Analysis If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest player of all time?

If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest pla

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Doesn't matter. Gary Ablett Jnr's best was better than Martin and he sustained it over a much greater amount of his career. We only saw Martin's best for 4 or 5 years which isn't a long time over the course of an entire career.
AFL is about winning grand finals not accumulating possesions in home and away games.
Ablett jnr was an AFL great but his father, Carey, Mathews and Lockett have him covered imo.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
AFL is about winning grand finals not accumulating possesions in home and away games.
Ablett jnr was an AFL great but his father, Carey, Mathews and Lockett have him covered imo.

Yes, and Ablett Jnr is still better than Martin no matter what you say. Martin could not have done what Ablett did in a super crappy Gold Coast side.

Also don't think I love Ablett, I think he is a shitty person, but he was undoubtably a better player than Martin.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes, and Ablett Jnr is still better than Martin no matter what you say. Martin could not have done what Ablett did in a super crappy Gold Coast side.

Also don't think I love Ablett, I think he is a shitty person, but he was undoubtably a better player than Martin.
So if Dustin wins a 4th flag and Norm Smith where would you rate him?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
So if Dustin wins a 4th flag and Norm Smith where would you rate him?

Still behind Ablett

Averaged 25 or more disposals in a season
Ablett - 11
Martin - 6

Averaged 30 or more disposals in a season
Ablett - 7
Martin - 1

Averaged 1 or more goals kicked in a game over the course of a season

Ablett - 13
Martin - 11

Averaged 1.2 or more goals kicked in a game over the course of a season
Ablett - 13
Martin - 7

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Still behind Ablett

Ablett - 11
Martin - 6

Ablett - 7
Martin - 1

Ablett - 13
Martin - 11

Ablett - 13
Martin - 7
It's not just about disposals. It's about impact and finals as well.
You don't get a stat for fending off two players at once.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It's not just about disposals. It's about impact and finals as well.
You don't get a stat for fending off two players at once.

Yes, and Ablett was super effective with his disposals, him easily getting more than Martin and averaging more goals as well. So he not only got the ball more but he seemed to be more effective with it too.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes, and Ablett was super effective with his disposals, him easily getting more than Martin and averaging more goals as well. So he not only got the ball more but he seemed to be more effective with it too.
If you dominate 3 winning grand finals , that puts you on another level imo. No one has done that before.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
He's got Judd covered imo. It depends what weight you put on dominant grand final performances.
Have him quite a distance behind Judd.
His H&A performances over the past three years have been decidedly average by his lofty standards.
There's no doubting his finals records.

I'd have him finishing somewhere in the 25-50 range at this time.
I know that Richmond fans would try and inflate this but that's comfortably within the ranks of Ben Cousins, Nick Riewoldt, Peter Matera, Nathan Buckley, James Hird, Robert Harvey etc and ahead of Jason Akermanis, Dean Cox, Mark Ricciuto, Adam Goodes, Andrew McLeod (just listing some recent players). I still think that's being held in the highest regard with only Buddy eclipsing him of the players currently playing (so far).

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Have him quite a distance behind Judd.
His H&A performances over the past three years have been decidedly average by his lofty standards.
There's no doubting his finals records.
I'd have him finishing somewhere in the 25-50 range at this time.
I know that Richmond fans would try and inflate this but that's comfortably within the ranks of Ben Cousins, Nick Riewoldt, Peter Matera, Nathan Buckley, James Hird etc and ahead of Jason Akermanis, Dean Cox, Mark Ricciuto, Andrew McLeod (just listing some players from the turn of the century). I still think that's being held in the highest regard with only Buddy eclipsing him of the players currently playing (so far).
Come on. He's Richmond's greatest player above Kevin Bartlett and Bartlett is top 10 of all time.

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Still behind Ablett

Ablett - 11
Martin - 6

Ablett - 7
Martin - 1

Ablett - 13
Martin - 11

Ablett - 13
Martin - 7

Won a Norm Smith Medal:

Martin : 3
Ablett : 0

Won the Gary Ayres Medal:

If he wins a 4th Norm Smith as much as oppo supporters would hate it the debate as GOAT will
become a new debate … “Who is the second greatest of all time”.

And before everyone goes off half cocked about consistency etc… Martin is going to end up with 200+ Brownlow votes and maybe finish top-5 all-time. That’s a H&A only award in case you’ve forgotten . He also has about 8 x top-3 finishes in the B&F. So yeah, he goes alright week to week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Won a Norm Smith Medal:

Won the Gary Ayres Medal:

If he wins a 4th Norm Smith as much as oppo supporters would hate it the debate as GOAT will
become a new debate … “Who is the second greatest of all time”.

And before everyone goes off half cocked about consistency etc… Martin is going to end up with 200+ Brownlow votes and maybe finish top-5 all-time. That’s a H&A only award in case you’ve forgotten . He also has about 8 x top-3 finishes in the B&F. So yeah, he goes alright week to week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A Norm Smith just means he was the best player in the Richmond team, which isn't exactly a shock. Most players in the AFL were not playing on those Grand Final days.

A Norm Smith just means he was the best player in the Richmond team, which isn't exactly a shock. Most players in the AFL were not playing on those Grand Final days.
No!

Isaac Smith > Bob Skilton

Richmond fans have found a way to have someone as good as Martin justifiably classed as overrated.

Dusty over GAJ.

Be Good Series 11 GIF by Doctor Who

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back