already called the mark', it's obviously not a mark and it's the correct thing to address that.

As for everything else? You have to sell it, and just carry on all the way through. Most of the time, if you've screwed a call, they know, you know, players know and crowd knows. But you've just got to maintain composure.

Imagine the shitshow if an ump went 'yeah nah you're right I got it wrong' what exactly is meant to happen there? You call the ball back and ball it up? That players wouldn't constantly argue anything and everything because the limp umpire got strong armed into changing his mind? If an ump screws a call, they reflect and should take steps to ensure it doesn't happen for the rest of the game. But heck no to changing a call, if you blow that whistle then you own it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back