Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you've hit the nail on the head, it's the inconstancies that drive people mad, not the free kicks themselves.
People just ask for consistency, consistently good is better than consistently bad but at least both teams are treated the same.

People just ask for consistency, consistently good is better than consistently bad but at least both teams are treated the same.

They say they do, but really what they actually want is any time a 75/25 call goes against them, they want from then on all the 10/90 calls to go against the opposition.

Gov's deliberate out of bounds was easily the most obvious deliberate out of bounds for the night. The ones that didn't get called were tenuous at best.

Sports fans are heavily biased and always will be, and will never be happy with the quality of the umpiring in any sport.

Having said that there are major gains to be made in way holding the ball is adjudicated, and that would improve people's opinions of the umpiring markedly.

They say they do, but really what they actually want is any time a 75/25 call goes against them, they want from then on all the 10/90 calls to go against the opposition.

Gov's deliberate out of bounds was easily the most obvious deliberate out of bounds for the night. The ones that didn't get called were tenuous at best.

Sports fans are heavily biased and always will be, and will never be happy with the quality of the umpiring in any sport.

Having said that there are major gains to be made in way holding the ball is adjudicated, and that would improve people's opinions of the umpiring markedly.
Inconsistancy is rife, I have lost interest in neutral matches because it is such a blight on the game.

TBH I think a lot of the problems associated with the interpretation of the rule would be fixed overnight if they reintroduced the incorrect disposal rule. A lot of the time HTB is called when the ball is knocked loose in a tackle, however if the player with possession makes the slightest pretence at getting rid of it as they are tackled then play is allowed to continue. The biggest problem with this is that the pretence of disposal is allowed to occur using illegal actions - throws, dropping the ball, etc. This does not reward the tackler as it should, and instead encourages the player with possession to "fumble to advantage" to continue the play.

From a fan perspective this is wrong - to steal a tabletop/ RPG phrase, the tackled player is being given "a free action" to dispose of the ball outside of the legalities of the rules. The tackler is now being penalised by the action of tackling, because they are unable to further effect play of the ball as they are committed to the action of tackling. By "fumbling to advantage" the tackled player can pass the ball to a teammate who is not in danger of being tackled and continue the play as if the tackling player and the tackle itself did not matter.

TBH I think a lot of the problems associated with the interpretation of the rule would be fixed overnight if they reintroduced the incorrect disposal rule. A lot of the time HTB is called when the ball is knocked loose in a tackle, however if the player with possession makes the slightest pretence at getting rid of it as they are tackled then play is allowed to continue. The biggest problem with this is that the pretence of disposal is allowed to occur using illegal actions - throws, dropping the ball, etc. This does not reward the tackler as it should, and instead encourages the player with possession to "fumble to advantage" to continue the play.

From a fan perspective this is wrong - to steal a tabletop/ RPG phrase, the tackled player is being given "a free action" to dispose of the ball outside of the legalities of the rules. The tackler is now being penalised by the action of tackling, because they are unable to further effect play of the ball as they are committed to the action of tackling. By "fumbling to advantage" the tackled player can pass the ball to a teammate who is not in danger of being tackled and continue the play as if the tackling player and the tackle itself did not matter.

^
This.

Clean that up and it'll go a long way to fixing fan frustration.

Just call the bloody throws! It’s been happening for years. I said last week, watch Collingwood rugby pass all over the place, and what happens?? A blatant rugby pass in the dying stages that cost us. The over the head handball shits me too, used to be a throw, and should still be. The 2 handed hand pass/throw is the worst though. If you don’t physically punch the ball out of your hand, it should be a throw. There’s too many that just have a fist and a flat hand on the ball, and throw it in one motion, and get away with it. It’s one of the most frustrating things to watch, and it just never gets called, because the play is moving, no stoppages, yay open footy 🙄

Woah!

The Chief thinks BB would be a decent fit for us.

Jason Dunstall: There’s a few options. Melbourne definitely need forwards. They’ve got to get Sam Weideman some help up there. I think the Bulldogs are an option. Even, as funny as it sounds, West Coast might be an option given the age of Josh Kennedy. Given that he’s 33 years old now, it might just be a little bit of insurance for West Coast.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, it's the inconstancies that drive people mad, not the free kicks themselves.

The blocking and holding off the ball is the one we seem to get screwed on, Particularly Nicnat, JK and Darling.
In one fwd 50 it is a free in the other it's not.

The blocking and holding off the ball is the one we seem to get screwed on, Particularly Nicnat, JK and Darling.
In one fwd 50 it is a free in the other it's not.
I couldn't agree more but would be interested to hear an impartial's view (and not someone we're playing). Kennedy and Darling get smothered in more contests than not, but it doesn't seem to get recognised that often.

Just call the bloody throws! It’s been happening for years. I said last week, watch Collingwood rugby pass all over the place, and what happens?? A blatant rugby pass in the dying stages that cost us. The over the head handball shits me too, used to be a throw, and should still be. The 2 handed hand pass/throw is the worst though. If you don’t physically punch the ball out of your hand, it should be a throw. There’s too many that just have a fist and a flat hand on the ball, and throw it in one motion, and get away with it. It’s one of the most frustrating things to watch, and it just never gets called, because the play is moving, no stoppages, yay open footy

Also the inside out handballs were throws. Use your opposite

Yeah Gov's stupid free was there. Weak as piss, but there. Bloke needs a good bake over the offseason - good at floating around the back half taking uncontested grabs, lazy as f*ck when asked to do anything else.
I wasn't impressed with Gov this year. Got suspended and was pretty up and down form wise. He needs to get himself back into gear, not looking like a vice captain at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know if this incompetent or sarcastic media coverage but when Lyon stated Ainsworth is going to be our next big star.

Then they proceeded to take the piss out of his jockey like stature.

I still don’t understand how a campaigner that roots his best mates missus is still on tv..let alone why anyone would take advice from him..

Standard #VICBIAS rubbish here. 'Fortuitously earning the benefits of being minor premier's that they rightly earned by being top of the ladder for the ENTIRE SEASON. And what business is it of a team, embarrassingly eliminated from finals last week, what jumper Port wear from now on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back