Science/Environment If augmentations could theoretically save us from AI...

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Then could it not also solve our shortage of skilled workers? The Department of Employment publishes federal and state reports of skilled worker shortage lists. In theory, you could use augmented helmets or chips to upgrade unemployed humans to fill in the gaps. This is a long way off from happening, possibly 50 years from now, but surely when the option becomes available someone of influence is going to suggest this idea, right?

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Someone else is a fan of the game series Deus Ex, I see. It could work for sure, but then we might well have a new class of human, 'natural' on 'aug' violence and vice versa(life) when they defend themselves.

Technically anyone with a bionic ear or a pacemaker is an augmented human to some degree, so I think the advance is inevitable.

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
cyberman3.jpg

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Augmentations would just become more AI since the organic parts would be dead weight when competing with fully AI systems.

I don't mind AI winning. They have a lot more scope for improvement and in figuring out the universe than we do. Hopefully they allow us to tag along for the ride.

Back