Analysis If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest player of all time?

If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest pla

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be a compelling case I would have thought.
He went to another level in the 2020 GF.

Not a snowflakes chance of that happening with the aging state of Richmond's best players and the probable notion that Dusty is cooked.

Classic Big Footy thread.

OP deprived of attention about his favourite player so proposes hypothetical to get said player 'back on the board' ..... and then argues with any dissenting opinion.

The Shai Bolton thread went strangely quiet after his 10 disposal, 5 clanger effort in the EF so they had to go back to trying to argue Dusty is the GOAT.

He should only have 1 Norm Smith medal, incompetent judges just voting for the star player
There are multiple good players in regular seasons who win Brownlow medals as close calls. TO say Martin did not deserve to win those Norm Smith medals is a joke. You could say other players were close to him on the day but to say he should not have won is laughable. His damage with the ball in those matches is tremendous.

No!

Isaac Smith > Bob Skilton

Richmond fans have found a way to have someone as good as Martin justifiably classed as overrated.

Dusty over GAJ.

Be Good Series 11 GIF by Doctor Who
Richmond fans?

Footy icon Leigh Matthews says only one player can be compared to him without it being an insult and that's Richmond Grand Final hero Dustin Martin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only time Judd came up against Martin in a semi final- Judd not only smashed Martin but also the other 21 Richmond players ....but lets not let facts get int eh way of a good Richmunt tug fest.
Ok, so Leigh Marhews says Martin is the only player that compares to him. So if he wins a 4th Norm Smith where do you rank him?

Richmond fans?

Footy icon Leigh Matthews says only one player can be compared to him without it being an insult and that's Richmond Grand Final hero Dustin Martin.

How many times Richmond fans gonna post this like it means anything 😂

Footy icon Kevin Sheedy reckons a lot of things too, Doesn’t make it gospel.

Unquestionably the greatest ever GF player. 3 out of 3 Norms. It's not even close.

Arguably the greatest finals player.

Elite H and A player with the record of having put in the single greatest season ever according to none other than the player many thought was the greatest player up til then - not some nuffies on bigfooty.

Arguably some players may have performed better on average in home and away over the journey of a career but none has reached the peaks as often as Martin has in the games that matter most.

Does this make him the best player ever? Well, it's at least a ticket into the conversation.

Ok, so Leigh Marhews says Martin is the only player that compares to him. So if he wins a 4th Norm Smith where do you rank him?

That's like asking what happens if Martians land in Ballarat and set up shop at Mars Stadium. I would wager in fact that is the more probable outcome than Dusty winning another flag.

I think 2023 will be his final season FWIW.
Can't see the Tigers coming close to making the Granny tbh

Dusty is awesome but I don’t like to use Norm Smith Medals as a metric. Less than half of two full squads have a chance to win it and making the grand final is a team effort.

Best finals player already? Probably.
Greatest of all time? Doubt it.

I think the best 3 players in no order are Coleman, Senior and Matthews on paper as I saw none of them.

That's like asking what happens if Martians land in Ballarat and set up shop at Mars Stadium. I would wager in fact that is the more probable outcome than Dusty winning another flag.

I think 2023 will be his final season FWIW.
Can't see the Tigers coming close to making the Granny tbh
We didn't make the GF last year mainly because of Martin's injury imo.
Put Martin, Hopper and Taranto in the side and we're a big chance.

It means as much as any comment on player v player threads, I was responding to a poster that claims only Richmond supporters thought Dusty was one of the greats, Leighs comment shows that the poster I responded to is clueless.

Id have KB as the greatest Richmond player, Dusty at number 2 at this stage.

I tend to agree right up there as one of the best finals players ever, but not as good as some in the H&A games, but even then he is still one of the greats, will be a legend of the game, unless he does a GAS.

Legend forever, i can't see anyone topping what hes done in my lifetime. And hes a genuine chance for this year as well, if all things go well for the tiges.

Dusty is awesome but I don’t like to use Norm Smith Medals as a metric. Less than half of two full squads have a chance to win it and making the grand final is a team effort.

Best finals player already? Probably.
Greatest of all time? Doubt it.

I think the best 3 players in no order are Coleman, Senior and Matthews on paper as I saw none of them.
He's got 204 Brownlow votes which is right up the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back