If Hawks pick up Leuenberger...

Aug 6, 2006
Washington DC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazer
... can Bobbie Campbell hold down full back for most of the season, while being a part time ruck option???

Seriously, can he?

From what i can see... if we have campbell, berger and max... when we are playing a team with a big bodied full fwd, berger and or max play ruck and campbell plays fb.

If we play someone like bulldogs, we give gilham FB and campbell and berger or max in the ruck?

This means we have effectively taken out our KPP backman problem.

With Croad CHB, Jacobs sweeping for crumbs, our team structure looks pretty good. the only thing i dont like is that campbell will never really settle into a position

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I agree.

Cambell should be our main ruck for the time being, but when Bailey and Leunberger fully develop, we should have him as a 'roaming monster' who can play in both the forward and back 50. For the moment, we should persist with Hodge, Croad, Gilham, Brown, Jacobs and Smith in defence.

If anything, when we play teams like the Dogs, we should send Cambell up forward to really expose the height deficiencies they have down back. :p

We should draft Leunberger anyhow as I believe having a pool of 2-3 ruckmen is terrific!

Aug 6, 2006
Washington DC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazer
philhawk said:
I agree.

Cambell should be our main ruck for the time being, but when Bailey and Leunberger fully develop, we should have him as a 'roaming monster' who can play in both the forward and back 50. For the moment, we should persist with Hodge, Croad, Gilham, Brown, Jacobs and Smith in defence.

If anything, when we play teams like the Dogs, we should send Cambell up forward to really expose the height deficiencies they have down back. :p

We should draft Leunberger anyhow as I believe having a pool of 2-3 ruckmen is terrific!

If Leuenberger was drafted... AC must man manage him and max, so they will be content to play on the same team and share the ruck... in stead of dominating it on their own.

Aug 6, 2006
Washington DC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazer
Roddy said:
Where does Simon Taylor fit into all this? They gave him a new contract this year, so obviously have plans for him....

I reckon we will honestly pick up a KPP before Leuenberger. Taylor is there to make 3 ruckman, and we have one more development rookie ruckman.

I think Taylor will play out his career as the guy to come in when one of the other guys gets injured. But saying that, he is big and could be a late developer. fingers crossed.

dipper86

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2004
Dimmeys
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea SSC Napoli
Geez thats a bit stiff expecting and 18 y old to hold down ruck in his first season of AFL footy.

Second of all what are you going to do about the big bodied full forwards that run like the wind, Neitz, Gehrig, Richo there is no way in hell Cambpell would keep up with them.

and third, I'm very keen on an explosive paced hard as nails midfielder named Proud. (only if Gumbleton, Hanson, Thorpe and Gibbs have gone)

Pharaoh

All Australian
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Of all ruck prospects to be drafted in recent years, Leunberger is most likely to play a lot of footy in his first year. But he is still skinny.

sammy555

Senior List
Sep 9, 2006
Tassie
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tassie
Hawkk said:
Some people are now saying Leuenberger could go 1 or 2!

If we snare him, I will be rapt.

i dont think we need a ruckman we should get a quick player a KKP backmen and maybe another midfeilder because hopefully we get rid of ries and maybe give ball enother season to prove himself

Back