If Hawthorn lose Friday night would you seriously want to beat Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Victory against Melbourne may be a double-edge sword for Collingwood's 2018 prospects if Hawthorn lose Friday night.

The difference between finishing 12th and 13th was one of the most contentious aspects of the AFL’s ‘weighted’ fixture system.

Collingwood after finishing twelfth last year received one of the toughest draws this season with double-up games against Geelong, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Melbourne.

However Richmond finished 13th last year and received three double-up games against Carlton, Fremantle and Brisbane Lions this year.

But that will soften significantly next year if they finish 13th and subsequently receive as many as three double-up games against this year’s strugglers, including North Melbourne, Carlton and Brisbane.

It would be nice to play a part in knocking Melbourne out of the finals. Should they lose to us, Essendon defeat Freo and WC upset Adelaide the dees will finish ninth.

Didn't we have the hardest draw EVER in 2010??

Whenever the ump blows the whistle I want to win. Smash sides into oblivion.

If you start down the path of not wanting to win games so that we enhance our longer term prospects, then you could logically ask: What's the point of a better draw next year? We won't win a flag next year so may as well have a tough draw, lose more games and get a higher pick in the "super draft". And down the rabbit hole you go, just like our opponents Melbourne did for years.

That's an extreme example and I get the "benefits" of losing this game, but I can't buy into what's basically a fearful mentality.

Victory against Melbourne may be a double-edge sword for Collingwood's 2018 prospects if Hawthorn lose Friday night.

The difference between finishing 12th and 13th was one of the most contentious aspects of the AFL’s ‘weighted’ fixture system.

Collingwood after finishing twelfth last year received one of the toughest draws this season with double-up games against Geelong, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Melbourne.

However Richmond finished 13th last year and received three double-up games against Carlton, Fremantle and Brisbane Lions this year.

But that will soften significantly next year if they finish 13th and subsequently receive as many as three double-up games against this year’s strugglers, including North Melbourne, Carlton and Brisbane.
If we are going to be the best we need to beat the best, the draw is the draw, winning is better than losing and one spot on the ladder could be good either way depending on where teams are at in 2018. Could say we were lucky to meet the Swans when we did and not again later in the year. Once the season starts it should be one week at a time.

I would like to beat Melbourne because their supporters are getting cocky, a little too early for my liking.

We owe the cheats from the last game :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to beat Melbourne because their supporters are getting cocky, a little too early for my liking.
Yeah this^

They're like Richmond supporters only worse, because they haven't even made the finals yet and they're already getting chirpy.

The AFL will still manage to find a way to give us a ******* hard draw even if we come last.
Than you
Don't believe the soft draw ever for us

Never happens

Play well. Win
That's always best policy

I have family that work at Thredbo. Something something snow.

They're so boring I couldn't even be arsed finishing the joke.
Love Thredbo
Been many times

They probably could have built village just up the road at dead horse gap, better snow line.

But it's a great village in European Austrian style

I hope we get hammered just to make it that much harder for Ed to spin the extension for his mate.
You just don't do happy do you.

I try to get that perspective but I just enjoy all aspects of line do tend to be happy.

Seriously who cares if Ed spins or doesn't spin, it not even remotely important in my view.

I Never pay attention to the PR sprouted as such

* minimal difference between pick 6 and 7.... probably all, but at least one of KPP Brander, Ballenden, Balta, etc still there by then

* if they are to trade out a pick for e.g. Lever... I would rather give away a 1st round pick of (marginally) lesser value

* for the anti Buckley crowd, even if we lose by 100pts to Demons.... Bucks will still be coach in 2018... the review is just smoke and mirrors

* easier 2018 draw for finishing 13th in 2017 ignores how many games we lost this year against beatable middle tier sides like Bombers, Saints, Demons, Bulldogs, Hawks etc and our loss to a spud Carlton - if with a healthy list we can't beat these sides then the draw isn't a factor like it is when your a top 4-6 chance.

Go pies!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back