Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have also beaten GWS, Collingwood and Fremantle

It shows how even the competition is apart from Geelong so to say there is a second clear standout is just fanciful

You make a good point. Collingwood still have to play away to us, away to GWS and away to Adelaide, so their 9-3 and healthy percentage could be misleading.

I want to see how we go against Essendon (our other Bogey team) before I commit to us being genuine challengers though. Just like last year we'll be off the bye and they'll be off a 6 day break. Decent chance we get our underpants pulled over our heads in the 1st quarter again.

You make a good point. Collingwood still have to play away to us, away to GWS and away to Adelaide, so their 9-3 and healthy percentage could be misleading.

I want to see how we go against Essendon (our other Bogey team) before I commit to us being genuine challengers though. Just like last year we'll be off the bye and they'll be off a 6 day break. Decent chance we get our underpants pulled over our heads in the 1st quarter again.

I’m getting 2018 feels all over again :confused:

The real danger from losing to Essendon is the fact we can then only afford 1 more loss if we want a reasonable chance of securing second spot. Otherwise I'm not too fussed about them or Sydney - both are teams that we match up poorly against and we lost to both last year as well. Given neither will make the 8, we aren't at risk of them upsetting us in a final.

The real danger from losing to Essendon is the fact we can then only afford 1 more loss if we want a reasonable chance of securing second spot. Otherwise I'm not too fussed about them or Sydney - both are teams that we match up poorly against and we lost to both last year as well. Given neither will make the 8, we aren't at risk of them upsetting us in a final.

2 losses in a row would bring out the angry pitch fork side of folding the club ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

2 losses in a row would bring out the angry pitch fork side of folding the club ..
Didn't we already fold the club last year after the Swans & Bombers loss ? Do we still exist ? I thought this was a "in memoriam" board like Fitzroy :think:

Told Garry to pull his head in and said Garry hates the eagles because there and successful club and Melbourne isn’t. Garry’s reply said he is not biased towards any team but conceded that because the swans were the “underdogs” that they were the story.

Told Garry to pull his head in and said Garry hates the eagles because there and successful club and Melbourne isn’t. Garry’s reply said he is not biased towards any team but conceded that because the swans were the “underdogs” that they were the story.
Were Melb favs in the Prelim?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

The problem is the ******* umpires. If a guy takes 6 steps after being tackled and has arms free to defend himself, get the ball away and makes no attempt to protect himself. Lets run through the options.

A. Umpire should have called for a bounce well before the tackle went to ground.
B. Umpire should have called for a holding the ball well before tackle went to ground.
C. The player being tackled still has a responsibility to protect himself.

The whole system is just beyond incompetence. It's as though their heads are so far up their own arse as to not even think of any of the above and just go oh right, tackle, concussion incident, instant suspension.

I've always maintained there's something that the AFL can do that would fix a hell of a lot of problems. Fix holding the ball.

Basically, you've hit the nail on the head with A & B. I was watching some old finals the other day, just watching the last few minutes of some close games, and the 94 prelim between North and Geelong was really interesting to watch. As soon as a player was wrapped up in a tackle, the umpire called for a ball up. No wrestling to break free, no sling to the ground, no attempt to dispose. It used to be an accepted tactic - just take the tackle and reset with the stoppage. Then the AFL decided to change things and HTB got paid a whole lot more.

There was a tackle in the game the other day. Hickey grabbed a looped handball from the air and was immediately tackled by Heeney. Hickey's arms were pinned and he couldn't get rid of the ball, but because he's twice the size of Heeney, he just had to drag Heeney with a few steps and the umpire judged it as HTB. Swans got a goal from the passage started from that free, IIRC. If it were 1994, it would have been a simple ball up, and we reset. If it was Cripps and not Hickey, he probably gets tackled to the ground and it'd be a ball up anyway. But because it was Hickey, Heeney wasn't getting him to ground.

Anyway, I digress. So many issues could be fixed by fixing the HTB rules. Would virtually eliminate sling tackles, as players madly try to * the ball carrier from getting the ball off by taking them to ground. It would also reduce head high "slip ups" that everyone gets their **** riled up about. There's no need to pin arms in a tackle. If you have had time to dispose and someone tackles you around the waist, why do you get more time to dispose? Why do guys get a 180 or 360 spin allowance? Just pay frickin' HTB if there is no immediate disposal. This means it dramatically reduces that player's ability to get off an effective disposal to a teammate, rewarding the tackler. Or the tackler gets the free kick if they take too long. I'm talking you get grabbed, that ball needs to be gone right away. No time to spin and find a teammate, no time to try and shrug. See, the shrug is immediately ruled out and tackles can no longer slip high.

It would fix so much s**t, be easier to umpire, eliminate a lot of risks to player safety, and get ridding of all the whiney bitches who complain about the person being tackled doing everything they can to evade/draw a free. The only way you'd get a free kick is if the tackler came in high or low to begin with. Outlaw arm pinning or grabbing, which is by far one of the worst allowances in the game. Make tackling waist only. But you need to have HTB clear and cut. None of these allowances that get applied to some players but not others.

