Meltdown If Geelong were given home finals would they have won the 14, 16, 17 & 19 flags comfortably

Remove this Banner Ad

I am convinced that 100% they would have won at least 3 of the above 4 flags. Let’s look at it more forensically however:

2014:

Geelong v North Melbourne. Would have been an absolute walk in the park for the cats as north were the 7th- 8th best side in it that year and we had smashed them convincingly throughout the year. Instead we are forced to play in their home city and they get over the line in a close one. Believe we would have gone on to belt Sydney and then had another crack against the hawks in the GF. Prognosis: 50% likelihood.

2016:
Qualifying final. Won by a kick against he hawks. Should have been a much easier game down at Kardinia. Prelim final: here is where we were really robbed. Had won 7 of 8 home games throughout the season and would have started unbackable favourites in this match. Absolutely no doubt in my mind we win this game and go on to demolish the dogs.

2017:
Had comprehensively smashed out direct opponent at Simmonds stadium a couple of weeks before finals and had a number of elite players returning to the side. Instead we play the side that finished 3rd in their cheat ground in front of their fans who bought our tickets in the ballot and with their home town umpiring decisions. Absolutely 100% certain if the game was at gmhba we win. Would go on to demolish our bunnies the giants and crows. 100% certainty

Finished top and had to play 4th on their cheat ground then had to back it up with away game against the eagles and an away game against the 3rd placed side also in their cheat ground. Lost both our qualifying and prelim by a bees dick with some dodgy decisions and biased crowds. With an even run at it we would have been absolute morals to make the GF and belt up on the bye that was GWS in the grand final.

Overall I think it is safe to say at least 3 more flags would be in the coffers (probably 4) if the afl sorted out inequality of making us play away from home in finals

Yeah, about 2017:
You realise you lost that QF by 51 points despite winning free kick count 17-15.
Even if you do still think ‘home town umpiring’ is a factor, why does it apply only to that game and not to the round 21 game (which you ‘comprehensively’ won by 14 points with a 28-17 free kick advantage)?

We played horrible and only lost by 2 goals in 2017. Don't see how that was comprehensively smashed and a sure thing we wouldn't win a few weeks later.

In 2019 you would have had to play us at MCG regardless, whether it was prelim or GF.

Cheat ground is an interesting take. Would you be happy tax dollars went to all the MCG Tennant's to have their own ground like with you? Seems a waste of money to satisfy a few salty Cats fans... Who were quite happy for years to play their blockbusters at the 'cheat' ground.

2019:
Cats lost to the team that lost to the team that lost the GF.
Also lost to the premiers in the PF.
Eventually you have to win a game at the MCG if you want to win flag . You managed to do it three times in five years - why is it suddenly so unfair now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats are a great home and away team because they love being high on the ladder and having their praises sung. Fawning in the media. Indignation that their dominance could be questioned because it’s a safe distance from finals. They lapped up being top for the entire H&A this season. Finals exit is quickly moved on from because trade week is a hard re-set and the time to sell hope to all 18 teams. Premiers are left to reflect in quiet because of this noise. Cats 22 weeks of adulation, Richmond one. They’ve gamed the system perfectly to create the perception that they’re an imperious dominant team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ingratitude of this thread is nearly unbelievable, but I’ve read it so it’s there. So a Geelong fan with much recent success is whinging about could’ve/should’ve/would’ve’s. Ask a StKilda fan about this? Or Demons or Dockers etc. Be grateful for that era, and stop whinging and especially about something that has never happened(all these home finals) in 150 years. It’s still hopefully the people’s game, where as many people as possible get to attend. And hopefully opportunities for all clubs to win a Grand Final roughly once a generation.

Coming off the back of two away games in a row and having to travel again

But in your scenario, an equitable finals allocation of home games, would we assume that the GF would have been in Adelaide the next week anyway?

- also, travel again? What other travel did Geelong do in 17 finals? Don't say MCG - I will conceed it's not your home ground but you can't call that travel

We played horrible and only lost by 2 goals in 2017. Don't see how that was comprehensively smashed and a sure thing we wouldn't win a few weeks later.

In 2019 you would have had to play us at MCG regardless, whether it was prelim or GF.

Cheat ground is an interesting take. Would you be happy tax dollars went to all the MCG Tennant's to have their own ground like with you? Seems a waste of money to satisfy a few salty Cats fans... Who were quite happy for years to play their blockbusters at the 'cheat' ground.

Lolllllllll
Yeah that’s it.

‘Ok guys we love being fawned over so we will win these home and away games. But as we all know, the team that wins the comp never gets fawned over so we will take the foot off the gas in the finals.’

F*** me there’s a million things to criticise us about, and THIS - THIS is what you pick.

Lolllllllll
Yeah that’s it.

‘Ok guys we love being fawned over so we will win these home and away games. But as we all know, the team that wins the comp never gets fawned over so we will take the foot off the gas in the finals.’

F*** me there’s a million things to criticise us about, and THIS - THIS is what you pick.

What on earth are you even on about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back