Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While there is some truth to this, Worsfold took almost the same list to the finals in his first year in charge after Judge.

Judge was a bad fit for the club and didn't have the tool set to get the best out of the list

Edit: Looking up his record at Hawks
8th
15th
13th
9th

He always had poor to mediocre results when in charge.

Funniliy enough, with a record like that, it would be like us replacing Woosh as coach with Bluey after his Gold Coast stint, the way Bluey replaced Woosh as captain.

All roads lead back to Bluey (who was better than Shep btw)

While there is some truth to this, Worsfold took almost the same list to the finals in his first year in charge after Judge.
Worsfold inherited Judd and Sampi (and to a lesser extent Hansen) in the 01 draft, and Kerr from 00, as well as Glass and Hunter from 99 (Dean Cox came that year too but wasn't effective for a few more years). What didn't help Judge was the cavalcade of injured and has-been players (Merenda, Prior, Seirakowski, Taylor etc) he brought in through trades to try and top up the young talent that was coming on to the list.

View attachment 934255

15/22 we gave up 100 points or more
4 of those 15 we gave up more than 150

"Judge got sacked because he tried to change the culture!"
And that was his better season. He was absolutely useless and crushed the confidence and creativity of every single player, maybe with the exception of Daniel Kerr.

I have seen some games from that era on youtube, describing us as a rabble would be kind.

Last edited:
Embley was always the dangerous one in our midfield group- he’d push forward and kick some big goals at crucial moments.. However, He’d also miss some sitters as well, and I think people often forget it took him a good few years to properly get going. He was a whipping boy for a while. In today’s game I think he’d be lining up on a flank rather than on a wing.

Gaff for pure consistency has to be very close. His ability to keep running and linking up is elite. If he could take his game to the next level it would be through the scoreboard; like he did in 2018, but we also have a super forward line to direct his kicks to.

And that was his better season. He was absolutely useless and crushed the confidence and creativity of every single player, maybe with the exception of Daniel Kerr.

I have seen some games from that era on youtube, describing us as a rabble would be kind.
Describing us as a footy team would have been kind.

I think people have softened on Judge over time, especially with his death. But the stats and results dont lie - he was a sh*t coach at Hawthorn and he was an even sh*tter coach at West Coast. There's a reason his coaching gigs ended after we let him go. I mean I dont want to harp on it, but check this list of results out: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/coaches/Ken_Judge.html

He was sh*thouse. I daresay us Bigfooty posters could have got more out of that 2000/2001 West Coast team, and thats saying a lot.

Worsfold inherited Judd and Sampi (and to a lesser extent Hansen) in the 01 draft, and Kerr from 00, as well as Glass and Hunter from 99 (Dean Cox came that year too but wasn't effective for a few more years). What didn't help Judge was the cavalcade of injured and has-been players (Merenda, Prior, Seirakowski, Taylor etc) he brought in through trades to try and top up the young talent that was coming on to the list.
That 2000 Off-season. IIRC we traded Mitchell White because he was unhappy with Judge for three draft picks (a late second, third, and fourth), then on traded the second to Essendon for Prior, the fourth to Richmind for Merenda, and also sent our second to Hawthorn for Collica and Taylor.

Also Gehrig bailed but got us the pick we used for Kerr, and Sierakowski as steak knives. And we swapped Metro to Freo for Greg Harding for some reason.

Picked McDougall, Kerr, Humm and Trent Carroll in the main draft, then Troy Wilson in the pre-season draft.

1597291705852.png

More points conceded in 2001 overall
Still 15/22 with over 100 points
5 scores over 150 conceded, with a 149 thrown in for good measure

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was thinking which non-Premiership player would make the cut. Contenders for mine would be:

Phil Matera
Pridda
Nic Nat
Shep
Gaff

I'd have Ph. Matera in a forward pocket. I prefer Pe. Matera and Embley on the wings, so that's Gaff out (unless I put Embley on a HFF, I would have Gaff ahead of Mainy). Not sure Shep gets in ahead of the defenders already mentioned. Despite the Brownlow, Pridda is behind Judd, Cousins, Kemp, Kerr at the very least. Nic Nat would get a bench spot if I go with two ruckmen, but Cox has him covered as starting ruck.
Here's a fun thought experiment. How would our all time best 22-non Premiership team go against Fremantle's best 22...uh...non premiership team. Feel pretty comfortable in saying we could find a better 22 that was never a part of any of our ultimate successes that's better than their best ever.

Here's a fun thought experiment. How would our all time best 22-non Premiership team go against Fremantle's best 22...uh...non premiership team. Feel pretty comfortable in saying we could find a better 22 that was never a part of any of our ultimate successes that's better than their best ever.

Quickly chucked this together from guys I enjoyed watching (plus Rosco since I couldn't think of another tall back).

FB: Sheppard Mackenzie Wellingham
HB: Morrison Glendinning Nicoski
C: Gaff Ebert Rosa
HF: Sampi Gehrig Staker
FF: Brown Cummings Matera
R: Naitanui Priddis Selwood
I: Gardiner Hill Wooden Swift

Pretty sure a certain versatile forward pocket would get us over the line.

Ken Judge was the worst f*cken coach this club ever had. He had no feckin idea what he was doing. A very Freo-esque management decision.

However the worst thing he ever did was bite the hand that fed him after being sacked. If he had just put his bitterness about what happened to the side im sure he would have led a much happier life.
I remember seeing him in a restaurant in St Kilda the night of the 2006 GF. We were whooping it up and he was sitting in a dark corner with his wife and another couple looking miserable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back