Isn't Gov like the 2nd or 3rd best 1v1 defender in the comp? There was a stat a month or so ago about his percentage of 1v1 lost and I'm sure that was correct

Pretty ******* good for a floating defender

It's also a gross oversimplification of modern defensive tactics to suggest you 'have a man' and must be at their shoulder the whole time. It's also assuming that McGovern's instructions were to follow Buddy's every move when they could have been to hold back and someone else was to mark him if he lead into their zone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's also a gross oversimplification of modern defensive tactics to suggest you 'have a man' and must be at their shoulder the whole time. It's also assuming that McGovern's instructions were to follow Buddy's every move when they could have been to hold back and someone else was to mark him if he lead into their zone.
Thought this as the moron (forgot hios name) was ranting. Eagles play team defence - if obviously fell apart but with Hurn, barrass and Yoe out I thought we would struggle.

Any suggestion of 'not trying' should look at Shep running himself into the ground and the run Duggan provided.
McGovern was attempting to play three roles at ones. Toughed it out and provided some inspiring attack when the chips were down.

Two rucks and Smith. The MC should be the ones getting potted. Varkey is just gross. I thought Smith actually played well, he just wasn't the right selection for that game.

Rotham probably had his worst game but the wheels were well and truly off down the back. No Hurn, no Barrass and no midfield pressure.
Rotham was the right pick to come in for Hurn...although some Nelson mongrel has been effective on Papley in the past. I hate seeing his type carve us to pieces.

These Vic flogs blaming Gov is doing my head in. Obviously have not watched a game of ours for years. We play a group zoning defence where everyone else covers for everyone else. Even when Gov gets interviewed post game he always shrugs off his own game and says it was a back 6 collective effort - every single interview. Now suddenly with 2 of our most important defenders out he is single handedly to blame when it all goes to s**t.

They should just stick to acting like we don't exist like they have all season.

This morning on SEN Gary said to tim “now I want to ask you about the west coast eagles” Tim says “no, let’s just talk about Adelaide a bit more” he then went on to dribble s**t to fill in time so he didn’t have to talk about the eagles. Either Tim still sooking about something, or has no idea who the west coast eagles are.

These Vic flogs blaming Gov is doing my head in. Obviously have not watched a game of ours for years. We play a group zoning defence where everyone else covers for everyone else. Even when Gov gets interviewed post game he always shrugs off his own game and says it was a back 6 collective effort - every single interview. Now suddenly with 2 of our most important defenders out he is single handedly to blame when it all goes to ****.

They should just stick to acting like we don't exist like they have all season.

Gov is the best 1 on 1 defender in the game. Not one of the best, the best. Sometimes he gets caught out and that happens to every defender whether you are Stephen Silvagni or Trent Carroll. But he still rarely loses 1 on 1s. You could see vs Adelaide when he was just out of position and Milera outmarked him his expression was like 'WTF? This doesn't happen'.

The so called GOAT defender was beaten 5 or 10 times in the prelim and had no answer to a lanky beanpole who has played about 30 games and a mid sized forward. Fast forward a week and Schofield beat De Goey more often than not, Cox had little influence and McGovern's contested mark and play on started the chain that won the flag. Our defence is OK thanks for asking.

This morning on SEN Gary said to tim “now I want to ask you about the west coast eagles” Tim says “no, let’s just talk about Adelaide a bit more” he then went on to dribble **** to fill in time so he didn’t have to talk about the eagles. Either Tim still sooking about something, or has no idea who the west coast eagles are.
A few media types (Brown for example) are well over the tireson tanker -they see his bitter life and constant distraction from the melbourne failure for what it is

A few media types (Brown for example) are well over the tireson tanker -they see his bitter life and constant distraction from the melbourne failure for what it is
And others in football - Juddy's response when Gary said earlier this month that Judd should resign as CFC Football Director?

“You won’t be surprised to know I don’t look at him as a shining light on how I should act."

792A906E-EFD2-4154-977D-1166825BB936.png

Someone needs to explain basic geography to victorians

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-14/sliding-doors-round-13

Perth to brisbane 4313 - ie 8626km return

2x 3420 to melbourne - ie 6840km return

15466 km in 3 weeks
Adelaide to shanghai 7540 - ie 15080km return

Adelaide to Launceston 1258. - ie 2516km return

17586 km in 4 weeks.

Except our travelling doesnt end there - it keeps going.

View attachment 691952

Someone needs to explain basic geography to victorians

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-14/sliding-doors-round-13

Perth to brisbane 4313 - ie 8626km return

2x 3420 to melbourne - ie 6840km return

15466 km in 3 weeks
Adelaide to shanghai 7540 - ie 15080km return

Adelaide to Launceston 1258. - ie 2516km return

17586 km in 4 weeks.

Except our travelling doesnt end there - it keeps going.
Honestly don't think he even considered the WA teams in that statement, more the Victorian teams who whinge about their one roadtrip a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back