Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched Access All Areas on AFL website with Barrett and Lloyd. I actually don’t mind those two to be honest, grown on me.
Anyway, they showed all the frees and non frees which all seemed to go against Carlton. Thought they could’ve at least thrown that Yeo one in there or the Cameron one maybe.
Yep

Agree with you 100%.

If you throw in Yeo's, we all move on.
Showing just the lucky one's WC got, shows a bit of biase methinks.

Just watched Access All Areas on AFL website with Barrett and Lloyd. I actually don’t mind those two to be honest, grown on me.
Anyway, they showed all the frees and non frees which all seemed to go against Carlton. Thought they could’ve at least thrown that Yeo one in there or the Cameron one maybe.

When it's that environment, where just a level of professionalism is required, they do well I think.

yeah that was one where the commentary team got it wrong (and the umpires got it right).

Show of strength is great, but if you are more than a metre away from contesting the ball (either ruck or marking contest) then it is just a block. Add to that Casboult had his back to the ball it was a really obvious one.

What about the one where the commentators faffed on about De koning beating Nic Nat, he just shoved him square in the back. The holding the balls were ridiculous, we got the HTB our way more this time but we are one team that usually gets reamed on HTB.

Yeah, I watched it too. Not balanced at all, so biased again. There were plenty of others where Eagles were disadvantaged. Disapointing bias.

What about the one where the commentators faffed on about De koning beating Nic Nat, he just shoved him square in the back. The holding the balls were ridiculous, we got the HTB our way more this time but we are one team that usually gets reamed on HTB.
Yep.....two hands on Nic's shoulders for lift and didn't hold the mark. Should have been Nic's free.

I wasn't expecting much from the commentary once Ling said - before the game - (this is paraphrased) 'with the rain expected it will be massive if Carlton get the jump here, would really put them in a winning position.... I suppose for WC too'

Cripps is a superstar, but finishing around goals is a clear weakness of his, especially given he rests down forward regularly.

His kicking is pretty average irrespective of where it is on the ground. Pokes at the ball.

You mean that's not how you assess how the umpiring was? I thought you just complained about the frees against or not paid to the team you wanted to see win? That's what BigFooty, Victorian media and Alastair Clarkson has taught me all these years.

Personal annoyance but the constant use of the term 'Champion' for Patrick Cripps.

Great player in a dud team, but champion is a term that should be reserved for actual winners.

Personal annoyance but the constant use of the term 'Champion' for Patrick Cripps.

Great player in a dud team, but champion is a term that should be reserved for actual winners.
Are you saying that you can only be a champion in a successful team?

It's not his fault he's in a dud team.
BTW, I don't think he's a champ yet, but he's getting there.

There have been many, many HTB decisions lately where there has been no prior and no ability to realistically dispose of the ball. Why have the Vic media chosen this one to highlight?

Don’t know what the 50 m was for? I assume the Carlton player gobbed off to the umpire? Again, Ryan had a 50 m penalty paid against him last week for pointing at the umpire after a stupid free was paid. Why didn’t the Vic media question this?

I am all for consistency, but it is apparent that there isn’t any in both the umpiring and the reporting of the umpiring.

I think that's what happened. Ch 7 commentary said a Carlton player made a sarcastic "good decision umpire" remark or something to that effect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, he has won the Carlton club champion three times and was named as the player's association MVP last year.

That is winning on an individual basis, which in many respects, would indeed make him a champion.

I don't think anyone is intentionally conflating the use of the term 'champion' with P.Cripps as a synonym for 'premiership player'.

Not sure why Daisy’s made an appearance in this thread. She seems to be one of the few (possibly the only Channel Seven-employed) special comments person who actually provides insightful and articulate comments on how the game is unfolding.

Not sure why Daisy’s made an appearance in this thread. She seems to be one of the few (possibly the only Channel Seven-employed) special comments person who actually provides insightful and articulate comments on how the game is unfolding.
Seven have apologised for the error and assured viewers she won't appear again.

What pisses me off is they zero in on a few iffy calls, and yet from the Tigers game, blatant pushes in the back led to two easy goals. Dusty was one culprit. Yet nothing was said about it. Cause it's Richmond and golden boy, nothing is said. Play on!

Yep.....two hands on Nic's shoulders for lift and didn't hold the mark. Should have been Nic's free.
It's not a free kick against unless he gets nowhere near it. He nearly took the mark, play on is the right call.

The ruck infringement when Allen was thrown down and their ruck never contested the tap was as clear as day to Allen, the commentators were way off base in that one.

This channel 7 commentary is terrible, particularly with West coast games.
We get a favourable decision and it is talked about all game.
We get an horrendous decision against and it is glossed over, if brought up at all.

Especially galling because you know someone in a position of power said something about us "getting all these frees at home" and then suddenly, bam, last in the league for "frees for".

Kennedy would win the Coleman every year if the umps stopped letting oppo defenders molest him all game. Its carte blanche in our forward line - Kennedy, Darling, et al need to take the f*cken clearest of marks or they get nothing.

Really enjoyed this article about ruckmen, and Naitanui specifically: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08...ax-gawn-brodie-grundy-todd-goldstein/12521372

"By just about every statistical measure we have come to rely upon for judging one ruckman against another, he comes up short. And then you watch him play. And you see what he does for his team. And none of that other stuff matters any more.

His ruckwork and connection with his midfielders creates more pure opportunity for scores than any of his contemporaries, and his presence influences stoppage situations like few others. You can't appreciate the little things unless you watch them, the stats sheet just can't capture it."

Really enjoyed this article about ruckmen, and Naitanui specifically: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08...ax-gawn-brodie-grundy-todd-goldstein/12521372

"By just about every statistical measure we have come to rely upon for judging one ruckman against another, he comes up short. And then you watch him play. And you see what he does for his team. And none of that other stuff matters any more.

His ruckwork and connection with his midfielders creates more pure opportunity for scores than any of his contemporaries, and his presence influences stoppage situations like few others. You can't appreciate the little things unless you watch them, the stats sheet just can't capture it."

That Bilton bloke does good work.

Perhaps it was the collective stink of the rest of the commentary team yesterday that soiled her performance, but I don't think she offered anything insightful at all. In saying that, she was the best of the group but that's hardly great when it includes, Basil, Ling, Darcy and BT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back