Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep you’ve barked up the wrong tree!
Cox - the greatest ruck in the AFL era. Changed the role of rucks
Judd - heralded as the GOAT before his groin injury.
Cousins - the Eagles GOAT.
Kerr - still better than any mid we currently have

I was too young to truly appreciate the 92-94 team but there’s probably a good case this midfield is stronger.

I reckon Matera is ahead of Cuz for Eagles GOAT

Yep you’ve barked up the wrong tree!
Cox - the greatest ruck in the AFL era. Changed the role of rucks
Judd - heralded as the GOAT before his groin injury.
Cousins - the Eagles GOAT.
Kerr - still better than any mid we currently have

I was too young to truly appreciate the 92-94 team but there’s probably a good case this midfield is stronger.
Yeh, I get you, but Cox for example was 'the greatest ruck in the AFL era" - he was up to that point!?..the era has moved on.. Sure Cox was the first midfielder/ruck/rover type and he tutored Nicnat, but to play Cox against NN now would be interesting.
Maybe you're right, how will we ever know?
Bring on the technology to digitally recreate those two teams/players (with all their stats etc) to throw them against each other in a simulated match - some future fantasy.

Last edited:
I’ve watched the Eagles since their very first game, and have seen all the greats, including Matera, Jako, Worsfold, Kemp and Sumich etc at their peak, and nothing will ever match Cuz, Judd, Kerr and Cox imo.

They were unbelievable at their best and could turn games in a very short time, coming back from 60+ points on multiple occasions. They dragged a team with basically no forwards to 2 GFs and a Premiership. Legends every one of them. 👍

Yeah I like Gaff, but no chance I’d pick him over Embley. Embers was a better mark, better in the contest (both due to his size compared to Gaff) and more dangerous around goals.

Gaff is one of the most underrated marks. Doesn’t necessarily take pack marks on the lead but will stand under anything and has great hands

06 Was all up the better midfield.

But a hybrid of both for the starting center bounce ruck I would have,
NicNat, Judd, Cousins, Kelly (actually had Kerr ready to type but Kelly has been so good lately)
On the wings Embley and Gaff.

If not better, surely equal to? Certainly better if we snatch another flag (covid or not?)
Judd = Kelly.
Cousins = Shuey
Kerr = Yeo
Fletcher = Sheed
Braun = Redden
Cox = Nicnat
Still got Gaff...and Rioli... Hutch...Venables not sure if he's gone?
Mix n' match anyway you want, I reckon it's better.
Maybe need to factor in the game/umpiring changes since 2006/7?

In terms of role, Kelly is the closest to Cousins we’ve had since Cousins. In terms of talent, Kelly is equal to Judd like Fremantle are equal to West Coast. It’s a nice sentiment but it’s just not remotely true.

The biggest issue with this comparison is the way the game is played. there was much more space around stoppages back in 2006 compared to recent history (at least visually). so the structures and game styles will directly impact how well the teams perform. You could have that 2006 team in Ross lyons hands and it'd be complete garbage.

06 Was all up the better midfield.

But a hybrid of both for the starting center bounce ruck I would have,
NicNat, Judd, Cousins, Kelly (actually had Kerr ready to type but Kelly has been so good lately)
On the wings Embley and Gaff.
Wouldn't that be incredible to watch.

06 has the runs atm - 2 brownlow medalists, and a runner up (by only 1 vote).

If the current guys snag another premiership... that'd sway me... we do look good on paper (and when we're winning)

The 2006 midfield had a better centre square but the 2020 midfield bats deeper with the likes of Jones, Fletcher, Braun and Stenglein struggling to make the 2020 team imo.

Please don't make me choose between Cox or Naitinui. Cox dammit.

Peter Matera is possibly the best wingman in AFL history.

Last edited:
The 2006 midfield had a better centre square but the 2020 midfield bats deeper with the likes of Jones, Fletcher, Braun and Stenglein struggling to make the 2020 team imo.

Please don't make me choose between Cox or Naitinui. Cox dammit.

Peter Matera is possibly the best wingman in AFL history.

Cox and NicNat would be a dominant partnership. Similar to what St Kilda are doing at the moment with Ryder and Marshall, NicNat could take the centre bounces then go forward, and Cox could roam around the ground as the fifth midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why Daisy’s made an appearance in this thread. She seems to be one of the few (possibly the only Channel Seven-employed) special comments person who actually provides insightful and articulate comments on how the game is unfolding.
I find her annoying and generally a cheerleader of Victorian teams.

I haven’t heard anything particularly insightful come out of her mouth.

I think there are only four commentators I can stand.

That just means the team is better. Not the midfield. Did you actually witness the forward line dysfunction that went on in that era?

The midfield ensemble of Cox, Judd, Cousins and Kerr, will never be beat. It’s almost impossible.
2 Guys that we’re rated the best in the league Brownlows and MVPs, the other guy coming second in brownlows and then the ruckman who changed the role of a ruck, whilst also giving sublime taps.

People have forgotten how deep we batted in that midfield also. The current midfield is no where near them.

It's just seems like recency bias.

Imagine how that 06 midfield would go with a JK and Darling up front.

its some times thrown around we under achieved in that period. but I think we lacked the firepower up front. our backline was above average, but not great.
(Glass was great though)

Don't forget HUNTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

In terms of role, Kelly is the closest to Cousins we’ve had since Cousins. In terms of talent, Kelly is equal to Judd like Fremantle are equal to West Coast. It’s a nice sentiment but it’s just not remotely true.
I did say mix n' match the comparisons anyway you want realising it mightn't be exactly like for like.
I'm clearly out on a breaking limb here, but that's okay! ((;

But I still maintain when comparing the two midfields you have to also factor in the context in which they played...Eg- a Matera (mentioned in above post) racing down the wing and launching sensational goals on the run, wasn't playing in so much congestion or traffic, players kept their positions more, which opened the game up for mids/wingers like Matera.(but he still had the natural ability to do that)
Was the 2006 team when flooding started to be a thing? Because if it wasn't, then the same argument applies, there was more space to get around in, if you were a good mid with pace and skills.

Players today don't have that luxury - it's just frenetic pressure and congestion.
But I do recall the '06 GF being frenetic around the ball also, did they keep positions more back then, not the zoning/ the web/ flooding of today?
The biggest issue with this comparison is the way the game is played. there was much more space around stoppages back in 2006 compared to recent history (at least visually). so the structures and game styles will directly impact how well the teams perform. You could have that 2006 team in Ross lyons hands and it'd be complete garbage.
That's what I've been trying to say! So therefore it enhances players performance back then and 'possibly' restricts players performance today. If you slotted into the 2006 game- Shuey, Kelly, Yeo, NN, Sheed and Gaff would they play better? If you slotted Judd, Cuzz, Kerr, Embley and Cox into todays game - would they still be as good in all that congestion?
It is also far more team orientated now than back then, you must be accountable for your space/zone/man..

06 midfield was more talented but fairly unaccountable so unless there was a significant change in attitude they'd get beaten by our current lot.

That's where the likes of Stenglein and RoJo came into play, they did the defensive grunt work to make the others look good.

Agree with your first statement.

On the 2nd, Gaff isn't better than Embley was
Embley and Gaff play. Braun gets the chop.

Surely Fletcher and Stenglein miss for two of Kelly/Shuey/Yeo. Not too mention Rowan Jones.

Could easily drop Armstrong and shoehorn Kelly or Shuey as a HFF or forward pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back