If Geelong win the flag this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back on topic, is there a list of who the ex st kilda premiership players are? Maybe a few were missed?

Regarding the tangent, this is the first year since 2008 where Geelong are top and clear top. Other years they have finished equal top with other contenders on points (sometimes 1st on percentage), this year they are the top team by a fair margin in terms of wins. In years gone past despite being top 4 they weren't the favorites. This year they are.

As much as my Bay 13 experience will suffer because of it, this is Geelongs year.

I know three who played for the Tigers. Ian Stewart, Stephen Rae, and Michael Malthouse. Luke Ball played in one for the Clutchpies. Val Perovic must have snuck one or two in there for the Blues. So there are 5 to start things off.

I know three who played for the Tigers. Ian Stewart, Stephen Rae, and Michael Malthouse. Luke Ball played in one for the Clutchpies. Val Perovic must have snuck one or two in there for the Blues. So there are 5 to start things off.
(From an older bigfooty thread).

01.Jack Purse - 1900 (Melbourne)
02.Vernon Hazel - 1911 (Essendon)
03.George McLeod - 1911, 1912 (Essendon)
04.Ted Brown - 1914-15 (Carlton)
05.Norm Turnbull - 1921 (Richmond)
06.Harry Moyes - 1926 (Melbourne)
07.Bill Tymms - 1926 (Melbourne)
08.Frank Roberts - 1939-40 (Melbourne)
09.Stephen Rae 1973 (Richmond)
10.Ian Stewart 1973 (Richmond)
11.Mick Malthouse 1980 (Richmond)
12.Val Perovic 1981, 1982 (Carlton)
13.Russell Green 1983, 1986, 1988 (Hawthorn)
14.Paul Harding 1992 (West Coast Eagles)
15.Dean Rice 1995 (Carlton)
16.Darryl Wakelin 2004 (Port Adelaide)
17.Barry Hall 2005 (Sydney)
18.Brent Guerra 2008, 2013 (Hawthorn)
19.Luke Ball 2010 (Collingwood)
20.Ben McEvoy 2014 (Hawthorn)
21. Jamie Cripps 2018 (West Coast Eagles)

Not sure who the 22nd player is? Mark Hutchings was on the St Kilda list but never played

Your current coach literally found a way to lose a final to a side that didnt even qualify for the finals.

That seemed to work out reasonably. Did the flags come from all the confidence built up from constant week 1 finals exits including one against a team that had finished ninth? Everyone was a big believer - based on a boatload of evidence garnered over a significant period, that your club wouldn’t win anything ever again. Until you did.
That team only finished ninth because one team was racking up wins while running rampant on drugs for part (all?) of the season.

Sean Darcy will flog them in 5 mins in the GF. Cats can’t handle fat players in the big dance.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Were you even born in 2008?

The most sobering stat since the end of 2011 is finals v teams who finished top 4(made a Prelim):

Geelong 1 win 14 losses.

The only win came in a 64 minute COVID shortened PF v Brisbane in 2020.

In 80 minute finals v teams finishing top 4 since 2011:

Geelong 0 wins 12 losses.

In other words the worst wooden spooner in history could not have achieved a worse win/loss ration in these full length games than Geelong has over that extended period. There isn’t a team who is obviously better than Geelong in the 2022 home and away season, so the Cats are going to have to draw on that wonderful experience of theirs of losing finals to teams who finish top 4 in order to avoid winning the 2022 flag. I am a big believer in Geelong’s ability to successfully choke this finals series under the tutelage of veteran finals choking head coach Chris “help me out here guys” Scott. 😁
Selective stats are fun aren't they?

Since 2016, or the Dangerfield era, Geelong's elimination finals record when comparing to ladder position is this;

Finals vs teams that finished above them: 1-6 (sole win vs Brisbane in the 2020 PF)
Finals vs teams that finished below them: 5-1 (sole loss vs Richmond in the 2019 PF)

Since 2016, or the Dangerfield era, Geelong's elimination finals record when comparing to ladder position is this;

Finals vs teams that finished above them: 1-6 (sole win vs Brisbane in the 2020 PF)
Finals vs teams that finished below them: 5-1 (sole loss vs Richmond in the 2019 PF)

Yep and they can’t even get it done finishing minor premiers. No hope, might as well fold the club now.

“Dangerfield era.” That finals midget gets an era named after him at Geelong? How appropriate. 🤣

How confident are you that your figures are correct? At least my slective stats are accurate selective stats….😉

“Dangerfield era.” That finals midget gets an era named after him at Geelong? How appropriate. 🤣

How confident are you that your figures are correct? At least my slective stats are accurate selective stats….😉
No, it's just an appropriate way to judge the team since there was a lot of roster turnover around the time Danger came to the Cats. If my stats are inaccurate I'll be happy to concede, but please do show me where I've gone wrong

edit: Cats are 4-1 (not 5-1) in elimination finals since 2016 against teams that finished below them on the ladder. My bad

I know it has Geelong in the title, Hawks and Tigers fans, but it's actually about the Saints.

Just buy a membership and get your dirty little secret out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your current coach literally found a way to lose a final to a side that didnt even qualify for the finals.

That seemed to work out reasonably. Did the flags come from all the confidence built up from constant week 1 finals exits including one against a team that had finished ninth? Everyone was a big believer - based on a boatload of evidence garnered over a significant period, that your club wouldn’t win anything ever again. Until you did.
Yes but you're Geelong and your strike rate in AFL/VFL Grand Finals is, well its humorous to say the least.

Yes but you're Geelong and your strike rate in AFL/VFL Grand Finals is, well its humorous to say the least.

Yes and you’re Richmond, your strike rate in exiting seasons a month before anyone was even getting ready to watch finals was equally funny and then suddenly it wasn’t because you came out and won 3 flags in 4 years.

Yes and you’re Richmond, your strike rate in exiting seasons a month before anyone was even getting ready to watch finals was equally funny and then suddenly it wasn’t because you came out and won 3 flags in 4 years.

Yep, flags make up for it

I know it has Geelong in the title, Hawks and Tigers fans, but it's actually about the Saints.

Just buy a membership and get your dirty little secret out.
I just realised I forgot about Jamie Cripps when making this thread. Oops.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back