Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riewoldt did OK under him.

giphy.gif

Not sure if it's really biased or incompetent, but Kingy has us sneaking into the 8 this year:rolleyes:

A lot of people have tipped Kennedy for the Coleman which is good.
Interestingly, MM has Melbourne missing the 8.

Here are a few of the predictions from the HS.

Mark Robinson

BIG CALL
“Gillon McLachlan departs at season’s end, Brendon Gale to be the AFL’s next CEO.”

Top 8
Collingwood
Richmond
Melbourne
West Coast
Essendon
Adelaide
GWS
North Melbourne

Premier: Collingwood

Wooden Spoon: Gold Coast

Brownlow: Nat Fyfe

Coleman: Josh Kennedy (WC)

Rising Star: Izak Rankine

David King

BIG CALL
“The new kick-in rule sends scoring spiralling down — the complete reverse of what was desired.”

Top 8
Melbourne
Richmond
Adelaide
Essendon
Collingwood
North Melbourne
Geelong
West Coast

Premier: Melbourne

Brownlow: Nat Fyfe

Coleman: Tom McDonald

Rising Star: Sam Walsh

Mick Malthouse

BIG CALL
“Expect Collingwood to scoop most of the awards this season .”

Top 8
Collingwood
West Coast
Richmond
Essendon
North Melbourne
GWS
Adelaide
Geelong

Brownlow: Brodie Grundy

Mick McGuane

BIG CALL
“With the new kick-in rule we will see a more “fold back” defensive set-up with a mindset of midfield coverage.”

Top 8
West Coast
Richmond
Collingwood
Melbourne
GWS
Essendon
Sydney
Geelong

Brownlow: Josh Kelly

Interesting that King and McGuane predict a negative effect from the kick in rule change. Part of me hopes they're right and it makes the AFL look like the buffoons they are for bringing in untested changes.
I think the theory goes that a kick-in will be so advantageous that teams will avoid speculative shots on goal and bide their time, waiting for a straightforward shot on goal.
For example, late in a GF, a bloke takes a mark in the pocket on a tight angle, with his side two points down. Being such a tough shot and knowing that a miss will likely see the opposition kick-in reach centre wing, he forgoes his chance at history and looks to lay it off instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that King and McGuane predict a negative effect from the kick in rule change. Part of me hopes they're right and it makes the AFL look like the buffoons they are for bringing in untested changes.
Or the other unintended consequence: coast to coast goals happen so much that the contest free football becomes boring to watch and viewer numbers plummet.

I think the theory goes that a kick-in will be so advantageous that teams will avoid speculative shots on goal and bide their time, waiting for a straightforward shot on goal.
For example, late in a GF, a bloke takes a mark in the pocket on a tight angle, with his side two points down. Being such a tough shot and knowing that a miss will likely see the opposition kick-in reach centre wing, he forgoes his chance at history and looks to lay it off instead.
Nah- he knew he had it the second Rioli put on the block. :p

I find it strange that a team who is getting pumped in the centre clearances and bleeding goals from them has no way of stemming the bleeding by putting an extra defender or two back.

Imagine Gold Coast for example being powerless to stop their opponents (possibly bigger bodies/more talented) from pumping the ball forward at a centre clearance for an easy goal, only for them to have to go back to set up in the exact position which is harming them. It seems like a recipe for disaster to take away a coaches avenue to protecting his team from a weakness (centre clearances) to give them a chance of winning through different means or strengths of theirs.

I find it strange that a team who is getting pumped in the centre clearances and bleeding goals from them has no way of stemming the bleeding by putting an extra defender or two back.

Imagine Gold Coast for example being powerless to stop their opponents (possibly bigger bodies/more talented) from pumping the ball forward at a centre clearance for an easy goal, only for them to have to go back to set up in the exact position which is harming them. It seems like a recipe for disaster to take away a coaches avenue to protecting his team from a weakness (centre clearances) to give them a chance of winning through different means or strengths of theirs.
Yeah the AFL has certainly gone with the overly simplistic idea that more goals = better footy.

It is a move that will strengthen the already strong and bring the weak to their knees.

I personally hate it, as the way to let a sport evolve is to do the opposite and allow coaches more leeway in playing new tactics and find what is successful.

You could argue that the modern tactical evolution of the sport began in 2000 as a result of the Bulldogs under Wallace defeating that seemingly invincible Essendon team by starting with an additional four in defence at stoppages, "flooding" the Bombers attack and removing their space for one-on-one contests.

Such a match can never happen now under the current rules.

Gold Coast you describe are the perfect example - what will happen under these new rules when they travel interstate?

I suspect it will be worse than when they and GWS had their respective inaugural seasons. I would not be surprised at all if there are scores over 200 this season because of this absurd rule change.

Then of course with bigger blowout matches, percentage on the ladder comes into play as well...

It all screams of an embarrassing mess in the making.

But there will be more goals, so AFL HQ will be happy... Because more goals equals more advertising breaks.

This is a multi-billion dollar entity that is run as a business first and entertainment second.

I reckon Hurn could just about torp to a leading forward around the 50m mark from a kick in at the SCG. Only needs 60-70meters

I went to watch a game a few years back at the SCG (the one where Buddy kicked 9 against the Saints) and the field is a postage stamp. Sat on the ground level in the pocket and had zero trouble seeing the opposite end pocket when the ball went down there. The SCG size has annoyed me for years, and I know it's a somewhat charming quirk of the game that no field is identical, but it also makes the game look amateurish.

It is a move that will strengthen the already strong and bring the weak to their knees.

I personally hate it, as the way to let a sport evolve is to do the opposite and allow coaches more leeway in playing new tactics and find what is successful.

You could argue that the modern tactical evolution of the sport began in 2000 as a result of the Bulldogs under Wallace defeating that seemingly invincible Essendon team by starting with an additional four in defence at stoppages, "flooding" the Bombers attack and removing their space for one-on-one contests.

Such a match can never happen now under the current rules.

I suspect it won't make too much difference. Remember that it only applies to centre bounces, not all stoppages. I'm not sure the exact requirements, but if the wingman can start further towards the back flank and still remain in the mid zone, it's not too different to having an extra man back. It might also just lead to the midfielders being more intent to cause a second stoppage after a centre bounce so that they can revert to their preferred setup. How many times a game do we actually see Naitanui tap to Shuey for a clean centre clearance? That's the only time there's a genuine advantage.

Or the other unintended consequence: coast to coast goals happen so much that the contest free football becomes boring to watch and viewer numbers plummet.

Not so bad for us though. We have two genuine weapons kicking out in Hurn and Jetta. We're going to be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back