If Geelong win the flag this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
It means there'll be more ex St Kilda premiership players than St Kilda premiership players, given there are currently 22 of each and Rhys Stanley is an ex St Kilda player.

*When they do

They are so far ahead of the pack it isn't funny, don't know how they can choke this from here.
2c19f45aed066e7d3b9cf66519896bc9

Sean Darcy will flog them in 5 mins in the GF. Cats can’t handle fat players in the big dance.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We are Keeping The Lid On.

Since 2011:

Record in finals: won 7, lost 15 (32%)

Record in first week of finals: won 1, lost 8 (11%)

View attachment 1479063

The most sobering stat since the end of 2011 is finals v teams who finished top 4(made a Prelim):

Geelong 1 win 14 losses.

The only win came in a 64 minute COVID shortened PF v Brisbane in 2020.

In 80 minute finals v teams finishing top 4 since 2011:

Geelong 0 wins 12 losses.

In other words the worst wooden spooner in history could not have achieved a worse win/loss ration in these full length games than Geelong has over that extended period. There isn’t a team who is obviously better than Geelong in the 2022 home and away season, so the Cats are going to have to draw on that wonderful experience of theirs of losing finals to teams who finish top 4 in order to avoid winning the 2022 flag. I am a big believer in Geelong’s ability to successfully choke this finals series under the tutelage of veteran finals choking head coach Chris “help me out here guys” Scott. 😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most sobering stat since the end of 2011 is finals v teams who finished top 4(made a Prelim):

Geelong 1 win 14 losses.

The only win came in a 64 minute COVID shortened PF v Brisbane in 2020.

In 80 minute finals v teams finishing top 4 since 2011:

Geelong 0 wins 12 losses.

In other words the worst wooden spooner in history could not have achieved a worse win/loss ration in these full length games than Geelong has over that extended period. There isn’t a team who is obviously better than Geelong in the 2022 home and away season, so the Cats are going to have to draw on that wonderful experience of theirs of losing finals to teams who finish top 4 in order to avoid winning the 2022 flag. I am a big believer in Geelong’s ability to successfully choke this finals series under the tutelage of veteran finals choking head coach Chris “help me out here guys” Scott. 😁

Your current coach literally found a way to lose a final to a side that didnt even qualify for the finals.

That seemed to work out reasonably. Did the flags come from all the confidence built up from constant week 1 finals exits including one against a team that had finished ninth? Everyone was a big believer - based on a boatload of evidence garnered over a significant period, that your club wouldn’t win anything ever again. Until you did.

Your current coach literally found a way to lose a final to a side that didnt even qualify for the finals.

That seemed to work out reasonably. Did the flags come from all the confidence built up from constant week 1 finals exits including one against a team that had finished ninth? Everyone was a big believer - based on a boatload of evidence garnered over a significant period, that your club wouldn’t win anything ever again. Until you did.

Everyone? Dimma kindly informed the planet after our 2016 annus horribilis that our list was in very good shape. Hell, Benny Gale (as you would say) literally told you years in advance what would occur….make finals 3 times by 2015, win 3 flags by 2020. If a load of lemons chose not to listen to them or believe then that still does not constitute “everyone.” Some people aren’t lemons. 😁

There is a difference between faithfully fulfilling your destiny in making finals on schedule on the one hand, and choking 12-0 in full length finals v top 4 opponents over a 10 season span on the other hand. 😎

Everyone? Dimma kindly informed the planet after our 2016 annus horribilis that our list was in very good shape. Hell, Benny Gale (as you would say) literally told you years in advance what would occur….make finals 3 times by 2015, win 3 flags by 2020. If a load of lemons chose not to listen to them or believe then that still does not constitute “everyone.” Some people aren’t lemons. 😁

There is a difference between faithfully fulfilling your destiny in making finals on schedule on the one hand, and choking 12-0 in full length finals v top 4 opponents over a 10 season span on the other hand. 😎

You realise that we don’t lose to them BECAUSE they’re top 4 opponents right, they become top 4 because we lose to them in the case of our QF opposition.

