Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabWesty

All Australian
Jul 3, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Ablett has made it clear Saturday is his last game, but what about the other longer careered players at the Cats (over 150 games total)?

Harry Taylor - 279 games - I reckon this will be his last year win or lose.
Joel Selwood - 309 games - If we win, go on a high. If we lose, he'll go round again. Such a competitive beast.
Tom Hawkins - 275 games - Absolutely play on. Leading goal kicker in the comp.
Patrick Dangerfield - 268 games - Absolutely play on.
Zac Tuohy - 200 games - Play on
Jack Steven - 192 games - Play on - I reckon he'll want to lock in a top 22 position next year.
Lachie Henderson - 179 games - Play on
Cameron Guthrie - 165 games - Absolutely play on - his best year yet.
Mark Blicavs - 162 games - Absolutely play on - Taken his game to a new level. People were bagging him at the start of the year for trying to kick when moving backwards.

Thoughts?

Harry said he's still thinking of possibly going on and will have the discussion in the post-GF week

I'd say he'll go either way.

Joel will probably go if we win, I'd say. Couldn't blame him.

Ablett and Taylor are certain to finish.

Selwood is the interesting one for me. I remember many of us were shocked when Lingy retired after 2011, even though he probably had another year or two in most people's minds. Selwood is similar I reckon. Has a couple of years left, but if he feels that a back to back flag is unlikely, the lure of finishing your career on a high instead of coming back for potentially a mediocre fading out could be tempting.

Let the dust settle first. Stop getting ahead of ourselves.

Exactly this

We haven't even had the teams named, let alone the first bounce of the ball and yet some are already talking like it's all done & dusted

Be good to get through Saturday night before worrying about any of this other stuff

Exactly this

We haven't even had the teams named, let alone the first bounce of the ball and yet some are already talking like it's all done & dusted

Be good to get through Saturday night before worrying about any of this other stuff
1000% agree

And watch the shorts who are covering their wrong bets right now open their short positions again.

GO Catters

Ablett and Taylor are certain to finish.

Selwood is the interesting one for me. I remember many of us were shocked when Lingy retired after 2011, even though he probably had another year or two in most people's minds. Selwood is similar I reckon. Has a couple of years left, but if he feels that a back to back flag is unlikely, the lure of finishing your career on a high instead of coming back for potentially a mediocre fading out could be tempting.

I reckon Joel is just about cooked. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired at all. If he's not a midfielder he's really not suited to anywhere else. For me the only thing that would have him going around again is to help the club out and not have too many going all at once.

He's still the leader, he's got nothing to prove to anyone.

Exactly this

Fair enough to those who don't like these types of threads. But unless the players and coaches themselves are posting in here (or paying any attention to what's being said), I really can't understand how it makes any difference at all.

Supporters 'getting ahead of themselves' is never a factor in the result of any game, let alone this one. I thought this phenomenon (which I was cowed into in my earlier years, after all the finals failures) had been abandoned around here, but it appears to still have some currency. Surely '07 (let alone the two flags that followed in quick succession) demonstrated that there is absolutely nothing the opinions or predictions of fans can do to affect the result of these contests.

When Cloke kicked a monster goal right in front of us during the '11 GF, I can't see I felt very chipper about our chances of winning that match. And yet the players (fancy that) just knuckled down, wrested back the initiative, and finished all over the top of the Pies. My lack of confidence (or over-optimism, for that matter, if I'd been so inclined) wasn't going to make a scrap of difference to how it played out.

So, for my part, I will be going to the game on Saturday believing we can win. Our best (which we've demonstrably brought for the last two finals) is clearly good enough to trouble our opponents. Yet, if we're five goals down and finished by quarter time, I certainly won't be berating myself for believing we had a chance or for just embracing the moment for what it was.

How the players and coaches perform on the day has nothing to do with how anyone here is thinking or feeling about the outcome. Despite all the intimations to the contrary that we can postulate here, 'the universe' doesn't operate like that. Much less the mythical footy gods.

If we win on Saturday, we win. And no amount of my believing or doubting is going to make any difference whatsoever to that reality.

Last edited:
How the players and coaches perform on the day has nothing to do with how anyone here is thinking or feeling about the outcome. Despite all the intimations to the contrary that we can postulate here, 'the universe' doesn't operate like that. Much less the mythical footy gods.

If we win on Saturday, we win. And no amount of my believing or doubting is going to make any difference whatsoever to that reality.

In all matters except football I'd agree with you, I'm lending all my powers towards to the spirit bomb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we win, Chris Scott to retire with "bookend" premierships in 2011 and 2020

Hope not, though!!

Fair enough to those who don't like these types of threads. But unless the players and coaches themselves are posting in here (or paying any attention to what's being said), I really can't understand how it makes any difference at all.

Supporters 'getting ahead of themselves' is never a factor in the result of any game, let alone this one. I thought this phenomenon (which I was cowed into in my earlier years, after all the finals failures) had been abandoned around here, but it appears to still have some currency. Surely '07 (let alone the two flags that followed in quick succession) demonstrated that there is absolutely nothing the opinions or predictions of fans can do to affect the result of these contests.

When Cloke kicked a monster goal right in front of us during the '11 GF, I can't see I felt very chipper about our chances of winning that match. And yet the players (fancy that) just knuckled down, wrested back the initiative, and finished all over the top of the Pies. My lack of confidence (or over-optimism, for that matter, if I'd been so inclined) wasn't going to make a scrap of difference to how it played out.

So, for my part, I will be going to the game on Saturday believing we can win. Our best (which we've demonstrably brought for the last two finals) is clearly good enough to trouble our opponents. Yet, if we're five goals down and finished by quarter time, I certainly won't be berating myself for believing we had a chance or for just embracing the moment for what it was.

Good post IMO - i have been a bit superstitous over the years tbh. Never wanting to say anything too out there in case it bites me on the butt, but really how is anything I say got anything to do with the actual result of the game? The club has the players well and truly focussed and ready for the game, so what I say doesn't matter one iota to the result. I'm going into the game full of pride and passion as always and I can't see whether I am confident or not cofident has any impact on the game, so I am going in confident and who knows.

It will be pure bliss or absolute agony after the final siren and I'm hoping for pure bliss but who knows. Fingers crossed for the Cats!

Go you mighty pussies - I have faith that you can do it. Either way I am super proud to be a Cats supporter :)

If we win, Chris Scott to retire with "bookend" premierships in 2011 and 2020

Hope not, though!!
More chance of hell freeing over than CS going.

Taylor and Gaz will retire win or lose. Maybe Hendo if we win.

When Ling retired I was disappointed big time, could’ve gone another year and I think players should make the most of their careers, he was still going well.
I think Joel should go another year.
The only good thing when he retires is the opposition melts when we get another million dollars to poach another player.

When Ling retired I was disappointed big time, could’ve gone another year and I think players should make the most of their careers, he was still going well.
I think Joel should go another year.
The only good thing when he retires is the opposition melts when we get another million dollars to poach another player.
I think Channel 7 had already promised him a gig

[/QUOT

Who are you that is so wise in the ways of logic?
(Sir Belvedere to King Arthur, Holy Grail, slightly modified)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back