Analysis If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest player of all time?

If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest pla

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean given Geelong won a handful of finals by 31 to 40 points I don't think it's a major issue. Less than 2 goals being a thriller, 2 to 5 goals being competitive but not a nailbiter, and anything beyond that being comfortable seems fairly in line with what most people would think. I'd call the Hawthorn '11 QF comfortable in the same way the '20 GF was. Would you say a final margin has to be 10 goals plus to be considered comfortable? So the '17 grand final was competitive?

So what was the 10-goal + breakdown?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lol percentages are not an indication of who is the best side, and percentages are over an entire season against a full 22 game sample,you didn’t even have the best percentage on the ladder In 2019 anyway and GWS only had 115.

You have some very stupid views. Meteoric rise and the others actually know they are trolling, but I think you actually believe this stuff.

I feel like with you it’s trying to explain common sense to an 11 year old.

I will try again… i will use two current teams to help illustrate it for you

It would be harder for Richmond to beat collingwood by 3 goals than it would be for them to beat north Melbourne by 80 points. Richmond could play the same way they did against north to win by 80 and still lose to collingwood…

I am not sure how much more simplistically I can put it for you

Dunno maybe not. We won’t do either. I mean we did only lose to pies by 14 points.

My whole point is margins matter when comparing teams in any scenario. You aren’t doing that.

Dunno maybe not. We won’t do either. I mean we did only lose to pies by 14 points.

My whole point is margins matter when comparing teams in any scenario. You aren’t doing that.
It matters but not in the way you say it does. You can only play who is infront of you and if you are significantly better it will be a big win or a blowout especially if the other side becomes crushed and defeated at some point and throws in the towel.

It is largely opportunistic and Richmond didn’t have the opportunity to knock off a big heavyweight grand finalist.. and in fairness either did geelong in 2022… Sydney were only marginally better than what I would claim GWS were.

Luckily that geelong side got to face off against two heavy weights in 09/11 and took down Goliath both times… this is not very common you see two titans play off like this. Very rare occurrence when you brush through the books, and it was very unfortunate timing for saints.

Give me the opportunity to take down a top side any day, as compared to walking over and bullying the easy beats.

We did it in 07 by a record 119 point margin, but easily 09 was the wrestlemania main event

Come on Mods time to shut this thread down or move it to the Bay it's been derailed many times and Dusty has been left behind a dozen stations ago. With bugger all hope of the train going back to pick him up. How we got to the point of talking about percentage I have no idea. Anyway great thread Aristotle Pickett you have brought out the weird and wonderful trolls in this one bet you didn't think it would blow up like this. The votes are in and no matter how hard the Tigger fans deny it the results come up with a big NO.

Come on Mods time to shut this thread down or move it to the Bay it's been derailed many times and Dusty has been left behind a dozen stations ago. With bugger all hope of the train going back to pick him up. How we got to the point of talking about percentage I have no idea. Anyway great thread Aristotle Pickett you have brought out the weird and wonderful trolls in this one bet you didn't think it would blow up like this. The votes are in and no matter how hard the Tigger fans deny it the results come up with a big NO.
Thread is legit and popular. It does not belong in the Bay.
Many good judges like Leigh Mathews rate Martin extremely highly.

Thread is legit and popular. It does not belong in the Bay.
Many good judges like Leigh Mathews rate Martin extremely highly.
On the thread it started out as a road trip from Melbourne to Adelaide. But somewhere along the way has got sidetracked around Bordertown and ended up in Perth via Brisbane, Darwin and Broome. With the ship its boarded about to head off to South America and nobody knows where they left Dusty

If Isaac Smith went on to win the next 3 normsmiths medals …. Where would he sit in AFL history?

If Isaac Smith went on to win the next 3 normsmiths medals …. Where would he sit in AFL history?

Probably not top 6000 for them lol

But I’m sure some will froth at the mouth and say he’s a better finals player than Dusty.

Spread over a staggering 28 finals and a 14 year range (compared to 16 finals over 10 years for Martin), Steve Johnson's combined goals/assists in finals was 2.2 per game to go with 19.8 disposals. Alongside Chapman's 2.2 combined goals/assists and 19.0 disposals.

Geelong simply had two elite players playing the role, one on each flank. Replace one with Martin and you probably get a marginally better output but nothing mind blowing. Give that Richmond side peak Johnson or Chapman and instead of Martin, or both for Martin and any B grader, and they probably have a similar set of finals results.

Martin is in a closer league to these types of players than someone like Matthews or Carey.

Mods won’t shut this down … the revenue created from this thread alone has paid for Chiefs 7th and 8th investment property

Continue here

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back