If Geelong wins, who calls it a day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are you that is so wise in the ways of logic?
(Sir Belvedere to King Arthur, Holy Grail, slightly modified)

All-time classic, with some absolutely unforgettable moments. Just like I hope the GF on Saturday will turn out to be for us.

Not that my hoping will make any difference to the result, though...

Let the dust settle first. Stop getting ahead of ourselves.
The arrogance + assumption Geelong will win is disturbing. Plus, I’m superstitious + think it jinxes us 😩

Obviously, we want Geelong to win, especially for Gaz, Selwood, Harry + Dangerfield.

I want the win for Duncan, Cuthrie, Blitz, Rohan + Menegola.

For our Misfits!
Our Wolves!
Our Irish Boyz!
Our Indigenous Boyz!
Our Young Guns!
For Scotty, Enright, Scarlo + all coaches + trainers.

Hell! For us, the supporters!

Especially, for my boy Miers!

KEEP THE LID WELDED ON!!!

With Cameron coming, Sel won't go anywhere. People forget just how important his on-field leadership is. He won't retire until he feels like he's exhausted every last drop, as he's just a competitive beast. Ablett will, and Taylor most likely will. Everything else is up for discussion , and way too early to even be contemplating

Sorry Harry that's it
Harry is a great player, and still has a role to play on Saturday, but he's really been running on fumes for the last three years. I know that the blokes who started later tend to find it harder to hang up the boots, but really, it's time.

If he doesn't call it after Saturday, the club should.

When Ling retired I was disappointed big time, could’ve gone another year and I think players should make the most of their careers, he was still going well.
I think Joel should go another year.
The only good thing when he retires is the opposition melts when we get another million dollars to poach another player.

He could've. I reckon Scarlett went for one longer than he should have. His 2012 season was pretty indifferent if I remember rightly.

After we pump Richmond tomorrow I think Taylor, Ablett will retire. Selwood will announce what he wants to do at a later date

Fair enough to those who don't like these types of threads. But unless the players and coaches themselves are posting in here (or paying any attention to what's being said), I really can't understand how it makes any difference at all.

Supporters 'getting ahead of themselves' is never a factor in the result of any game, let alone this one. I thought this phenomenon (which I was cowed into in my earlier years, after all the finals failures) had been abandoned around here, but it appears to still have some currency. Surely '07 (let alone the two flags that followed in quick succession) demonstrated that there is absolutely nothing the opinions or predictions of fans can do to affect the result of these contests.

When Cloke kicked a monster goal right in front of us during the '11 GF, I can't see I felt very chipper about our chances of winning that match. And yet the players (fancy that) just knuckled down, wrested back the initiative, and finished all over the top of the Pies. My lack of confidence (or over-optimism, for that matter, if I'd been so inclined) wasn't going to make a scrap of difference to how it played out.

So, for my part, I will be going to the game on Saturday believing we can win. Our best (which we've demonstrably brought for the last two finals) is clearly good enough to trouble our opponents. Yet, if we're five goals down and finished by quarter time, I certainly won't be berating myself for believing we had a chance or for just embracing the moment for what it was.

How the players and coaches perform on the day has nothing to do with how anyone here is thinking or feeling about the outcome. Despite all the intimations to the contrary that we can postulate here, 'the universe' doesn't operate like that. Much less the mythical footy gods.

If we win on Saturday, we win. And no amount of my believing or doubting is going to make any difference whatsoever to that reality.
Great post. And after we flog them make sure we stay humble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How the players and coaches perform on the day has nothing to do with how anyone here is thinking or feeling about the outcome. Despite all the intimations to the contrary that we can postulate here, 'the universe' doesn't operate like that. Much less the mythical footy gods.
Yeah definitely
(Touch wood..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back