Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must have missed something over summer. Richmond apparently the benchmark according to 360. There is a team somewhere out West that currently holds the cup.. not sure if they’re relevant to your discussion though.
TBF richmond was the best team last season until their epic bed shitting in the prelim

TBF richmond was the best team last season until their epic bed shitting in the prelim

8c8c71025049fea0911ed27be9511a7e.jpg

53331745e832cef2414f90545ef6182c.jpg

I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. Their loss to Collingwood wasn't a flash in the pan.

Their last 6 games don't fit the profile of an all-conquering juggernaut. They beat Geelong by 3 at the G, smashed a NEAFL team in GC and then just got over the line by 8 points against Essendon and 3 points against the woeful Bulldogs, both games being played at the G. Followed up by an unimpressive five-goal win against accidental top-four team Hawthorn and an absolute pantsing by Collingwood. Not to mention the shellacking West Coast gave them in Perth, which apparently doesn't count because it was an away game.

Sure they kept winning, but how much of that can be chalked up to their safe-space at the G and coasting on their premiership team Aura? All it took was a not-quite-fit Martin and an ill Astbury for the Pies to get a hold of them.

Yea the 'Richmond was the best team all year' narrative doesn't sit well with me. They won one game interstate and got pantsed by both the eventual grand finalists. Imagine the media if we made finals on the back of just one away win all year! We'd get destroyed!

Yea the 'Richmond was the best team all year' narrative doesn't sit well with me. They won one game interstate and got pantsed by both the eventual grand finalists. Imagine the media if we made finals on the back of just one away win all year! We'd get destroyed!
Remember all the crap we copped for not being able to win away from home? Seems that doesn't apply if you're based in Melbourne.

Remember all the crap we copped for not being able to win away from home? Seems that doesn't apply if you're based in Melbourne.

It’s also hard to play that card when you go 5-0 in Victoria.

Yeah it's pissed me off hearing it so much too. We were clearly the best side all year. We won 10 in a row, had the best record against top 8 sides, belted Richmond, beat pies by 6 goals at the G after NN did his knee in the second quarter. Came back from a fair few goals down, multiple times (not even including the GF) and were pretty much in every game we played. Lifted massively in areas we were lacking a little, in the finals series (like ground balls and contested possessions) and smashed Melbourne at their own contested game and made them s**t their pants.

Richmond won 17 of their 18 games in Melbourne, if we played 17 games in Perth, we'd be top 2 every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond weren’t the best team all year. I’ve been in many arguments with people that have said they were.

If we are judged by winning against good teams away then so should they. It doesn’t matter if the grand final is in Melbourne. Beating good teams away and also having a good record is key.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Richmond weren’t the best team all year. I’ve been in many arguments with people that have said they were.

If we are judged by winning against good teams away then so should they. It doesn’t matter if the grand final is in Melbourne. Beating good teams away and also having a good record is key.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It pisses me off too, but then I look at the Eagles Premiership poster on my wall and smile. In 5 years time no one will remember who won the minor premiership.

It pisses me off too, but then I look at the Eagles Premiership poster on my wall and smile. In 5 years time no one will remember who won the minor premiership.
Ehhh I'm happy regardless but it's just the hypocrisy and the lack of credit our team is getting. We'll always have the last laugh, but these fans obviously don't know football and listen to the vic media rhetoric.

I’ve watched a few “AFL” shows over the past week and some catch up on 360. Theirs barely been a mention of us. It’s only been about Richmond, Collingwood and Melbourne. They’re so pissed that the lads made them all look like fools, to the point that they’re now making up fairytale scenarios which sees the Victorian team win :drunk:. They cannot stand the thought of the cup being on the West Coast.

Also have a look at these campaigners :tearsofjoy:

There wouldn’t be a problem if they were able to hold themselves in a more professional and unbiased manner. I obviously don’t mind banter but it was never banter last year. They wrote WC off all season, talked up Melbourne constantly (who were spanked by us) so they rightly copped a fair bit of s**t for it. Not to mention they didn’t bother with a GF review. So I’ve quite enjoyed their saltiness.

5C848308-F19E-46F7-BECB-80BD844E6A14.png

Last edited:
I’ve watched a few “AFL” shows over the past week and some catch up on 360. Theirs barely been a mention of us. It’s only been about Richmond, Collingwood and Melbourne. They’re so pissed that the lads made them all look like fools, to the point that they’re now making up fairytale situations which sees the Victorian team win :drunk:. They cannot stand the thought of the cup being on the West Coast.

There wouldn’t be a problem if they were able to hold themselves in a more professional and unbiased manner. I obviously don’t mind banter but it was never banter last year. They wrote WC off all season, talked up Melbourne constantly (who were spanked by us) so they rightly copped a fair bit of s**t for it. Not to mention they didn’t bother with a GF review. So I’ve quite enjoyed their saltiness.
Tom Morris was pretty emphatic on the pod this week that he was wrong, and we played magnificently last year. He also tipped us in the prelim last year IIRC, although I think he was more a pessimistic Dees fan. And Max Laughton tipped us to be first this year unlike most.

I like the Fox Footy guys actually, because they aren't high profile ex players or commentators so they are a bit more free with their opinions, even if they give Eagles fans a bit of stick from time to time.

Tom Morris was pretty emphatic on the pod this week that he was wrong, and we played magnificently last year. He also tipped us in the prelim last year IIRC, although I think he was more a pessimistic Dees fan. And Max Laughton tipped us to be first this year unlike most.

I like the Fox Footy guys actually, because they aren't high profile ex players or commentators so they are a bit more free with their opinions, even if they give Eagles fans a bit of stick from time to time.

Fair enough, I haven’t had the chance to listen to the podcast this week yet, so I was only going off the tweets, I’ll lay off a bit then. But I can’t recall their tippings last year due to a few highly stressful weeks between 28th August to the 29th September which also included a fair bit of alcohol consumption.

Just on this - there are six seconds on the clock the moment the footy touches Yeo’s boot. Let’s assume it’s smothered and bounces up perfectly to Varcoe (presumably). He‘s not gathering, running from the centre circle to 55m and kicking in six seconds.

He can’t score himself, so he kicks ahead to a teammate. De Goey is no certainty to mark with Schofield on his hip, but let’s argue that Varcoe gathers and kicks perfectly ahead. De Goey is either forcing a set shot from beyond 55m, or leading back towards goal but hearing the siren go because the longer kick took too long.

Zero chance of a smother amounting to anything other than the most breathless, but ultimately inconsequential, moment in Grand Final history. Kingy gets there eventually, but imagine trying to script a better Grand Final than the one we actually got.

* Victorian fan fiction.

Have thought that exact thing having watched it so many times. Had Varcoe actually smothered it, we probably would've lost, and Jack Darling would be doing the Ron Burgundy, walking down the street drinking milk from the carton never to play AFL footy again
Who knows the ball might have bounced between Varcoe and Yeo mops up and ends up drilling it from 55 meters.

Well it could of happened...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back