And really all you’re pointing out is what every already knows and has acknowledged dozens of times: we have had a good side most of those years but not THAT good. Every season there will be two top four sides that lose twice before grand final day. We happen to be that side regularly.
I’m sure another cats thread will get created for you to make the same point again soon enough but yes we are all aware of it

Back on topic, is there a list of who the ex st kilda premiership players are? Maybe a few were missed?

Regarding the tangent, this is the first year since 2008 where Geelong are top and clear top. Other years they have finished equal top with other contenders on points (sometimes 1st on percentage), this year they are the top team by a fair margin in terms of wins. In years gone past despite being top 4 they weren't the favorites. This year they are.

As much as my Bay 13 experience will suffer because of it, this is Geelongs year.

You realise that we don’t lose to them BECAUSE they’re top 4 opponents right, they become top 4 because we lose to them in the case of our QF opposition.

And really all you’re pointing out is what every already knows and has acknowledged dozens of times: we have had a good side most of those years but not THAT good. Every season there will be two top four sides that lose twice before grand final day. We happen to be that side regularly.
I’m sure another cats thread will get created for you to make the same point again soon enough but yes we are all aware of it

I can see you are struggling to come to grips with this PB and I don’t blame you. Finals losses can be traumatic. But let me set this out a bit more clearly….

Geelong has not won a full length final against a team who finished top 4 after the finals in their last 12 attempts dating from 2012 onwards. The Cats however have the laudable record of 1 win 10 losses in full length finals v teams who finished the home and away season in the top 4. 🤣

But let me get this straight. Your side was not that good so they get a free pass for choking losing all those finals. But we should be falling over ourselves congratulating them for being that good they finish top 4 after the home and away season year after year, with no apparent advantages….like home ground advantage for one example of a thing a team may gain advantage from - but in this case doesn’t. :think: :drunk: 🤣

I can see you are struggling to come to grips with this PB and I don’t blame you. Finals losses can be traumatic. But let me set this out a bit more clearly….

Geelong has not won a full length final against a team who finished top 4 after the finals in their last 12 attempts dating from 2012 onwards. The Cats however have the laudable record of 1 win 10 losses in full length finals v teams who finished the home and away season in the top 4. 🤣

But let me get this straight. Your side was not that good so they get a free pass for choking losing all those finals. But we should be falling over ourselves congratulating them for being that good they finish top 4 after the home and away season year after year, with no apparent advantages….like home ground advantage for one example of a thing a team may gain advantage from - but in this case doesn’t. :think: :drunk: 🤣

Where did I say you should be falling over yourself congratulating us?
I’m trying to find where I wrote that but I can’t - can you help me? I mean I’m sure I wrote that because you said I did. I just can’t find where I did.

What is it I’m struggling to come to grips with, exactly?

Have I denied that we have lost finals? No.
Have I denied that we’ve fallen short? Nope, can’t seem to find that anywhere.
Have I denied that we have failed to actually win anything? Gee I’m looking because again I’m sure I must have said words to that effect because said I’m struggling to come to grips with all of this but no I can’t seem to find where I wrote that.

2020 was worse, they had what was a match winning lead!!

Nah 2020 we knew we were against a side who for all intents and purposes was better over a reasonably period of time at that stage.
Hawthorn, who deserved to win in 08 no denying, were not a better side overall at that point so it was a lot harder to take. Plus, it’s Hawthorn.

Back on topic, is there a list of who the ex st kilda premiership players are? Maybe a few were missed?

Regarding the tangent, this is the first year since 2008 where Geelong are top and clear top. Other years they have finished equal top with other contenders on points (sometimes 1st on percentage), this year they are the top team by a fair margin in terms of wins. In years gone past despite being top 4 they weren't the favorites. This year they are.

As much as my Bay 13 experience will suffer because of it, this is Geelongs year.

A Hawks supporter who has lost faith in Cats rare ability to choke finals? They are more than capable Network, you don’t choke that many without knowing exactly how to go about it. 😁

Remove this Banner Ad

Back